Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big trouble in what sense? To me the league is over already. Definitely worse teams than us for relegation and I can’t see us pushing into the European spots even when healthy.
Agree; don't need anybody in January. We are mid table mediocrity, and we will remain that whether we get in a CD of a CM.

Rather sack Silva at the end of the season when we finish 16th, get in a proper manager, and then strengthen the squad.

To put Brands perspective though, there is a premium to pay in January and availability of players.

We have 3 centre backs, while we may not particularly rate Keane he is perfectly fine at this stage (and is better next to Holgate). If an offer comes in for Keane I can see us moving him on and looking to bring someone in.

The same is probably true further up the pitch. If we move one or 2 on then maybe players can come in. However I don't think Brands is going to overpay for players who might not be the ideal solution.

There may be exceptions, as I said last year. I think if a young player is available who Brands feels may go up in value, potentially someone at massive knockdown price because of a free at the end of the season (potential Ryan Fraser?) or a loan becomes available I think he will take a view on it. But other than that I don't see much business being done.

The other points I'd add are that last season we improved having not added in January. While I don't think it's as simple and mechanical as that, there is a wider point to it. A team bedded in together and started to show it's best performances. There's probably a bit of that again with this group. We are beginning to find a balance, and new signings can potentially disrupt that.

The other point is, we do have some important players to come back. Gbamin and Bernard in particular will be back December and January respectively. Gamin obviously gives us another option at CB which is useful but will help our midfield. Bernard is one of our better players so he knits it all together (especially with Gomes out injured). You also add in that in all likelihood Gordon and Kean will be nearer the first team, and potentially Gibson and even Banningime may be putting some pressure on.

From the outside I think the club would be very open to losing Tosun, Niasse, Martina, Keane and Schneiderlin. I suspect that will be much of the focus.

I cant see us sitting on our hands...

CB: We will need one in the summer, could be we go for someone in Jan and let them adapt.

LB: Baines should be out in summer, we could move for a young LB in Jan to push Digne and Baines.

CM: Only Davies, Gomes (injured) and Gbamin (injured) should be currently considered going forward. Of the two injuries we dont know how long it will take for them to get match fit.

AM/WF: Iwobi, Richarlison and Bernard seem to be shoe ins with Gordon coming through to oust Walcott hopefully.

CF: Keans future seems to be up in the air with DCL as the only real alternative.

I would imagine that:

1 × CB
1 × LB
1 × CM
1 × CF or WF

Could be on the cards...my money would be on a CM.

Even having said all that, we are still short on numbers for a squad.

Pickford Lossl VIrginia
Kenny Sidibe (loan)
Digne
Mina Holgate
Davies Gbamin Gomes
Richarlison Iwobi Bernard Gordon
Kean DCL

Thats 17 players out of a 25 man squad.

Looking at the names as well, we lack a top class spine. If we were offering £50mil for Zaha and Doucoure then hopefully we go after some in Jan.

A few sites like Gazzetta saying hes available for loan from Milan.

Only scored 3 this season and i read 3 in the last 3 months of last season.

One season wonder?

Happily take him on loan and sell Niasse and Tosun...

We have to spend in Jan

I loved bob the pole... at the time he was our exotic foreigner and I thought he was amazing because he had a weird name. Been to long since we have had another polish player so I’m in

Silva's propensity for prolonged relegation form makes strengthening in January absolutely imperative. I really hope that our lack of ambition and/or aversion to hard work does not lead to us neglecting the transfer window. It could really lead to disaster come April and May.

Big trouble in what sense? To me the league is over already. Definitely worse teams than us for relegation and I can’t see us pushing into the European spots even when healthy.
Of losing games and not having bodies to even put out there. Seriously one injury to Davies or Morgan and what do we do? We have to play Sig deeper or a kid. One injury in central defence and we are struggling with no back up. I wouldn't be so sure we are out of the mire yet too by the way. We need a CM minimum probably a CB and a forward too in an ideal world.

Of losing games and not having bodies to even put out there. Seriously one injury to Davies or Morgan and what do we do? We have to play Sig deeper or a kid. I wouldn't be so sure we are out of the mire yet too by the way.
That phrase "too good to go down" is daft and the idea that the teams below us won't invest and improve...

I cant see us sitting on our hands...

CB: We will need one in the summer, could be we go for someone in Jan and let them adapt.

LB: Baines should be out in summer, we could move for a young LB in Jan to push Digne and Baines.

CM: Only Davies, Gomes (injured) and Gbamin (injured) should be currently considered going forward. Of the two injuries we dont know how long it will take for them to get match fit.

AM/WF: Iwobi, Richarlison and Bernard seem to be shoe ins with Gordon coming through to oust Walcott hopefully.

CF: Keans future seems to be up in the air with DCL as the only real alternative.

I would imagine that:

1 × CB
1 × LB
1 × CM
1 × CF or WF

Could be on the cards...my money would be on a CM.

Even having said all that, we are still short on numbers for a squad.

Pickford Lossl VIrginia
Kenny Sidibe (loan)
Digne
Mina Holgate
Davies Gbamin Gomes
Richarlison Iwobi Bernard Gordon
Kean DCL

Thats 17 players out of a 25 man squad.

Looking at the names as well, we lack a top class spine. If we were offering £50mil for Zaha and Doucoure then hopefully we go after some in Jan.

Hahaha, yeah we aint signing 4 players in a winter window just to help us finish 10th.

Have you seen Watford, Norwich, Southampton, Newcastle etc.
I don't think we will go down but to say we are safe isn't true either. We could go on a winless run in December. Also in terms of a squad with the injuries we have we need more in midfield and at the back especially. We are literally on the bare bones in central midfield aren't we? We have literally no options but Morgan and Davies and a permanently unfit Delph.

I don't think we will go down but to say we are safe isn't true either. We could go on a winless run in December. Also in terms of a squad with the injuries we have we need more in midfield and at the back especially. We are literally on the bare bones in central midfield aren't we? We have literally no options but Morgan and Davies and a permanently unfit Delph.
Bit harsh on Delph that, he's played 10 games for us already. It's a bit annoying that he's picked up a few niggles but it's not like he's James McCarthy, missing months at a time.

Why are people acting like our season’s over and that we shouldn’t be looking to strengthen in January? We’re 3 points from 5th, we’re still in the league cup and still got the FA Cup to play for. We absolutely need to recruit a couple at least, especially with what injuries are doing to our squad.

Bit harsh on Delph that, he's played 10 games for us already. It's a bit annoying that he's picked up a few niggles but it's not like he's James McCarthy, missing months at a time.
I'm not being harsh on Delph he is a decent squad player, I am just pointing out the lack of midfield options and he has hardly ever been fit and when he plays he is out again. Which adds to our problems and lack of options in midfield with the long term injuries to Gomes/Gbamin. Hence why I think we will add there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back