Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we are going about things quite well and am particularly happy with the outgoing deals we have managed to produce.

Need wages and squad numbers for all our shiny new players next season lads.

No need to panic.

We have replaced Stones with Williams, Jags with Holgate in defense, giving us a stronger defense.

We have replaced Barry with Schneiderlin, and McCarthy with Gueye in the midfield.

Uptop we have replaced Del with Lookman.

We have 4 new starters out of 7 in defense and in the midfield compared to last season, and we have two up and comers in Davies and Lookman that by the end of the season may likely starting 2 more spots. That's a lot of changeover for one year, and while the offense hasn't seen much change, perhaps that's why we have seen the defense greatly improve to third in the league.

I don't think we have replaced stones yet mate. Ash for me is a stop gap to tighten up and be a leader.

VVD/ Keane signing would be stones replacement for me long term.

I'd like to think we have replaced Niasse with lookman allowing us him Mirallas and Lukaku to be 3 options ready for 2 slots with backups like Enner until summer.

I am very impressed with our mid options if we can replicate that across the pitch we will be top4 contenders.

I suspect that will take 2-3 more years but at the rate we are going at losing deadwood we are CLEARLY moving forward and not linked with Hull defenders like Martinez would of signed.

My only worry is the glass ceiling will be back and clubs like Spurs will be ahead of us due to not being BOLD and going all out for players in a window, we may lookback as this window as the last window we had lukaku and we may say 'aghh why did we buy kone niasse and enner as backups instead of getting someone to support him to fire us up the table'

Time will tell we aren't oracle's but at present time we can call it a relatively ok window.

12 minutes until the day to end all days. Lock up your daughters, take the phone off the hook, lube up and prepare for a Royal Blue Transfer Fisttm (January transfer deadline day edition, three year warrantee or 10,000 elbow deep thrusts).

He's been busy this window, he absolutely cleared the deck of waste and made us mega spends.

It's hugely impressive stuff.

Couldn't agree more. I didn't think they'd get Gibson off the books, and if Niasse sticks at Hull Walsh may indeed be a wizard.

The snag, of course, is depth. In the coming months, Walsh and his team are going to be drawing up plans for situations where they need to sign between 7-10 players in the next window. Could have some long nights ahead.

I think we are going about things quite well and am particularly happy with the outgoing deals we have managed to produce.

Need wages and squad numbers for all our shiny new players next season lads.

No need to panic.

I think this is sound looks like we are lacking bit until summer but i'd rather have a u23 lad on bench to be fair than Kone who offers nothing.

My gripe with the manager at first is his 1 window he produced things like bringing Kone on v spurs. Worried me, I am starting to take a liking to him now he is ruthlessly removing dross.

People are happy that we've bought a couple of good players, which we have, but when you look overall, none of the players we've bought can't be accounted for by the extra TV money the club has access to.

We can say we're loaded and as ambitious as much as we want but until we have proof in a transfer window that we are I'll still remain to be convinced.

I do think we'll get the new stadium built but on paper we've been in this position before when Kings Dock was being talked up but all it ended up being was talk.

I'm not saying Moshiri is a fraud but he hasn't backed up his ambition with real intent in the transfer market and the fact that Koeman felt the need to put pressure on the board to buy players is a worry to me.

Spending more than other clubs in the January transfer window, when we spent nothing in the summer window doesn't prove ambition. In some ways you could argue we haven't spent any more than we'd have expected to spend if Kenwright was still in charge.

I still remain to be convinced about our ambition. At the end of the day talk is cheap and all we've had from Moshiri is talk. Until a spade goes in the ground or we start buying players that we consider above our station I'll keep tempered expectations.
The stadiums being built, that's almost 100%. Liverpool council are building a train network there and improving the road there to a duel carriage way, why would they waste that money on a dead area?

In terms of transfers we spent loads in the summer and another 30 mil so far in Jan. No point buying players who don't improve your team or squad. We need to buy decent players now not crap like Gibson and Niasse.

Koeman's thinking more long term than I thought he might. If he was in it for a quick blast, he would have spunked money up the wall on all sorts.

But he's slowly morphing the squad into something resembling quality. It's crazy how much crap we've disposed of in the last few weeks, and the ins have been very promising.

A striker in tomorrow would be icing on the cake, but given the current state of play I'm pleased and optimistic.

Koeman's thinking more long term than I thought he might. If he was in it for a quick blast, he would have spunked money up the wall on all sorts.

But he's slowly morphing the squad into something resembling quality. It's crazy how much crap we've disposed of in the last few weeks, and the ins have been very promising.

A striker in tomorrow would be icing on the cake, but given the current state of play I'm pleased and optimistic.
Striker and Keane and we've had our most productive window in yonks

doc151670158_414526260

People are happy that we've bought a couple of good players, which we have, but when you look overall, none of the players we've bought can't be accounted for by the extra TV money the club has access to.

We can say we're loaded and as ambitious as much as we want but until we have proof in a transfer window that we are I'll still remain to be convinced.

I do think we'll get the new stadium built but on paper we've been in this position before when Kings Dock was being talked up but all it ended up being was talk.

I'm not saying Moshiri is a fraud but he hasn't backed up his ambition with real intent in the transfer market and the fact that Koeman felt the need to put pressure on the board to buy players is a worry to me.

Spending more than other clubs in the January transfer window, when we spent nothing in the summer window doesn't prove ambition. In some ways you could argue we haven't spent any more than we'd have expected to spend if Kenwright was still in charge.

I still remain to be convinced about our ambition. At the end of the day talk is cheap and all we've had from Moshiri is talk. Until a spade goes in the ground or we start buying players that we consider above our station I'll keep tempered expectations.

Think this is spot on, think summer will be the real test when Lukaku is sold and new USM deal takes place we will have no limit to spend (Within reason) We could easily blow over 100 mil that window or will another sell to buy window be on the cards just like when Stones was sold.

Couldn't agree more. I didn't think they'd get Gibson off the books, and if Niasse sticks at Hull Walsh may indeed be a wizard.

The snag, of course, is depth. In the coming months, Walsh and his team are going to be drawing up plans for situations where they need to sign between 7-10 players in the next window. Could have some long nights ahead.

I think there is more then meets the eye with the Gibbo and Oviedo deals as well, I wouldn't be surprised if we went out of our way to give particularly Oviedo to them in their hour of need. I have a suspicion we may have signed a first option deal on Pickford for the summer.

With the likes of Davies, Calvert Lewin, Holgate I think we are pretty much covered in depth for 18 games. I also wouldn't mind seeing Dowell, Walsh and one or two others on the bench either.

The deadwood I think was a severe block on the pathway from the youth team and U23s to the first team, I think there is a strategy in place and now their is a bridge there. It will be a balance of development and also signings.

I'm not to bothered about any more incomings, only if vastly improves us, if we did a Valencia type short term deal I'd be well annoyed. What we have and youth is enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back