Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what you mean, but Chelsea really weren't all that today. They ran out of ideas after about 20 mins without Morata and I think we should have troubled them a lot more than we did. Even if it was just winning a freekick up their end, or making them keep an extra defender back by skinning someone 1v1, a good striker would have made a difference. More generally, it's rare that we don't create any chances at home, even against the top sides. Steven Naismith dominated a few of these games at Goodison, don't forget. We certainly need more options than we have at the moment.

Oh for sure we need more options mate, and realistically we need options with genuine pace and the ability to be 'direct' and go past people, the pace players we do have all prefer to drop looking for the ball - Lookman, Vlasic and Lennon - even Mirallas before his legs went all do/did that. it congests things, slows us down and basically neuters any counters.

Basically we need a Vardy type striker and at least 1 other whose natural instinct is to bomb forward in one of the front positions. Barkley could be that other like, but chances are he's off in January unless something out the blue happens.

Im not a greedy man, as long as the 2 we get in are quality and don’t include Troy Deeney.

I'd just go for Shaw for left back - as the one we could realistically get (Tierney and other highly touted young lb's will probably wait it out for a bigger club to come calling).

Striker - Just want someone who actually has a bit of pace about them

and still think we badly need a cb with pace as well

and someone to replace Lennon whose good quality, because frankly any talk of trying to be a top 6/4 team becomes laughable when you see that we are playing him as one of our attacking options.

and thats before going through to other areas we aren't exactly top drawer in...

If Sam can continue to get a tune out of the 4 CBs we have (Keane was immense yesterday & Jags rolled back the years), then I’d say Left Back & Striker the only positions ESSENTIAL to fill in Jan.

Sincerely hope we go top class / 1st choice in those two slots. No squad filler.

Obviously, if we can upgrade in other areas, that’s a bonus. Rather use this season to bed players in than have a slow start to next.

Think we should be looking to loan out some of our younger players that aren’t getting in the team. The likes of Lookman and Vlasic could do with playing every week in the premiership. With Bolasie fit and Sandro in favour their chances are going to be even more limited.

The only players we bring in should be players that could get into top 6 sides.

Think we should be looking to loan out some of our younger players that aren’t getting in the team. The likes of Lookman and Vlasic could do with playing every week in the premiership. With Bolasie fit and Sandro in favour their chances are going to be even more limited.

The only players we bring in should be players that could get into top 6 sides.

Slight flaw in that logic though isn’t there. If they could get in a top 6 side, then why would they sign for Everton?

I'd just go for Shaw for left back - as the one we could realistically get (Tierney and other highly touted young lb's will probably wait it out for a bigger club to come calling).

Striker - Just want someone who actually has a bit of pace about them

and still think we badly need a cb with pace as well

and someone to replace Lennon whose good quality, because frankly any talk of trying to be a top 6/4 team becomes laughable when you see that we are playing him as one of our attacking options.

and thats before going through to other areas we aren't exactly top drawer in...
YES

Oh for sure we need more options mate, and realistically we need options with genuine pace and the ability to be 'direct' and go past people, the pace players we do have all prefer to drop looking for the ball - Lookman, Vlasic and Lennon - even Mirallas before his legs went all do/did that. it congests things, slows us down and basically neuters any counters.

Basically we need a Vardy type striker and at least 1 other whose natural instinct is to bomb forward in one of the front positions. Barkley could be that other like, but chances are he's off in January unless something out the blue happens.

I think Gameiro would be the closest thing to Vardy we could get.

A striker is part of the problem but not wholly the answer for me and particularly the risk adverse way we are playing at the back our transition is really bad.

How many times in the last few days have we seen a gaping hole between DCL and the rest of the team.

Pace will help the return of speedy support players like Baines, Coleman and Bolaise will assist.

But for me we need that centrally as well we need a number 8 and we also need a creative spark centrally, someone in the Lanzini, Mahrez, Payet mould. Someone who can transition play through vision, dribble, assist and score who can take the ball under pressure to trigger the former a new Arteta basically.

I dont think its a case even if we sign a striker that we will suddenly start scoring lots of goals our whole approach to scoring and supporting play and transition needs a lot of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back