Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
how far down your list do you go?
no point ending up with another pudding when theres not a lot to play for this season.
Disagree immensely. Think everyone who matters (ie: not Chelsea/Spurs) above us are very suspect and feel like the wheels of Liverpool have well and truly fallen off. We're not 'close' but 9 points isn't insurmountable.

We're hitting a nice patch of form. Why couldn't we sneak in?

RK has indicated that he first said no way to losing Oviedo as he was needed for cover but he changed his mind seemingly for compassionate reasons.
He says it may turn out to be a mistake as Galloway def isn't coming back until summer but he thinks cover can be found, if needed, amongst the current squad.

Well let's look at our signings shall we.
Gueye - Spent all last season in the Prem, not exactly a hidden talent.
Bolasie - I will leave this short as I've already been banned becauae of my feelings toward him. Already established. Crock. Rubbish.
Williams - 30 something international captain, played in the prem a long time.
Stekelenburg - Again, established international who has played for some of Europes larger teams.
Valencia - lol
Calvert-Lewin - Played alright, will wait on this one.
Lookman - As above, just scored a goal is the difference.
Schneiderlin - French international who played under Koeman, also played for the biggest club in the world. Hidden gem? No.

I'm not even bothering with Donk, he's playing for the kids.

So there's 8 transfers in since he's been here, 2 have been unearthed kids from the lower leagues.

He's hardly doing much work when the rest are all established.

I reckon that Ivan Perisic would be good for us, try and sign him.

Easy.

He's pathetic.

You're totally and utterly missing the point of his job. It's not to find 'hidden gems'. That's a side effect. His job is to identify players that fit exactly what the manager's requirements are. Think about what we needed - the TYPE of player, stylistically - in each position, and go through the list.

Gueye: More bite in midfield. Aggression. Energy. Tick.
Bolasie: we basically don't know due to the injury.
Williams: Leadership and no-nonsense quality in defence. Tick.
Stekelenburg: He was bought initially for cheap experienced GK backup who was happy to be on the bench. Tick.
Valencia: Last minute bodies needed.
Calvert-Lewin: Needed a second striker type player for the U23s intially. Tick.
Lookman: Needed a fast skilful wide forward to compete with Mirallas. Tick.
Schneiderlin: Needed a younger Barry. Tick.

So we bid on 2 forwards, have both accepted and don't bring in either(for obvious different reasons). At that point wouldn't you move down the list? I don't get it. You target players in a certain position because you see that as being an area you would like to strengthen in. And then you do nothing to strengthen?

A crazy notion this, I know, but just go with it for now...

As you work DOWN a list, you realise that the players are getting progressively worse, and (here's the clever bit) at some point they actually fail to STRENGTHEN you. At that point some people might say 'stop, don't buy', but hell, wtf do they know huh?

You're totally and utterly missing the point of his job. It's not to find 'hidden gems'. That's a side effect. His job is to identify players that fit exactly what the manager's requirements are. Think about what we needed - the TYPE of player, stylistically - in each position, and go through the list.

Gueye: More bite in midfield. Aggression. Energy. Tick.
Bolasie: we basically don't know due to the injury.
Williams: Leadership and no-nonsense quality in defence. Tick.
Stekelenburg: He was bought initially for cheap experienced GK backup who was happy to be on the bench. Tick.
Valencia: Last minute bodies needed.
Calvert-Lewin: Needed a second striker type player for the U23s intially. Tick.
Lookman: Needed a fast skilful wide forward to compete with Mirallas. Tick.
Schneiderlin: Needed a younger Barry. Tick.
Can you not interfere please. I am trying to wum and you are ruining it!

RK has indicated that he first said no way to losing Oviedo as he was needed for cover but he changed his mind seemingly for compassionate reasons.
He says it may turn out to be a mistake as Galloway def isn't coming back until summer but he thinks cover can be found, if needed, amongst the current squad.

Garbutt? Due back from Wigan loan according to the OS?

He was talking about youth players. You have to assume Foulds as he's the U23s left-back? Not sure what he's been like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back