Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heres my comment posted in May

“Was speaking to a Aston Villa scout who like me was in Tenerife over Easter . We were on a short break and watching the City Spurs game in a hotel and got talking to him he said he was there to watch a game at CD Tenerife on Easter Sunday .Or at least he claimed to be a Villa scout.
I asked him about Tammy Abraham and then the conversation went wider and included matters Chelsea re loans and in particular Zouma.
His take on things based purely on snippets being shared in the football community were that Chelsea have plans running in tandem
The first is that half a dozen or so loan players will be recalled if the ban remains,In that number were the winger thay paid big bucks for in January , the two players I mention ,the two young full backs ,a midfielder and posssibly the central defender currently on loan at Derby. He made the point that previously Chelsea had a reputation for always trying to accommodate a player who wanted to leave but all players and their agents have been told that for the immediate future that policy is suspended unless it fits with previous assurances or it suits all parties.
He said they have a plan in place re keepers and had been planning for the possibility of a ban in that they awarded their ex 3rd choice keeper a contract and then loaned him out for the whole period of the contract thus enabling them to bring him back to the club even though he would be out of contract but the crucial point is they hold his registration.
The other plan is the ban is suspended or indeed kicked out.
If that’s the case they will bring back three or four from loan irrespective they will be selling a number of players currently out on loan to generate funds and also a couple of bit part players in their current squad.In that instance they will also loan some youngsters out who they feel are able to progress to PL level and who in the first scenario would be recalled to their club and here’s the point they would accept an offer for Zouma if it was in line with the market and he wanted to transfer out but that desire from the Zouma camp isn’t what he is hearing nor come to that is it what Abraham or his reps are suggesting.
They Villa are desperate to bring in loan players irrespective of which league they are in and have their eyes on the lad currently on loan at Derby, a central defender who he suggests is as good a defender he has seen for many a year and under Terry would develop at a pace but as I pointed out early he probably will be recalled if the ban remains.
Not really helpful I know but it’s the in line with the market comment. He suggested it’s close to £40 million ( hence why I poured scorn on a sum mentioned by another poster earlier in this thread)
Could be a load of bunken I know but was an interesting conversation

Based on the fact that they did indeed recall Zouma and Abraham. They did recall Reece James from Wigan, Tomori and Mount from Derby and Pulisic (half a dozen players recalled from loan)

In respect of Zouma my comment was that he stated he would be sold if an offer was made in line with market value and here’s the point and he, Zouma, wanted out which wasn’t thought to be the case .

As for the chap being in Tenerife well quite a lot of scouting is done in Europe and I can only assume he is based in Tenerife.
The whole world knew Chelsea were going to recall a load of players from loan mate, it didn't really take a lot of inside knowledge.

I doubt Villa have a scout exclusively based in Tenerife mate, and even if they did it wouldn't explain why he originally told you he was over to watch them on Easter Sunday rather than just saying he lived there would it?

I suppose the fact that you're very obviously a Chelsea fan who for some reason pretends to be an Everton fan to post on here might have marked you down as some sort of kindred spirit that he thought would enjoy a good lie?

Assuming we aren't in freefall, wouldn't this be a good time to blood some youngsters, bring through some of those on the edge of the first team and see how they perform?

If we are going to finish mid table, I'd rather use it productively and have players given the freedom to perform and learn. Then it's another summer where we can shift dead wood, strengthen after diligent scouting and hopefully either have young players who can add to the first team or have been showcased enough to attract a higher sell on fee..
I'm behind the idea but it only works if you have talented youngsters in a bundle like Chelsea have, We can't just throw any average joe on for the sake of it.

The whole world knew Chelsea were going to recall a load of players from loan mate, it didn't really take a lot of inside knowledge.

I doubt Villa have a scout exclusively based in Tenerife mate, and even if they did it wouldn't explain why he originally told you he was over to watch them on Easter Sunday rather than just saying he lived there would it?

I suppose the fact that you're very obviously a Chelsea fan who for some reason pretends to be an Everton fan to post on here might have marked you down as some sort of kindred spirit that he thought would enjoy a good lie?

Did the whole world know in May? At that point in time Sari was still their manager and there was every chance that the ban would be appealed against. It was the fact that the numbers and names were so accurate and that it was far from a given that for the first time Chelsea would be using mainly home grown players as opposed to utilising far more experienced.
As for what he was or wasn’t doing in Tenerife he said he was going to a game I had no reason to doubt him nor do I have any idea how Villas or indeed any clubs scouting network is structured .
Very Obviously a Chelsea fan you say dearie dearie me.

I'm behind the idea but it only works if you have talented youngsters in a bundle like Chelsea have, We can't just throw any average joe on for the sake of it.
I agree and I'm not suggesting we would but those on the cusp of the first team really need the opportunity to impress at senior level. The players training with the first team, give them a go in senior games and see how they do. Assuming the games aren't meaningful (cup games, relegation, European qualification) then I see no drawback to it. If they don't make it then they've had the opportunity to impress and their value will increase (hopefully) and if they do then we have our experienced back up.

