Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need to be more imaginative then, Gueye and Sneiderlin, they offer meager support play that funnels any of our threat out to the flanks or just going long. Rooney is currently saving the day in there, but how awful did we look without him yesterday and as age approaches the laws of diminishing returns kicks in.

I personally think so, we resort every game to camping our own 18 yard box because the centre halves don't have the confidence in themselves to push higher. This has the knock on effect of dragging the midfield deeper to block space for the opposition number 10; which then further expands the space between our midfield and striker. The primary reason (both players are obviously young and have limitations in their game) why absolutely nothing stuck with DcL or Sandro is because when they received the ball they had no options at all as the midfield was 20 to 30 yards behind them.

Bottom line is we need a centre back to partner Keane who is quick, technically sound and most importantly of all, not named Ashley Williams.

I personally think so, we resort every game to camping our own 18 yard box because the centre halves don't have the confidence in themselves to push higher. This has the knock on effect of dragging the midfield deeper to block space for the opposition number 10; which then further expands the space between our midfield and striker. The primary reason (both players are obviously young and have limitations in their game) why absolutely nothing stuck with DcL or Sandro is because when they received the ball they had no options at all as the midfield was 20 to 30 yards behind them.

Bottom line is we need a centre back to partner Keane who is quick, technically sound and most importantly of all, not named Ashley Williams.

Holgate ?

Nah but this guy I know is and is reliable

lol

Another CB who is 30? We love diminishing returns at this club. Would rather sign one of Keane’s former partners at Burnley.

Better to have Holgate + Keane + Mawson from Swansea @Eggs

Surely klassen is worth sticking with,there must be a player there

Unless he's give up and downed tools

never was suited to this league.

If we can get any sort of return on the outlay for him I would snap their hands off. A very poor purchase for this leagues demands.

Agreed, 15mil id snap someones hands off for...incredibly stupid signing.

We should take Kenedy off Chelsea, plug that LB/left midfield position. He's a handful.

I read it was "screw China".

Not enough to put anyone off him signing I dont think.

Anyway, he's a decent player and would do a job I reckon.

He was actually on a tour in Chine with the Chelsea squad.

He uploaded videos using his fingers to make 'squinty eyes' and made some comments...

This is a clear sign the bloke has issues.

Mason Holgate.

In any case, I think youre focusing too much on the 'here and now'.

Right now were playing like this under Allardyce and have clearly been drilled on how to play to stop conceding...gradually we will push onto a high line but notice he went with Holgate/Williams then Keane/Jags. Looks to me as if hes using the older heads to give the 2 younger players confidence and when he's ready will play Holgate and Keane together.

Ive been banging on for several years on here about faster defenders coming in so we can play a high line.

Kenny/Coleman--Holgate/???--Keane/???--???/????

You can see the issue is we cant play a high line every game without those two centre backs playing and a faster left back signed. Baines cant play a high line...then weve no backup for 4 positions so would need to change tactics if anyone was out.

Another factor of course is if Cuco played further up the pitch its a free attack.

I think once a left back + a centre back with more pace (to compete with Holgate/Keane) are signed we will push further up then Allardyce will work on the midfield tactics....and finally the forwards.

In my opinion (and @Eggs has mentioned him too) id go for Alfie Mawson as our 3rd centre back and punt the rest...he's not actually the fastest I think but positionally he looks spot on. Otherwise someone with pace...maybe that's this Konsa from Charlton?

For left back I think we need to go for an u21 player whose rapid and can provide attacking threat. Sessegnon, Tierney, Martin, Chilwell...or similar.

Just need to have a little patience, Allardyce is doing things the right way
We cant

Mason Holgate.

Right now were playing like this under Allardyce and have clearly been drilled on how to play to stop conceding...gradually we will push onto a high line but notice he went with Holgate/Williams then Keane/Jags. Looks to me as if hes using the older heads to give the 2 younger players confidence and when he's ready will play Holgate and Keane together.

Ive been banging on for several years on here about faster defenders coming in so we can play a high line.

You can see the issue is we cant play a high line every game without those two centre backs playing and a faster left back signed. Baines cant play a high line...then weve no backup for 4 positions so would need to change tactics if anyone was out.

Another factor of course is if Cuco played further up the pitch its a free attack.

I think once a left back + a centre back with more pace (to compete with Holgate/Keane) are signed we will push further up then Allardyce will work on the midfield tactics....and finally the forwards.

In my opinion (and @Eggs has mentioned him too) id go for Alfie Mawson as our 3rd centre back and punt the rest...he's not actually the fastest I think but positionally he looks spot on. Otherwise someone with pace...maybe that's this Konsa from Charlton?

For left back I think we need to go for an u21 player whose rapid and can provide attacking threat. Sessegnon, Tierney, Martin, Chilwell...or similar.

We cant

I agree with most of your post but a little confused why you think I'm too focused on the 'here and now'. Shouldn't we always be focused on the here and now?

I'd like to think that Jags and Williams won't be here next season, they can do a job camping our box but as time goes on we simply can't play that way. A centre back to partner Keane would go a long way to fixing this problem. As for Holgate, all good clubs with European ambition need 4 centre backs. I'd absolutely want him to be one of those 4 alongside Keane, a new signing and Funes Mori (unless we want to replace him too). We still need another centre back though.

We have a nice run of playing utterly dross sides now so I'd like to see Keane & Holgate form a partnership for the time being.

lol

Better to have Holgate + Keane + Mawson from Swansea @Eggs

never was suited to this league.

Agreed, 15mil id snap someones hands off for...incredibly stupid signing.

He was actually on a tour in Chine with the Chelsea squad.

He uploaded videos using his fingers to make 'squinty eyes' and made some comments...

This is a clear sign the bloke has issues.

Mason Holgate.

We cant

..i like Mawson, he plays with real confidence and has a very good goalscoring record for a CB. I agree, though, about the need for pace and athleticism throughout the team. There have been increasing links with Lille defender Soumaoro including a report Walsh has been to watch him. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the defender that comes in. 6ft 1in, looks in the Micah Richards type physical mould but there’s not much to see on YouTube.

..i like Mawson, he plays with real confidence and has a very good goalscoring record for a CB. I agree, though, about the need for pace and athleticism throughout the team. There have been increasing links with Lille defender Soumaoro including a report Walsh has been to watch him. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the defender that comes in. 6ft 1in, looks in the Micah Richards type physical mould but there’s not much to see on YouTube.

I really want more height in our back line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back