2023/24 James Tarkowski

If we conceded that same goal today but Keane did what Tarkowski did the fume would've reached new levels never seen before. If I'm pinning the blame on any individual for the goal it's Young but even if you rate the guy you've got to admit it was very very poor from him as well. Gets away with a lot on the basis of being ever so slightly better than the rest in a truly abysmal set of defenders at the club.
You would rather have Keane then?

Massively overrated if Keane played like him today he'd be getting slaughtered (rightly so). Even the 'bang average' or 'decent bottom half defender' shouts are generous imo. Looking forward to his post match interviews though where he talks about the lack of quality up front.

Be nice if they took the burden off the lads at the back so he isnt wrong at all.
Of all the issues we have i think tarkowski is way down the list of them.
Have to keep a clean sheet every single game just to nick a point.

You would rather have Keane then?

That's not what I said at all. I've acknowledged he's the best of a truly awful bunch of defenders, that obviously includes Keane. But that goal today was the kind of defending I'd expect from Keane, and he would've rightly been slaughtered for it, however Tarkowski seems to get away with only a fraction of the criticism. Just because Keane is a worse defender doesn't mean he should get away with that level of defending.

Yeah you can blame him for the goal, but harsh imo.

You can blame Young for not stopping cross coming in or Patterson for not getting round on the cover

But in those situations, late in the game, you're looking for your keeper to help you out + take control.

If you can't catch it, get something on it.
Pickford takes lion's share of responsibility imo. Didn't do anything.

That's not what I said at all. I've acknowledged he's the best of a truly awful bunch of defenders, that obviously includes Keane. But that goal today was the kind of defending I'd expect from Keane, and he would've rightly been slaughtered for it, however Tarkowski seems to get away with only a fraction of the criticism. Just because Keane is a worse defender doesn't mean he should get away with that level of defending.
Maybe because Tarks has consistently been our best player over the last season. Getting beat in the air is not really a mistake when it happens on rare occasions but Keane is more inconsistent rather than consistent hence the pelters.

You do know that modern football always has someone to blame for every goal conceded. I agree some are howlers (like keane) but some are just being a fraction too late or a perfect cross etc. All goals have an element of blame through the line of play even great goals can be diminished via TV analysis

Awful today, how he’s captain is beyond me. Left his man for the goal, pointed at Pickford for the silva chance - it was Tarkowski’s to deal with. Passing not great, his concentration levels are shocking, I think coady made him look good last year when he played. He’s an old school centre half who gives 100% but sorry he’s not captain material, last 3 games he’s been poor.