Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not that easy mate, 99% of the strikers in the football world will not be good enough to play for Everton. We are in 7th place in arguable the first or second best league in the world. That means the pool of strikers available to us will not be great straight away. Then you have the fact that it is January and any centre forward good enough to play for us will be heavily involved in a team that is only half way through a season and either he will not want to leave, or the manager will not want the player to leave until the summer.

The argument that we had the summer to buy a striker I fully agree with, however the manager came in and decided to spend the summer assessing his squad. This meant he has been able to allow the youth, that was capable of it, to prosper(if most on here had their way we would have signed enough players in the summer that Holgate and Davies would still be names we hear about now and again in the reserves). On top of that, in them summer months assessing the squad he has quickly established which players are 'deadwood' and he has moved nearly all of them players on inside 6 months.

I understand the thirst for new players, and even more so a centre forward. But if you look at the bigger picture this manager has not put a foot wrong since he walked in the door bar maybe a dodgy goalkeeper signing and a run of 10 poor games when it was pretty obvious he was still working the players out and they were him. This man will not settle for second best, if we haven't signed a forward it is because he doesn't want any available to him.

Perfectly put - Only have to look at West Ham and their desperate attempts to sign strikers, granted i would say they aren't at the same level of appeal as us even with the new stadium but what top class striker is willing to join a top club outside champions league to play second fiddle to Lukaku. Youth isn't the worst option, only have to look at United with Zlatan and Rashford.

Yeah I alluded to that in my post mate.

Who else do you think could make the step up though other than those I mentioned?

PS I purposely left Walsh out as we're quite stocked at CM anyway.

No idea but id like to see a couple more kids signed especially the u19 keeper from sheffield as we seem to be lacking there

Its not that easy mate, 99% of the strikers in the football world will not be good enough to play for Everton. We are in 7th place in arguable the first or second best league in the world. That means the pool of strikers available to us will not be great straight away. Then you have the fact that it is January and any centre forward good enough to play for us will be heavily involved in a team that is only half way through a season and either he will not want to leave, or the manager will not want the player to leave until the summer.

The argument that we had the summer to buy a striker I fully agree with, however the manager came in and decided to spend the summer assessing his squad. This meant he has been able to allow the youth that was capable of it to prosper(if most on here had their way we would have signed enough players in the summer that Holgate and Davies would still be names we hear about now and again in the reserves). On top of that, in them summer months assessing the squad he has quickly established which players are 'deadwood' and he has moved nearly all of them players on inside 6 months.

I understand the thirst for new players, and even more so a centre forward. But if you look at the bigger picture this manager has not put a foot wrong since he walked in the door bar maybe a dodgy goalkeeper signing and a run of 10 poor games when it was pretty obvious he was still working the players out and they were him. This man will not settle for second best, if we haven't signed a forward it is because he doesn't want any available to him.

Everybody should have to read this before posting 'why haven't we signed a striker ffs!??'.

No idea but id like to see a couple more kids signed especially the u19 keeper from sheffield as we seem to be lacking there

I have no idea if Hirst, Ramsdale or Adarabioyo are any good, but I kind of want Everton to force through all three transfers today because "screw everyone else, we're cornering the market on young English talent and no one's stopping us."

upload_2017-1-31_11-48-35.webp

This is the calibre of player available in January by the way. Please, take your pick.

I'd like to see more kids purchased as apart from Davies they seem to be the ones we are having success with. I wouldn't expect much more if any of our academy players breaking through now. If they were good enough they would be in now. Age is irrelevant as has been proved with Davies.

I have no idea if Hirst, Ramsdale or Adarabioyo are any good, but I kind of want Everton to force through all three transfers today because "screw everyone else, we're cornering the market on young English talent and no one's stopping us."
That would certainly be one type of signaling intent. Add in the Brazilian, too.

Still, gotta believe we have an attacking player coming in today, even if it's just a bench option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back