Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our business doesn't exactly scream "big money ballers", but getting rid of deadwood is always good. Getting rid of 90% of Martinez's dregs, well, that's great. The few signings we've made are looking good as well.

But much like the summer, the manager has come out and said we need X players, we need a Y, we need a Z etc, and we've not actually achieved that. It doesn't really mesh with the grand new vision we're being told about it.

We only have the league left so I don't think we need a huge squad. Clearly if there's someone we want and we can wait until the summer, then it will be cheaper and probably a more viable time to buy. I also think it shows Koeman has faith in our younger players, knowing that we're only an injury away from having to utilise even more. But I was hoping for another striker, and as ever, a playmaker.

I think that's more the system than the personnel. Nearly everyone is playing better and that isn't because of Bolasie.

It is the system, but that's because we're not going through someone as poor as Bolasie is. We play a far more varied style - hence why you get Davies threading passes through to Coleman in the box now, for example. In the system with Bolasie, we'd work it wide and he thumps it over Lukaku's head and out for a goal kick.

The system we used with Bolasie simply didn't allow anyone to play well - everything broke down due to him. Not his fault as such as he simply couldn't perform the role asked, but I'm happy he's out and we fixed it instead of persisting.

In the summer we need....

Goalkeeper to be No.1
Backup fullbacks x2
A shiny new centre half
A striker
A winger
A second striker
A new lukaku contract
Sell Mccarthy
Sell all those currently on loan (excluding kids)

Not too much to ask.

Keeper - Yes, Pickford
Centre-half - Yes, Mikey Keane
Fullbacks - Depends if we're sticking with this 3-4-3/3-5-2/5-3-2 or whatver it is. We've got a few RB's at Youth, probably need a LB
Striker - Yes
Winger - Again, depends
Second Striker - If you're chatting someone who sits off, again it depends. If you mean a second new striker, yes
Lukaku - Needs doing after the window, not the Summer
McCarthy - Aye, probably but Koeman likes him. A good offer and he's gone
Loans - Can't recall a full list off the top of my head of whose out on loan but assume there's a few there we won't miss

Bingo. Giz a job Farhad.

We've spent £30+ million this month, how much proof do you need?

I'm happy with the transfers we've done but the money we've spent in this window, deducting the 9m for Oviedo and Gibson + the 1m for Holgate's loan is all covered by the extra TV money. There's no evidence to suggest we ever had anything like the 100m that was banded about by the itk's and newspapers when Moshiri took over.

If Kenwright was in charge I'd expect us to have spent similar amounts to what we have in the last two windows. If we're being positive we can say they're saving it until the summer but Koeman had to come out and put pressure on the board to get players in, worrying sign to me. At least a sign that doesn't suggest we're about to spend a lot of money in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back