Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, but a lot of the play is. Defenders need to frankly, be able to defend. Aurier is on the touch line. If you want Siggy back as a LM instead of a more attacking player, that's fine, but he's never played that position in his life. What SHOULD happen is not have some LM sitting back there, but since Eriksen isn't going to play wide, your LB, being your one, quick, agile defender in a wide position, should GO OUT AND GET HIM. That would require one of our two DMs to cover left middle or possible our CBs. And push a LW up in BEHIND Aurier and attack that side all match. Or our CF. That's a positive tactic.

But your LB is on the 18, one of your DMs is whiffing on tackles and letting them waltz right down our gut on the counter, and even when you do win it back, no one can carry the ball forward or pass it from the back, with any precision or efficiency. Instead it's a pure hoofball up to an isolated CF.

Even when we won it, the lack of a counter was just so pathetic.

So yes, WE NEED A LB. We also need a Doucoure type as well and it would be nice to have a CB that could mark someone in space. Coleman could help at RB because JonJoe isn't looking good.

Without those players, it will and SHOULD be packing it in every game. Super defensive tactics IMO.

When the ball is on the LW, where it was, the LB for us tucks in. This is basic football. The opposition RB on the touchline can only hurt you if you make the ball to him easily.

To say that Siggy was only bought for offensive reasons like @trueblue10 is insinuating is tosh. A large proportion of the game will be spent without the ball, especially away, so he needs to be able to defend.

But he didn't. He made the pass a piece of cake and forced Martina into a decision. The distance between him and Aurier is huge which means he's caught in two minds as to whether he will get there in time. Instead he stays and hopes to guard against a tap in from Kane et al. He didn't do this well because his body position is wrong but the theory of his thoughts was understandable. You can visibly see he is caught in two minds.

We basically allowed Spurs to do to us what they did at Goodison. Overload one side, quick switch and hope to isolate our full back.

It's a mixture of Allardyce / Siggy / Martina. Not the latter alone.

When the ball is on the LW, where it was, the LB for us tucks in. This is basic football. The opposition RB on the touchline can only hurt you if you make the ball to him easily.

To say that Siggy was only bought for offensive reasons like @trueblue10 is insinuating is tosh. A large proportion of the game will be spent without the ball, especially away, so he needs to be able to defend.

But he didn't. He made the pass a piece of cake and forced Martina into a decision. The distance between him and Aurier is huge which means he's caught in two minds as to whether he will get there in time. Instead he stays and hopes to guard against a tap in from Kane et al. He didn't do this well because his body position is wrong but the theory of his thoughts was understandable. You can visibly see he is caught in two minds.

We basically allowed Spurs to do to us what they did at Goodison. Overload one side, quick switch and hope to isolate our full back.

You left out Walsh and Koeman too ;)

Gylfi is right footed, I don’t think I have seen him use his left foot once this season.
Martina has no excuse for tracking Son there left winger and leaving his man free and then the player he was supposedly marking scored anyway.

All of this is the managers fault, if your gonna put square pegs in round holes in an average team like ours you are always gonna come unstuck. Big Sam has took all the plaudits in the good games and deflected any blame in the defeats.

I’m not even gonna start talking about Rooney, be here all day.

So the situation we are in is all down to the 3 managers we have had this season?

The fact we are putting square pegs in round holes is because we have no square pegs left.

How many more are we going to go through before somebody realises the players may have something to do with it?

Koeman, Rhino and Sams record this season are all about the same.

Apart from Cenk Tosun, the same players are there week in week out.

There is only so much rotation you can do with a set amount of players.

I don't see how sandro could have scored less than DCL... I also don't see how klassen could be worse than Davies in possession or cover less ground or donless tackles than Morgan. Maybe he would have been but we havnt seen enough to judge ... that's the point

Sandro would have scored about the same as DCL maybe. Because we don’t axtually create any chances for the striker Tel.

We haven’t seen enough of them mate. But people who actually make decisions have.

Especially in games we expect to do a lot of defending. Its almost like he doesnt adjust for the opponent.

Drop Rooney? Or drop Gana/McCarthy/Schneiderlin and play Rooney CM with Sigurdsson in #10 ? Without stating obvious he's wasted out wide. Bring Lennon in on left to protect Cuco?

For me too much shuffling and "what ifs" to get a truly settled side right now !!

Eh, I get what you are saying, but I wouldn't counter the overload with Siggy. He can defend fine, but let's first talk about what happens once Aurier gets the ball because this idea that the huge distance between Martina and Aurier makes it OKAY for Martina to sit back is counterintuitive. He's surely supposed to close down the distance once he gets the ball. Someone is. It has to be Martina because Sam was having Sigurdsson play higher. And yes, the overload was obvious, but someone has to engage those guys instead of just conceding space. That's not on Siggy, that's on McCarthy for getting bypassed in the middle and leaving us exposed. That's on Jags for sucking.

But seriously, Aurier was on the touch line the whole match at midfield. Do you seriously want to drop Sigurdsson 50 yards back from the RCB? Heck no. I would push one of my DMs forward to pick off those passes out wide like you said, but I would use Sigurdsson to do it. I'd use him to exploit the space behind Aurier. That's EXACTLY what I said in the game thread. Spurs were really playing 3 in the back, it would pull the RCB way right.

Look, even with that, Aurier is going to get the ball at times. Martina shouldn't be out there if all he's going to do is sit in the 18 and concede 50 yards. JonJoe backing up off Son for 30 yards, same thing. Play 3 CBs then.

Of course, we could just buy a new LB and a CM that can defend and pass. Buy a CB that can defend in space. Sell the rest of the lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back