Jack Rodwell - Potentially World Class?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He starts against Ukraine in England's second group game of the U21 Euro's tonight. Next to Mancienne and Henderson in a three man midfield. Kicks off in 5 minutes (7.45pm).

Streams:
http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=119700&part=sports

Come on Rodders.

Edit: that Ukrainian national anthem's a bit of a dirge.

Update: No-one else arsed about this then? It's nearly half time and me stream's throwing a wobbler so I'll do an update now. England have been poor in general, with the exception of the two center halves, and Rodwell and Henderson have both looked very anonymous. Rodwell's probably had the ball a little more than Henderson, but I'm not sure that's to his credit given how little he's done with it. Got booked for a rash challenge after his own poor touch had allowed the ball to run away from him. Not a good performance so far from our Jack, but that's true of the majority of England's players.

Sturridge hit the bar after about 30 minutes with a peach of an effort from miles out. Very little attacking threat otherwise.

Last edited:
Rodders has been pants, but not alone in this. Danny Rose has had a shocker and Wellbeck gets penalised every time he challenges. Henderson who??? The Ukraine have a player called Bilyy which amuses me though. :)

Need to find out Jacks preferred position, it it's cm as j cemte of the field next to Felli, then we're quids in. If he fancies anywhere else he is screwed.

Bottom line is that he has not developed at all since he burst onto the scene 2 years ago. What he needs right now is 30 PL starts a season, and he's not yet mature enough to get even half of those. Chicken and egg.

World class? Sorry no, not where he currently is. Evidently not even top PL class. Another example of too much too soon for a young boy. He needs to knuckle down and work on his game.

Does anyone think he'd benefit from going out on loan to a Championship side that could guarantee him playing time?

Rodwell didn't get the ball much for those 56 minutes he was on the pitch. When he did, there was some good and some bad but overall his play wasn't really aggressive and lacked a bit of urgency. The yellow card he got on the sliding tackle was ridiculous. His leg wasn't raised and got the ball and nothing else with his foot. The momentum of the slide caused his torso to knock the guy off balance and he fell. I've seen that called a foul before but a yellow card was just silly. The substitution might have been half due to Rodwell's ineffectiveness and half due to that yellow card and the fact that the ref was handing them out like candy. Lansbury who came on for Jack was even worse.

It's hard to judge this performance just because the England squad as a whole were so poor. Very little passing and movement. It seemed everyone just wanted to make a move for space and shoot from long range. Jack came in off the left side, passed it to Rose and made a run down the side but instead of playing a 1-2, Rose turned inside and promptly lost the ball. There was another instance of Jack making a run and Rose didn't see him. They ran into each other and lost the ball. He had one good chance at the top of the box, made a good first touch to turn left and tried to pass off to the wing but was blocked. He got the ball back, turned and tried to pass to the right and was blocked again. He was surrounded by 4 defenders but really needed to find the open guy with one of those passes.

I'm not sure if he'll get the start in the next match. England are up against it and have to win against the Czech Republic on Sunday.

Last edited:
Good answer sharron.

Potentially a decent prem player yeah but world class? No way, that's just wishful thinking.
I think that's about right. He's definately got it in him to have a good premiership career, and maybe even be one of those players who everyone bums for a year or two like Barry, Milner, Parker etc before him. But World Class is just unfair to the kid, that's a crazy level of expectation.

Frankly I think all this hype has largely come from him just looking like a superstar footballer, which he does. If he looked like Steve Bould there'd be nowhere near as much hype.

He's a good project for Moyes and his staff to work with. How good he becomes will depend largely on the coaching he's given over the coming years. His physical attributes make him a good blank slate for a coach to work with.

Bottom line is that he has not developed at all since he burst onto the scene 2 years ago. What he needs right now is 30 PL starts a season, and he's not yet mature enough to get even half of those. Chicken and egg.

World class? Sorry no, not where he currently is. Evidently not even top PL class. Another example of too much too soon for a young boy. He needs to knuckle down and work on his game.

This is true. But potentially he is. He's 20. Give him another couple of years before we write him off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back