Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I quite like it to be honest. Were unlikely to get top 4 so it gives the whole squad and u23s a chance to make a place for themselves next season.

Its shown that if they dont hit the heights then they also can leave...

However, next summer is crucial. Weve strengthed 2 positions now and need to do double that in the summer which shouldnt be impossible.

Think that post should be tagged onto the end of this thread Zat, when that may come :)

Well reasoned, sensible and not too dramatic either way

Its bizarre that you have omitted players that have played a significant number of games this season and to dceent standard as well. You can't just take out the lines of Baines and Williams who are over 30 yet have had good seasons and there is no indication that this won't continue into next year. Of the older players only Jags and Barry look like they will be phased out in the short term. You've also obmitted McCarthy who accoridng to quotes this morning Koeman has talked up and Besic who may prove himself. Whilst there are question marks over how Bolaise will recover he is still part of the squad at the moment and will hopfully return. I'd also suggets that the fact Browning signed a new deal, unlike others, before going out on loan suggests he is part of the managers thinking.

Pressing needs for the summer are first choice keeper, first choice centre back and first choice wide attacker. After that it's a case of strengthening the squad like a back up centre forward.

The one thing the cull may do is give the chance to a few of the younger players to show that they can provide the number sto bulk up the squad and challenge the senior players as Davies, Holgate and Clavert-Lewin have done.

It's a view of longer than 1 season mate which is why i left out the oldies as i said.

Also, McCarthy i personally cant see staying beyond the summer nor besic unless he gets fit. Bolasie i just want to forget about tbh.

Its a great chance for the kids to show what they are made of.

I don't disagree one bit that the squad needs an overhaul. Anyone with a pair of eyes can see that (and I only have one personally), this is a legacy of a previous regime; too much chaff and filler. Too many prospects or projects bought in; it's harder to shift this lot than it is to find replacements - but as a business they can't all sit on the balance sheet simultaneously.

Where has £70m gone? With the aspirations we have £70m will buy a club 3 players usually. We've improved our goalkeeping situation, added some steel and voice to what had become as wishy-washy a defence as I can recall seeing, added two complete 'modern-day' central midfielders and signed Bolasie as well (I don't necessarily have the ire towards him that you do, but I would like to see some end product should he return successfully from his injury)

It's not going to push us straight into the top 4, but then what would? Chelsea & Man City both had to gradually trade up their player quality to establish themselves as contenders. Probably more misses than hits on the way too. If we're aiming to join that elite, we can't expect it to be an overnight transition.

I know you have a reputation to uphold, and if we're still having this debate come August I'll be firmly on your side of the fence. But post-January transfer window isn't the time to bemoan what I'm positive the club are making efforts to undertake.

One important thing to remember was that Chelsea were already a top 4 Champions League club when they got bought out, so they were always going to get where they needed to be quicker than others because they had a decent squad from the minute Abramovich took over, whereas we had a much poorer squad in need to a face lift

Yes:

Deulofeu and Oviedo should have been kept (we now have no senior cover at either LB or RB. The point is though we needed players IN.

He let them go because they were desperate to play football. I know it goes against the grain where you suggest RK has no people management skills but to me the fact he has let them go shows he isn't the barbaric dry no personality type you make him out to be.
Appreciate it doesn't suit your agenda .

Think that post should be tagged onto the end of this thread Zat, when that may come :)

Well reasoned, sensible and not too dramatic either way

Well, i also do see where @davek is coming from as the keepers (though i like joel) arent top notch + full back areas are weak on cover if Holgate stays at RCB. I think Kenny will come through but if Baines is out were goosed.

I do also agree with him on the worry about Lukaku not playing as we then lack a top forward...

So i can see both sides.

However, if before the window we knew who was out/in and we also knew that the loaned players such as Niasse would be gone in summer + GK/LB/CB/FW of star quality would come in then i think we would be quite happy.

Just need to make sure we finish the job in the summer.

He let them go because they were desperate to play football. I know it goes against the grain where you suggest RK has no people management skills but to me the fact he has let them go shows he isn't the barbaric dry no personality type you make him out to be.
Appreciate it doesn't suit your agenda .

To be fair, Koeman is a heathen.

Can tell from the posts that Dave is up to his old tricks again

Put him on ignore, your lives will be immediately improved

Those of you replying are giving him what he wants

We've had a fine window

1-- Do we have experienced full back cover if Holgate stays at Centre back?

2-- Do we lack a quality keeper?

3-- Have we an adequate replacement if Lukaku is out?

@davek is correct on all three points.

One important thing to remember was that Chelsea were already a top 4 Champions League club when they got bought out, so they were always going to get where they needed to be quicker than others because they had a decent squad from the minute Abramovich took over, whereas we had a much poorer squad in need to a face lift
Also was much easier to bully teams 10yrs ago . Even relegated threatened teams, under no pressure to sell now.

A good point Mikey.

Now who do you think should take our indirect free kicks in or around the centre circle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back