Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can’t tell me that they would either.

It’s literally the same thing we hear when a player doesn’t play. Oh they’d solve all our issues.

It’s amazing how good some of our players get when they don’t play.

Absolute joke. Just imagine how poor they must look in training to not get a look in when we are so poor.
To some extent you are right in what you say. I agree the players not playing are normally championed over the ones that are.

In sandro and klassen case, we have 2 players who last season scored and assisted far more than most of the players we are playing this season. The argument is them not settling yet but they also never gets chance to settle. I mean imagine signing a player from another league and never play them but constantly say they haven't adapted?

They both might be not good enough for us, or the wrong players but we will never know this unless we give them a chance to actually stake a claim. It's appalling treatment by 3 managers here now to throw them into impossibly situations and use that as justification to them not playing.

To some extent you are right in what you say. I agree the players not playing are normally championed over the ones that are.

In sandro and klassen case, we have 2 players who last season scored and assisted far more than most of the players we are playing this season. The argument is them not settling yet but they also never gets chance to settle. I mean imagine signing a player from another league and never play them but constantly say they haven't adapted?

They both might be not good enough for us, or the wrong players but we will never know this unless we give them a chance to actually stake a claim. It's appalling treatment by 3 managers here now to throw them into impossibly situations and use that as justification to them not playing.

It could be that yes. For sure.

But could you not also say that for three totally different managers all to not pick them is quite telling too?

I doubt we’ll ever know to be honest. I see a player in Sandro personally (sadly I don’t in Davy), but I doubt we’ll ever see it here now.

Antonio is not a left back mate, he has never played a single game there in his career, he's basically a right mid whose been played in practically every other position (striker, left mid, right back etc) besides for left back though :)

All the cool kids are playing wingers as full backs these days. I’d love him here to be honest.

I look at our squad and think any manager would struggle to get a decent first XI out of it.

As I've been saying since Lukaku/Barkley looked like they were off, with Baines, Coleman, Jags and Williams finished (or injured) major rebuilding was required.

I didn't forsee the collapse in form of Schneiderlin which has added to the woes.

But a front 4 of Tosun/Rooney/Siggy/Bolasie is as bad as it gets. Individually they are all fine (midtable) players but the skills don't complement each other. It isn't like they are youngsters, it is a dad's army attack. None would have a sniff of the top 6 clubs and most of the league wouldn't want them. That is £90m of Walsh approved deals.

DCL/Lookman/Vlasic have shown flashes of talent.

Midfield is awful - we don't have a passer or someone who can drive forward with the ball. It isn't as if they are solid either. Klaassen/Scheniderlin cost over £50m.

Defence - Keane and Williams represent £40m of investment. Keane's success was in a very, very deep defensive line. I pointed that out before we signed him. Did our scouts consider that?

That is £180m of first team signings - too soon to judge Tosun as a player but he is a massive failure in value for money terms -who would be massive losses if resold and only Keane/Klaassen are pre-preak ages.

Absolutely woeful so far.

It could be that yes. For sure.

But could you not also say that for three totally different managers all to not pick them is quite telling too?

I doubt we’ll ever know to be honest. I see a player in Sandro personally (sadly I don’t in Davy), but I doubt we’ll ever see it here now.
It may well be. I don't know what happens on the training ground and they may be just not good enough. I just feel they have the attributes on paper to contribute positively but just don't get a chance to show it. It's almost like moyes never playing youth players because he couldn't trust them, yet that meant there was little chance for any young player to then prove themselves in the team.

I look at our squad and think any manager would struggle to get a decent first XI out of it.

As I've been saying since Lukaku/Barkley looked like they were off, with Baines, Coleman, Jags and Williams finished (or injured) major rebuilding was required.

I didn't forsee the collapse in form of Schneiderlin which has added to the woes.

But a front 4 of Tosun/Rooney/Siggy/Bolasie is as bad as it gets. Individually they are all fine (midtable) players but the skills don't complement each other. It isn't like they are youngsters, it is a dad's army attack. None would have a sniff of the top 6 clubs and most of the league wouldn't want them. That is £90m of Walsh approved deals.

DCL/Lookman/Vlasic have shown flashes of talent.

Midfield is awful - we don't have a passer or someone who can drive forward with the ball. It isn't as if they are solid either. Klaassen/Scheniderlin cost over £50m.

Defence - Keane and Williams represent £40m of investment. Keane's success was in a very, very deep defensive line. I pointed that out before we signed him. Did our scouts consider that?

That is £180m of first team signings - too soon to judge Tosun as a player but he is a massive failure in value for money terms -who would be massive losses if resold and only Keane/Klaassen are pre-preak ages.

Absolutely woeful so far.

Tosun a massive failure value for money - errrm why exactly, he's played 60 minutes, looked pretty decent tbf, and he cost less than 20m quid, (as the rest 5m is in bonuses)

Tosun a massive failure value for money - errrm why exactly, he's played 60 minutes, looked pretty decent tbf, and he cost less than 20m quid, (as the rest 5m is in bonuses)

His age means he has limited resale value. No objection for the type of fees/wages for a youngster but at 26 he has very limited potential to increase in value.

£120k a week over 5 years and £20m fee comes to £50m.

His age means he has limited resale value. No objection for the type of fees/wages for a youngster but at 26 he has very limited potential to increase in value.

£120k a week over 5 years and £20m fee comes to £50m.
We're about to buy a 29-year old for the same money.

For the umpteenth transfer window in a row, can we please have some ball players, players that aren't scared of the ball and can pass it around preferably forwards. What I'd give for an arteta or pienaar these days

Like Éver Banega. I think He cost 9 million Euros last summer to Sevilla . Yet he has more skill than any player we have.

So frustrating the money we have spent we can't play football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back