2021/22 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say we were better last year. I just don't think we're improved when you consider the quality that has gone out and then come in.

We rely on Townsend for our creativity now. He is a step down on James.

We have a poorer back-up goalkeeper.

We have a back up striker that is at least more than we could say last season, but Rondon is going to need a lot of time to get anywhere close to speed. I'm talking months, here.

The one area we've really freshened up is Gray and I am delighted with his signing.

We still have no pace in our midfield, all we've done is let Doucoure off the hook a bit.

We are missing quality in attack and we lack any control in how we play - that has been consistent in every game so far this season.

We need our best players fit but it's a very, very, very average squad.

I wasn't Carlo's biggest fan in the back half of last season but if we get 59 points this year I'll be very surprised (and happily so, too)
We came two places lower than under the disastrous Fat Sam ...... Than the big spending Carlo........

He apparently has very good man management skills though
Yes it's called being aloof and not talking to players.
You can imagine that it works a treat.

Worked for Brian Clough but that was a long time ago and whether its right or wrong modern players just won't tolerate that approach.

We've gone from soft Carlo to dinosaur Benitez.

What a club.

I don't blame Rafael. It's how he saw the situation and how he deals with it.

Pretty sure Mosh and Brands knew about this when they made him manager and allowed it to happen.

It only seems like I "love" Benitez because of the extreme levels of weird hate displayed by a handful of refuseniks on here. What I actually say about Benitez is that he's our manager, he gets my support until he gets us into any trouble...and we could be in a lot of trouble this season if we're not careful.

It's all hands to the pump, unless you want the club to go on a suicide mission to get rid of another manager in-season and with this squad still there for any other manager to come in and have to get into shape.

If you care more about the club rather than your own selfish ends to rid a manager then you simply get behind the manager.
Like you did with Koeman

I think regardless, the quality even if it remained, wouldn't have been of any use anyway, as it was very clear James didn't want to play.

We're missing that quality, and I completely agree, but it's not sustainable keeping James on his wages, to sit around, not giving a toss. We have needed to for years change our model, and sign players with upside and resale value, like we did with the likes of Lescott and even though we never actually sold them, Cahill, Arteta, Jagielka etc... James was brilliant, but was a short term fix, which has left us where we are now.

To be honest, I don't understand what Benitez' gained from making excuses. If he came out and said The Club can't afford him or James wants to leave, people would immediately have diverted any blame.
Was it?

He played in every pre-season match, has trained for the last four weeks since coming out of COVID isolation and simply wasn't selected in the squads because we were trying to move him out. He wasn't injured on Saturday at all, the deal was being struck with Al Rayyan.

Look at our current options, the team we put out on Tuesday and how they played. We're crap.

We came two places lower than under the disastrous Fat Sam ...... Than the big spending Carlo........
We got 12 more points under Ancelotti last season than in our Fat Sam season

I wasn't impressed with CA at the end of last season. He gave us some great matches and performances but overall the back half of the campaign was poor. I was consistent on that from Jan onwards.

But if we get 59 points this season we'll have done well. However, 59 points is usually more than enough to get you 10th

Status
Not open for further replies.