Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
1-- Do we have experienced full back cover if Holgate stays at Centre back?

2-- Do we lack a quality keeper?

3-- Have we an adequate replacement if Lukaku is out?

@davek is correct on all three points.

Don't really play full backs now .
We do but we also lack Messi. Name me one goalie you realistically would have signed that is available?
We have Valencia, Kev, Lookman , DCL who can play up top of required.

We do but we also lack Messi. Name me one goalie you realistically would have signed that is available?

Wing backs then... @davek is correct about that...impossible to argue on that point..

Keepers well for the right money there would be a few available. Pickford came back into training the other day, we could have got him and left him on loan for the rest of the season.

Valencia lol mirallas lol lookman/dcl are more the support act arent they.

I can see both sides but im just saying his viewpoint isnt incorrect

We have 16 games left mate.

Maybe he will play some of those kids you have been banging on about all season :zzz:

At least be consistent, or you will come across as grossly stupid as the bitter and twisted person you mention above.

Wing backs then... @davek is correct about that...impossible to argue on that point..

Keepers well for the right money there would be a few available. Pickford came back into training the other day, we could have got him and left him on loan for the rest of the season.

Valencia lol mirallas lol lookman/dcl are more the support act arent they.

I can see both sides but im just saying his viewpoint isnt incorrect

Which achieves what for this season? We'd have just overpaid for a player who could break his leg before we even see him.

As for the wing backs, Garbutt is back and we've got options on either side. Oviedo only went because he wanted to play games and Koeman allowed him to go.

The striker position is the one we're vulnerable in, but we have been for 3 seasons.

Two colleagues mate.

I mentioned it to a few on PM before the window and a few weeks back.

Couldn't be certain (still can't I suppose), but I was told that we were just one of the clubs to have scouted him since the season started.

Saints bid, got knocked back. By the looks of it we did as well.

And not sure. From what I've looked up of him (had never heard of him myself before November, when it first got mentioned), he looks like a forward who can play as 9 or out wide to good effect, and even as a second-striker.

So unsure if we'll be back in for him. I'd imagine he may have some pretty tasty options come summer if his form continues - had been playing really well apparently.

when Ballotelli was injured he was the main striker for a few weeks, scored a fair few including a hatrick, now that Balla is back Im guessing hes been pushed out wide or back to a no 10 again

It's a view of longer than 1 season mate which is why i left out the oldies as i said.

Also, McCarthy i personally cant see staying beyond the summer nor besic unless he gets fit. Bolasie i just want to forget about tbh.

Its a great chance for the kids to show what they are made of.

Fair enough but the quotes from Koeman imply McCarthy is in his longer term thinking, if not then Jan was the time to sell. Even looking more than one season into the future you still can't ignore Baines and Williams as they will likely still be pushing hard.

Agree with the view regarding the younger players, those not out on loan will never have a better chance to grab an opportunity if they can impress in trianing and the reserve team games

Before this thread goes to the archives, I just want to put on record that we had the best transfer window of any Premier League team and in young Lookman, we have an absolute steal. Guy will be an England regular within a few years and be worth £ms or you can all vault me

Jags can play anywhere, as keeper or striker. Moyes even used him as defensive midfielder and right back.

1. Do we need them? We dont currently play full backs. Well we play them, but not in a full back role. Holgate can shift out if need be and we have the likes of Lennon who can step in and do a job. He played Davies as a right wing back in pre season too.

2. Currently the keeper is fine. You will never get a proper keeper in January anyway.

3. Nope. But there aint many out there who would be adequate cover. Valencia and Mirallas are our options with Calvert Lewin and Lookman at a push being able to go there if needed. Obviously we need to hope Lukaku doesnt get injured but you can say that about most positions on the pitch.

We have 16 games left mate.

Maybe he will play some of those kids you have been banging on about all season :zzz:

At least be consistent, or you will come across as grossly stupid as the bitter and twisted person you mention above.

Stop being a nincompoop :)

Im simply saying theres two sides of the coin. My view differs from @davek but i understand his points and he isnt wrong.

Which achieves what for this season? We'd have just overpaid for a player who could break his leg before we even see him.

As for the wing backs, Garbutt is back and we've got options on either side. Oviedo only went because he wanted to play games and Koeman allowed him to go.

The striker position is the one we're vulnerable in, but we have been for 3 seasons.

Aye, but i believe @davek was saying we dont have experienced competition at full/wing back...he isnt wrong.

Personally i would have gone for pickford and left him there on loan...at least its a position we have sorted for the summer.

All im saying is that dave isnt wrong....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back