January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seriously doubt that PSG are looking at signing Gueye unless at a bargain basement price as a short term solution.
He is a good player and has done well for us but there are lots of limitations in his play.
Longer term We would be hoping to replace him with a more balanced player.

I could see it. They’ve recruited poorly in recent years and probably want to keep the wage bill down with their front three on mega wages so have therefore looked to the likes of Diarra in midfield and Chupo Moting upfront. Gueye knows the french league, has good stats, and wouldn’t command huge wages. He’d also provide cover in an area of the pitch they don’t have. No top class holding mid at a CL side is going to move to PSG mid season especially with the likes of City also in the market in that position. I could see why PSG might throw a bit of upfront cash at a short term fix.

Yes now that I agree. I remember him at Roma (I tend to watch a lot of Serie A also) but they tried forcing him into a number 10 role like he played at Boca but that didn’t work out so they tried the number 8 and he wasn’t the most mobile. But I did hear he is hugely successful as a deep playmaker at Zenit playing the deepest mid almost every game

Played 6 very well at Empoli.

I seriously doubt that PSG are looking at signing Gueye unless at a bargain basement price as a short term solution.
He is a good player and has done well for us but there are lots of limitations in his play.
They are desperate for that sort of player though as the situation with Rabiot means that the manager is not allowed to play him in the team until he signs a contract (which of course he won't)

Leaving aside Gylfi's quality I think it is becoming increasingly difficult to accomodate him in a 3 man midfield which is why we are often overun.
His "gifts" are not sufficiently good to offset the lack of balance that comes with having him in your side.
IMO you would have to build your team around Gylfi and play him at the head of a 4 man diamond in midfield to get the best out of him , however I just don't think that he is good enough to justify that.
Me and my buddies were running the option of playing Gylfi as a CF with Bernard and Rich on either side.

Played 6 very well at Empoli.
I think with all the high press games teams are playing in the league a deep playmaker will be able to take the sting out and find the open pass to break down the press and send us on the counter. And against teams like Newcastle or burnley or Leicester that pack it in he’ll be the one to march our team up the field when the break isn’t on

Not many of them about these days, a proper box to box lad, can pass, can shoot, is a leader and drives his team like a proper captain used to(would cost an arm and a leg in todays game). Not really sure what sort of answer you were after there, care to explain.
Yeah I suppose, there hasn’t been a roy Keane type player since roy keane. Souness would have fitted that category but he was even earlier. I suppose I was trying to point out that they aren’t really part of the modern game and we would struggle to find one.

I thought roy Keane was the ultimate midfielder, but I’m not sure how he would cope with the current lack of physicality in the modern game.

Considering when Brands came in one of his jobs he said was to help with the young players and help to develop them, why since he came have we never seen any of the young players at least on the bench, are they not good enough?.

Interesting but presumably he would be a false 9 - a bit like Firmino
Exactly. He’s proven he can score from inside and outside the box equally so him lying deeper off the line would be a dangerous position for him and would force a team to commit a cb forward (allowing Bernard and Rich more space) or drop a cm deep (allowing Gomes more time and space to pick a pass or carry it forward)

The way they attack attack I think Gueye would be perfect for them. Leave him deep and tackle/break down play. He has his best Games when left to do that here.

@Nymzee imagine a team with Paredes as the deep playmaker, Gomes providing support for both the defense and the attack, and Bruno Fernandes as our engine that specializes in pushing forward with the team.

Gomes- £25m
Fernandes- £35m
Paredes- £30-35m

That’s 95m for the trio and half of that is paid for by the sale of Gana alone (if the 40m offer is true) then add the money from Besic and McCarthy and should be a net spent of around £40m. That’s less than siggy alone.

(I know this is all just a pipe dream but also all intriguing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back