Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
what's so hard to understand?
January = mid season teams might struggle to find a replacement hence transfer fees inflate due to not wanting them to leave in the middle of the football season
Summer window = players can leave any time due to no football and the club having a bigger time frame to find a replacement.

I'm not struggling to understand anything. There's just no evidence of players being sold at discounts in the summer. All transfer windows are difficult, as Everton keep on proving.

I'm not struggling to understand anything. There's just no evidence of players being sold at discounts in the summer. All transfer windows are difficult, as Everton keep on proving.
Player A would be cheaper in the summer than in the winter due to it being in the middle of the season.
I don't have the evidence to back it up so you can just call me a mouth breathing ape if you want but I think it makes sense why player A would be cheaper when the football season is finito in the summer.

Who do you want to buy mate?

Dacoure from Watford, currently in a relegation battle, good luck getting him.
Zaha from Palace, currently fighting for a European spot, good luck getting him.

No, im not saying they are the only 2 players in the world, but I assume we want to be targetting good players at good clubs, most of those clubs are fighting for trophies or things, CL, Europa, so if you want to buy them, you have to pay a premium.

Theres many reasons people tend to shy away from Winter windows, its windows for the desperate.

View attachment 69010

We were supposedly in for the two players you have mentioned during the summer. I don't remember them being easily acquired at a cheap price. I remember them having inflated price tags and being incredibly difficult to acquire.

The summer window is longer. Some clubs will have more money during such months. But to completely neglect a January transfer window after only spending 25 million during the last summer window on the grounds that signing players will prove to be difficult is pathetic, and I genuinely fear for us if we once again don't even bother.

Player A would be cheaper in the summer than in the winter due to it being in the middle of the season.
I don't have the evidence to back it up so you can just call me a mouth breathing ape if you want but I think it makes sense why player A would be cheaper when the football season is finito in the summer.

We will have to agree to disagree mate. But if players are so much cheaper and easier to acquire in the summer months, then you have to wonder why Everton struggle to sign anyone decent in the summer and end up paying such over inflated prices for crap players.

We were supposedly in for the two players you have mentioned during the summer. I don't remember them being easily acquired at a cheap price. I remember them having inflated price tags and being incredibly difficult to acquire.

The summer window is longer. Some clubs will have more money during such months. But to completely neglect a January transfer window after only spending 25 million during the last summer window on the grounds that signing players will prove to be difficult is pathetic, and I genuinely fear for us if we once again don't even bother.

As I say, I suspect we will have a dabble, but there needs to be prudence.

And what does it matter this season if we are 10th or something?

Spending money in January should only be if we need to stay up or fight for top 4.

I realise thats not a popular opinion, but its a sensible 1.
I understand your point, but it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t sign a player that is a good deal for us and can improve us.

Note when they say free to sign, that only means a pre-contract so there'd have to be a transfer fee to get someone in January.

Meunier and Soumare on this list have both apparently been on EFC's radar.

Savic also looked interesting given the CB situation, but, drum roll, he's got a thigh injury...

January is very likely to be all about the exit door and how many we can try to send through it for whatever fee we can extract from those (mugs) buying.
Scarily, those mugs are likely to be few and far between because of the salaries some/all of our dross currently enjoy at our expense.

We have the players to win games easy.

To some extent we have a defence to not leak goals , injuries permitting.

Midfield has a bit of class about it with experience and winners mentality.

Just need to actually play to their strengths and not shoe horn them into a formation and never change it.

this is one of the wosrt everton squads assembled ive ever seen.. threadbare in literally every single position and full of mercenary footballers here just for the payday.

give me Osman , carsley and cahill over any of our current team.

im just hoping a new manager can galvanise them into something of a unit which will be able to at least contend matches

Last edited:

Hes building a squad for 2021/22/23/24.

Not for May 2020.

yeah lets just forget the 2 years inbetween and be very uncompetitive in the most competitive league there is..

seems like a wise idea

we should really romp that 2022 league one play off final

Scary how we had a net spend of roughly £25 million in the summer but we still desperately need a CF, CM, CB & RB.

Hopefully we can flog Tosun, Kenny and Holgate over the next 1-2 windows to help fund atleast one of those positions.

Note when they say free to sign, that only means a pre-contract so there'd have to be a transfer fee to get someone in January.

Meunier and Soumare on this list have both apparently been on EFC's radar.

Savic also looked interesting given the CB situation, but, drum roll, he's got a thigh injury...
Soumare can sign a pre contract?? Hes, what, 20? Would have to imagine signing him up one and then a pittance to Lille as they would want SOMETHING for him rather than lose for nothing.

what's so hard to understand?
January = mid season teams might struggle to find a replacement hence transfer fees inflate due to not wanting them to leave in the middle of the football season
Summer window = players can leave any time due to no football and the club having a bigger time frame to find a replacement.

Could say the same for the last 2-3 weeks of the summer window tho, teams can’t find replacements , yet we sign most of our players in that time.

We definitely need to sign a centre back in Jan. Some great deals have been done by other clubs in Jan and were in more need than most!

Id hope that we can sell Tosun + one or two others and bring in a centre back + centre midfielder.

Really need the players in Jan so they are able to bed in. Id also hope that we go for one or two south americans...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back