January 2015 transfer window ( No GIFs allowed )(Nor fish puns ffs)

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 28206
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
point taken on the International U21s.

But if Arsenal had sent a player to a Burnley/Leicester type club for two years (one year in Division one, one year Championship) then released him because he was too old for their U21s and not good enough for their first team squad. Would you be happy spending £3.2M on him to go into our first team?

People are going mental over Wigan players not being nowhere near good enough and most of the ones talked about have Premiership experience if not an FA Cup medal.

If he was anywhere near good enough Valencia would at least given him a shot at the first team, he's a Championship/lower Prem player at best. Yes he's the only option on the table (because people haven't decided they hated him yet) but we don't have to take it just for the sake of it.
I think you have misunderstood what happened. They didn't release him. His contract had 18 months on it and he wanted first team football. Also the release clause in his contract was 7m euros however Valencia have been trying to extend the contract for the last 12 months however Gil didn't either agree to being bought out this time last year or sign a new contract instead waiting to see if he would get first team opportunities this season because he is a childhood Valencia and David Silva fan. He only became available because he wanted to go and even with that said I think Valencia's manager still got a buy back option installed.

btw - He did play for their first team this year but wasn't a starter.

Has Pato managed to keep himself fit for a sustained period of time? If he has ill be quite happy if we signed him, if not, its going to another Traore isnt it? Paying so he can sit on the treatment table for six months.

I think you have misunderstood what happened. They didn't release him. His contract had 18 months on it and he wanted first team football. Also the release clause in his contract was 7m euros however Valencia have been trying to extend the contract for the last 12 months however Gil didn't either agree to being bought out this time last year or sign a new contract instead waiting to see if he would get first team opportunities this season because he is a childhood Valencia and David Silva fan. He only became available because he wanted to go and even with that said I think Valencia's manager still got a buy back option installed.

btw - He did play for their first team this year but wasn't a starter.
Basically what I'm saying is this one was a no brainer. The same way Besic was a no brainer.

RM has not said that he can't afford players he has said that January is not really the time when good players are available. There is nothing wrong with that.

If we are going to bring in a player on loan they must be able to make an impact immediately. We should have learned from the Traore episode last season. There are very few players that clubs are willing to loan out that will make a big impact on our season.

The best chance is signing a player that is within months of the end of their contract and clubs will not risk losing them for nothing. But then a club like Burnley may decide that keeping a player like Ings until the summer will be far better value than selling him now if he helps keep them in the premiership and they will get some compensation for him anyway.
These transfers will likely happen at the very end of the window as is usually the case.

As much as I want players signed, I really want to see players arrive that can have an impact on our club for years to come.

The idea that there is no 'value' in January is pure BS. Firstly, because there is no bloody 'value' in the Summer either, and you will find that good players sold in the Summer are still extremely expensive and sold at a massive premium. Secondly, January is a time when many players will be out of contract in six months, meaning they are actually a lot cheaper.

That 'no value in January' excuse is just a re-hash of an old Moyes and Kenwright excuse for not investing in January. We really NEED to invest this January though, given that Martinez has us performing at a level worse than 1993/94.

Basically what I'm saying is this one was a no brainer. The same way Besic was a no brainer.
Fair enough, but to me the fact he ended up at a desperate Villa (* see point below for clarification :-)) says it all really. You'd have thought someone else higher up would have been interested even if it was just for a sell on in the next couple of years if he only ends up being a fringe player.

(Yes, I know they are only a point below us. Villa will be in the relegation fight, we won't. We CAN play much better than we are doing right now and will at some point (last year showed that), but I don't think Villa can)

Well this one made me laugh from Sky Sports

evertonofficial says...
28/01/15 9:36am
I work at Everton and we are on the verge of signing striker Miroslav Klose on a 2.5 year contract.

And one for Moomin from Sky Sports rumours

howe says...
27/01/15 1:39pm
Sunderland and Bayern Munich are in a swap deal which involves Cattermole and Muller

RM has not said that he can't afford players he has said that January is not really the time when good players are available. There is nothing wrong with that.

If we are going to bring in a player on loan they must be able to make an impact immediately. We should have learned from the Traore episode last season. There are very few players that clubs are willing to loan out that will make a big impact on our season.

The best chance is signing a player that is within months of the end of their contract and clubs will not risk losing them for nothing. But then a club like Burnley may decide that keeping a player like Ings until the summer will be far better value than selling him now if he helps keep them in the premiership and they will get some compensation for him anyway.
These transfers will likely happen at the very end of the window as is usually the case.

As much as I want players signed, I really want to see players arrive that can have an impact on our club for years to come.
There is something wrong with that. It's rubbish.

It's a common excuse that gets said every year to justify not spending money.

The idea that there is no 'value' in January is pure BS. Firstly, because there is no bloody 'value' in the Summer either, and you will find that good players sold in the Summer are still extremely expensive and sold at a massive premium. Secondly, January is a time when many players will be out of contract in six months, meaning they are actually a lot cheaper.

That 'no value in January' excuse is just a re-hash of an old Moyes and Kenwright excuse for not investing in January. We really NEED to invest this January though, given that Martinez has us performing at a level worse than 1993/94.

If their out of contract and there's no fee involved in six months how can it be cheaper to pay a fee for them now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back