If blatter gets his way !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, how is this not going to affect the tactical decisions that managers can make during a game given that at least 6 "nationals" have to be on the pitch at any one time? Forget 6 + 5 - from a tactical perspective, many managers will likely opt for a 9 + 2 to give themselves maximum flexibility.

It's not 6 on the pitch at any one time, its just 6 nationals starting. If we were struggling to find 6 we could just start an English kid and sub him after 5 mins for Arteta, Cahill or Yak ;)

Why is it a bad thing ? The only question should on how to implement it carefully and in a proper way without too much disruption to the teams within the Premier league .

my first question would be about how it was implemented, would players like anichebe and yobo count for us, having grown up in england (as they were once eligible for the english national team).

tbh i think 6 is a bit extreme, lets think about that 6 english players per team starting, for the top 7 teams thats 42 players starting, obviously all of them aren't going to be international quality.

i feel this will have the impact of causing the best english players to gravitate towards top clubs, if a club like arsenal have to lose international quality players, they will look wherever they can to replace them, and pay any money, which means english players will become insanely overinflated.

also, our steals like cahill, arteta, pienaar will all be less valuable, because they'd take away from our 5 foreign player allocation. poorer clubs can compete with the rich largely because of shrewd investment outside of the overinflated english market, and as it will be difficult to purchase english players out of england, that option will severely diminish.

basically, i really do like the intention of the rule, but as mourinho had said, its impossible to have the best club league and best national team. the rule will segment the transfer market completely, creating one domestic market and one foreign one. further, if this was instituted across europe, every country's players would institute it, which would cause all around inflation of players, and would most likely lead to players being strongly sought by clubs in their home countries (cos they're 6/5ths as valueable as other players right off the bat). i like the blending of players right now, i enjoy seeing club teammates shake hands before they square off on the international level, and i'd rather not see europe revert to feudal nation states with very little overlap.

It's not 6 on the pitch at any one time, its just 6 nationals starting. If we were struggling to find 6 we could just start an English kid and sub him after 5 mins for Arteta, Cahill or Yak ;)

isn't it a bit stupid to have to make beuracratic substitutions, not substitutions for the sake of improving ones game?

i really think this whole thing will take the football out of the focus of the game, its a great idea but i can't see it working out well

all teams will have to have 6 players eligible to play for england in the starting XI)

Hmmm I wonder how exactly that would be applied. As 6 players who at that moment are eligible to play for England ? Or six players who have been eligible to play for England but have opted to play for another national side they are also eligible for ?

If the latter then there is going to be enormous pressure on players eligible for more than one country to opt for England even though they have no hope of ever making the English team. And at the same time it will work against national sides which do not have strong domestic leagues, and which could have had the option of picking eligible players from other leagues.

Southall as far as I know did not have an English grandparent and so could not have played for England. Sheedy though was born in Uk and eligible for England. Likewise Vic - born in Nigeria of Nigerian parents but brought up in England and carrying an English pasport. Eligible for England but opts to play for Nigeria. Osman too - wants to play for England but time is passing - why should he be penalised if he was given the chance to play for Cyprus and accepted?

On the other hand Arteta is now eligible for an English pasport and has been passed over for the Spanish team - nothing to stop him taking British nationality and being eligible for England.

Doesn't sound to me like it will do anything other than further confuse matters.

Last edited:

It will never happen - theres more chance of michel platini winning a weight-watcher of the month award!::D

They wouldn't dare upset the likes of arsenal / the shi*e and give us unfashionable clubs an advantage - never ;)

i don't think it will or should happen. clubs should be free to sign any player, regardless of nationality, as long as they comply with the relevant employment laws.

Why is it impossible to have the best league in the world coupled in turn with the best International team ? I appreciate that the Special one knows his stuff but on this one I have to disagree ...strongly .

English players have been sidelined far too easily since the Premier leagues inception in preference for supposedly better players . They have been held back thus hindering their progression . See James Vaughan .

Its seen many good players filtered out to the Lower leagues and making the ones who remained available for vastly inflated prices . See Andy Johnson . Confidence in Football is paramount and English footballers have had it knocked out of them for far too long .

Its time to level the playing field once again

Why is it impossible to have the best league in the world coupled in turn with the best International team ?

I appreciate that the Special one knows his stuff but on this one I have to disagree ...strongly .

English players have been sidelined far too easily since the Premier leagues inception in preference for supposedly better players . They have been held back thus hindering their progression . See James Vaughan .

Its time to level the playing field once again

I think the short answer to your first question is that the English team has never been particularly good, in part down to innefective coaching, selection and tactics., and in part because the players are over paid, spoiled, ill disciplined and have grossly over inflated ideas of their own abilities.

The exception was the 66 team, which was in some ways a fluke, adding home advantage and some dubious refereeing to what was indeed an above average squad, some of whom proved able to punch well above their weight - which is what knockout cup tournaments should be all about. Most importantly they all played their socks off because they really wanted to win.

With a very few exceptions all the players to represent the English national side since the creation of the premiership have been drawn from 'top level' leagues so there's no truth to the claim that they are being sidelined.

And unlike the 66 squad they have no shortage of experience of the playing styles of the top players from other national teams.

When Christiano Ronaldo colluded in having Rooney sent off in the 2006 WC - Rooney could hardly claim surprise afer all he kicks a ball round with the cheating tw*t six days out of seven for 10 months of the year. An advantage none of the 66 team had.

Last edited:
isn't it a bit stupid to have to make bureaucratic substitutions, not substitutions for the sake of improving ones game?

yes it is stupid, just like this rule imo. the substitutions would most likely improve the game though as we would have our best players on the pitch, and we would avoid punishment for not complying with the rule. Its not something i would do though, Everton would probably manage anyway.

on the surface it could be a good idea. there would be an improvement to english academies and players like Rodwell and Gosling getting more regular starts would improve their game and consequently the national team. but there are problems such as richer clubs raiding our academies, inflated prices, selection problems and players decisions about national selection being swayed. Victor chose to play for Nigeria and his summer at the olympics with them was a great experiance for him, would he have been swayed to choose england if this rule had been in place?

If it were this 6 + 5 rule came in to place who would you put on from the current mob? Is it 5 national and 6 international players? Everton already puts on 5 national players regular right?

If it were this 6 + 5 rule came in to place who would you put on from the current mob? Is it 5 national and 6 international players? Everton already puts on 5 national players regular right?

Having a quick look at the "Full strength team" thread most people had 5 or 6 in: Hibbert, Jags, Lescott, Baines, Osman and Neville. But then a lot also think Hibbert, Osman and Neville need to be replaced as we move forward and even though that might end up being with Vaughan, Gosling, Rodwell and Baxter that still would mean needing to buy other quality eligable players to cover injuries and unfit players. With other clubs needing to do the same it would make it harder to compete. Would our eligable players for the "6" remain at everton if other teams are offering them double the salary?

Right now it would mean we couldn't play Howard, Pienaar, Cahill, Fellaini, Arteta and Yakubu in the same side from the start.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.