2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to echo what others have already said, but isnt it propa tragic we have the best player we have had in how long? ( Certainly by far the best in my lifetime ) and we can't even be at goodison to watch him.
Flip this and it’s also true! Imagine how he’d enjoy playing in front of an, atmospheric, packed, noisy, bear pit that Goodison can and will hopefully be again soon! I suspect his performance would go up another level!

Only 3 assists for 9 goals from HamRod4000? FFS, not good enough.

Any other team and it would be 30 assists. Not his fault the rest of the donkeys have either missed sitters or go offside time and again.

I wonder if James sometimes just sees Tom Davies pass the ball out of play when under no pressure at all and thinks "wtf is going on" lol

Ball was a brilliant player, a force of nature, a fantastic combination of technique, aggression, and intelligence. He was not as naturally gifted as James, who, in turn, has nothing of Ball's perpetual motion. They are very different players.

If James is half as effective as Ball was in an Everton shirt, he'll be a roaring success. But it's not hyperbole to say that Rodriguez is a more talented technical player. There is a difference between talent and effectiveness. Ball had loads of talent, but his other qualities made him wonderfully effective. James is even more technical, but will need to go some way to be as effective. But he's a magnificent footballer, capable of brilliance that others might see but fail to execute.
I mean football in the 60s is a completely different sport.

use a time machine to throw them in a game now and Jesse Lingaard is better

the tactical, technical and physical attributes are worlds apart

The games are miles apart but give those players the same leaps in science and technology etc. then they could easily be better than the current players, nobody knows its all hypothetical

The games are miles apart but give those players the same leaps in science and technology etc. then they could easily be better than the current players, nobody knows its all hypothetical
Of course, but what I’m saying is is that football is played with a much greater level of physical and technical skill than it was in the 60s, so you could argue Ball was a better player for his time, but he was not better at playing football

but also as others have said it doesnt need to be a debate. Dean was a legend, Ball and Southall legends, hopefully James will be a legend. I guess it’s a modern brat twitter trait we have now of where everyone is judged against others. Messi can’t just be great cos to some ronaldo is better which somehow limits Messi achievements in their eyes

when you see a stats sheet on Kane the comments are of how he can’t lace Thierry’s boots, no trophy etc

when Baines retired and it showed he was t he greatest assister from defence all the comments were red scruffs saying Trent has the record in another season or two

i hate modern football

His intricate passing is the best I've seen. Ridiculous ability, the average footballer earning £100k a week simply can't do the passes he pulls off.

It is off the scale how much brain/feet talent is involved in the pass he made to Richarlison. Off the top of my head it's stuff youve seen from iniesta, David Silva, and de bruyne...... I honestly haven't seen an everton player do those passes. It's a God given talent

Of course, but what I’m saying is is that football is played with a much greater level of physical and technical skill than it was in the 60s, so you could argue Ball was a better player for his time, but he was not better at playing football

but also as others have said it doesnt need to be a debate. Dean was a legend, Ball and Southall legends, hopefully James will be a legend. I guess it’s a modern brat twitter trait we have now of where everyone is judged against others. Messi can’t just be great cos to some ronaldo is better which somehow limits Messi achievements in their eyes

when you see a stats sheet on Kane the comments are of how he can’t lace Thierry’s boots, no trophy etc

when Baines retired and it showed he was t he greatest assister from defence all the comments were red scruffs saying Trent has the record in another season or two

i hate modern football
The big difference between Rodriguez and all the other players you mention is that they played nearly every week, let’s see how often James plays and how often he performs like he did versus Sheffield Wednesday.

Can’t teach talent mate you have it or not I firmly believe greats will be greats in all eras

His intricate passing is the best I've seen. Ridiculous ability, the average footballer earning £100k a week simply can't do the passes he pulls off.

It is off the scale how much brain/feet talent is involved in the pass he made to Richarlison. Off the top of my head it's stuff youve seen from iniesta, David Silva, and de bruyne...... I honestly haven't seen an everton player do those passes. It's a God given talent
His mental speed and brilliance is difficult to grasp. His teammates are not mentally fast enough to understand him.

His mental speed and brilliance is difficult to grasp. His teammates are not mentally fast enough to understand him.
On an amateur level I used to be pretty good at spur of the moment passes where I seen it and executed it.. I'm talking about bypassing two overweight lads to put a player through...... If given time to think I couldn't do it as well. Which is quite common.

This lad is playing a game that is 10x faster, with top players who are trained to not leave angles and he is looking for these passes..... Not instinctively but mindfully which I believe Is harder.... He probably has other options to consider at the same time.

For me the stuff he does is the most difficult to do on a pitch. Plays with his head up whilst players are doubling up on him.

Talent wise and I'm 45 soon ... It James, Rooney, Trevor Steven and Sherry as the best I've seen in a blue shirt ,- Beardsley too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back