Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean an 18 year old with no top flight experience and still learning the game?

Yeah that works as well. I remember all the successful teams who have one striker and a kid as back up, erm.....struggling here with one.

Is this the answer? Have the reserves fighting for a place in the team? Balls to signing players at all then, always an academy player there ready to fight for a place in the team.

Just wondering, we have had like one academy player come through in the last what? 6 years in Davies. Before that Rodwell, why all of a sudden has our academy gone POOF squad full of players ready for top level premiership football?
Man City?

Aguero and Iheanacho?

I'm happy with the transfers we've done but the money we've spent in this window, deducting the 9m for Oviedo and Gibson + the 1m for Holgate's loan is all covered by the extra TV money. There's no evidence to suggest we ever had anything like the 100m that was banded about by the itk's and newspapers when Moshiri took over.

If Kenwright was in charge I'd expect us to have spent similar amounts to what we have in the last two windows. If we're being positive we can say they're saving it until the summer but Koeman had to come out and put pressure on the board to get players in, worrying sign to me. At least a sign that doesn't suggest we're about to spend a lot of money in the near future.
We wouldn't if spent under Kenwright. That's been proven over and over again. And we've loaned out Holgate? Now I'm fuming.

Our business doesn't exactly scream "big money ballers", but getting rid of deadwood is always good. Getting rid of 90% of Martinez's dregs, well, that's great. The few signings we've made are looking good as well.

But much like the summer, the manager has come out and said we need X players, we need a Y, we need a Z etc, and we've not actually achieved that. It doesn't really mesh with the grand new vision we're being told about it.

We only have the league left so I don't think we need a huge squad. Clearly if there's someone we want and we can wait until the summer, then it will be cheaper and probably a more viable time to buy. I also think it shows Koeman has faith in our younger players, knowing that we're only an injury away from having to utilise even more. But I was hoping for another striker, and as ever, a playmaker.

Here is me hoping AUBAMEYANG comes here is the summer then.

Why all the hate for bolasie when he was fit Barkley was dire no confidence and was messing up left right and centre. Barry showing his age jageilka giving more pens away than a bookies team not playing the way Koeman wants. Now team has players who are desperate to impress ( Davies and lookman) and quality in centre of schniderlin. When bolaise is back he will offer us skill speed and directness looks like the poor lad is the new whipping boy eh

The point is to improve the first team, which then improves the squad.

You don't buy to just have better than Kone; you buy to compete with Lukaku.
In the long term yes. In the short term we now have no back ups to lukaku that have had more than you can count on one finger of premier league experience. Valencia isn't a striker , more of a wide player so not comparable.

In the short term we need to at least have some back up. If it isn't competition 2 years down the line then fine, move them on and find someone who is. But I'm talking back ups not building the team for 5 years time. Gabiadani may not have been the best player ever but at least he is back up and more importantly a different option to rom.

Because thst is what people forget, we have no other options. If Ross plays terrible, no one to replace him with. If rom is out of form, we have no one. If we pick up a couple of key injuries , we still have no options.

And without options gives you the cherry on the top, no competition. So players know they are pretty much guaranteed a place in the team because there is literally no one else to replace them.

It is the system, but that's because we're not going through someone as poor as Bolasie is. We play a far more varied style - hence why you get Davies threading passes through to Coleman in the box now, for example. In the system with Bolasie, we'd work it wide and he thumps it over Lukaku's head and out for a goal kick.

The system we used with Bolasie simply didn't allow anyone to play well - everything broke down due to him. Not his fault as such as he simply couldn't perform the role asked, but I'm happy he's out and we fixed it instead of persisting.

You speak some tosh quite routinely, but even still, that is some supreme tosh right there.

He had a couple of meh games before the injury, but he showed before he can consistently beat his man and deliver goalscoring chances for fun. His assists, as well as the opportunities made which were somehow missed (e.g. Ross's point blank wide header), were plentiful.

He is a good player, and even as a big fan of Kev, I'd say he's easily our best winger. It's a shame he got injured. To think his injury was the pivotal moment though is a bit bizarre. There are about 5 players in the world you build a team around, and Yannick Bolasie, God love him, is not one. If he was fit now we'd be doing the same stuff, but we'd have a bit more power, pace and ingenuity to help us do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back