Did the whole world know in May? At that point in time Sari was still their manager and there was every chance that the ban would be appealed against. It was the fact that the numbers and names were so accurate and that it was far from a given that for the first time Chelsea would be using mainly home grown players as opposed to utilising far more experienced.
As for what he was or wasn’t doing in Tenerife he said he was going to a game I had no reason to doubt him nor do I have any idea how Villas or indeed any clubs scouting network is structured .
Very Obviously a Chelsea fan you say dearie dearie me.
Well I had a quick look at your posting history just to find the original post you were talking about, and of your last 100 or so posts, I'd say 50 are about Chelsea defender Kurt Zouma, half a dozen are about ex-Chelsea defender Nathan Ake, a dozen are about Chelsea midfielder Ross Barkley, 2 start with the line 'I don't want to defend Chelsea but...', some are about random Chelsea related things like their academy success, Liverpool fans mocking Chelsea, and the difference between Abramovich and Moshiri, and a handful are about Jordan Pickford moving... to Chelsea.

So yeah, very obviously a Chelsea fan.

Heres my comment posted in May

“Was speaking to a Aston Villa scout who like me was in Tenerife over Easter . We were on a short break and watching the City Spurs game in a hotel and got talking to him he said he was there to watch a game at CD Tenerife on Easter Sunday .Or at least he claimed to be a Villa scout.
I asked him about Tammy Abraham and then the conversation went wider and included matters Chelsea re loans and in particular Zouma.
His take on things based purely on snippets being shared in the football community were that Chelsea have plans running in tandem
The first is that half a dozen or so loan players will be recalled if the ban remains,In that number were the winger thay paid big bucks for in January , the two players I mention ,the two young full backs ,a midfielder and posssibly the central defender currently on loan at Derby. He made the point that previously Chelsea had a reputation for always trying to accommodate a player who wanted to leave but all players and their agents have been told that for the immediate future that policy is suspended unless it fits with previous assurances or it suits all parties.
He said they have a plan in place re keepers and had been planning for the possibility of a ban in that they awarded their ex 3rd choice keeper a contract and then loaned him out for the whole period of the contract thus enabling them to bring him back to the club even though he would be out of contract but the crucial point is they hold his registration.
The other plan is the ban is suspended or indeed kicked out.
If that’s the case they will bring back three or four from loan irrespective they will be selling a number of players currently out on loan to generate funds and also a couple of bit part players in their current squad.In that instance they will also loan some youngsters out who they feel are able to progress to PL level and who in the first scenario would be recalled to their club and here’s the point they would accept an offer for Zouma if it was in line with the market and he wanted to transfer out but that desire from the Zouma camp isn’t what he is hearing nor come to that is it what Abraham or his reps are suggesting.
They Villa are desperate to bring in loan players irrespective of which league they are in and have their eyes on the lad currently on loan at Derby, a central defender who he suggests is as good a defender he has seen for many a year and under Terry would develop at a pace but as I pointed out early he probably will be recalled if the ban remains.
Not really helpful I know but it’s the in line with the market comment. He suggested it’s close to £40 million ( hence why I poured scorn on a sum mentioned by another poster earlier in this thread)
Could be a load of bunken I know but was an interesting conversation

Based on the fact that they did indeed recall Zouma and Abraham. They did recall Reece James from Wigan, Tomori and Mount from Derby and Pulisic (half a dozen players recalled from loan)

In respect of Zouma my comment was that he stated he would be sold if an offer was made in line with market value and here’s the point and he, Zouma, wanted out which wasn’t thought to be the case .

Based on what we do know I would say his thoughts were pretty much on the money

As for the chap being in Tenerife well quite a lot of scouting is done in Europe and not all PL scouts are based in England and I can only assume he is based in Tenerife

....worth mentioning that I think the Chelsea chief scout is still ex-Everton scout, Mick Doherty. Mick famously brought Seamus Coleman to us after watching his own son, Sean, play for Sligo. We might have a decent communication route with Chelsea.

....it’s all good and we’ll saying bringing one of our Academy CBs in, but we have nobody anywhere near the physicality and quality of Tomori. Gibson might have a chance, he played pre-season but i wouldn’t put him in the same ball park as Tomori and he’s only played age restricted football at a competitive level.

its a massive step-up from the Academy, only the very special ones have what it takes to make that leap.

I'd much prefer it than be a finishing/development school for a team we should be actually rivaling.

Well I had a quick look at your posting history just to find the original post you were talking about, and of your last 100 or so posts, I'd say 50 are about Chelsea defender Kurt Zouma, half a dozen are about ex-Chelsea defender Nathan Ake, a dozen are about Chelsea midfielder Ross Barkley, 2 start with the line 'I don't want to defend Chelsea but...', some are about random Chelsea related things like their academy success, Liverpool fans mocking Chelsea, and the difference between Abramovich and Moshiri, and a handful are about Jordan Pickford moving... to Chelsea.

So yeah, very obviously a Chelsea fan.

Whats it gotta do with Chelsea lad? What the beep are you going on about? You deluded cockney beep, who the beep is talking about Chelsea?

I'd much prefer it than be a finishing/development school for a team we should be actually rivaling.

....we won’t be anywhere near rivalling them if we just play Academy players who are simply not good enough. It’s really not as simple as just playing youngsters, they have to be very special. I was with somebody from the club on Saturday and he gave me a stat that 0.08 (I think) of Academy youngsters play a first team game.

Tomori was outstanding last season and it could be argued he’d have actually been a better signing than Zouma. Brands has been open about a strategy of getting fringe players off the ‘Top 4’. I suppose we have to bridge the gap to them before we can claim we compete with them.

....we won’t be anywhere near rivalling them if we just play Academy players who are simply not good enough. It’s really not as simple as just playing youngsters, they have to be very special. I was with somebody from the club on Saturday and he gave me a stat that 0.08 (I think) of Academy youngsters play a first team game.

Tomori was outstanding last season and it could be argued he’d have actually been a better signing than Zouma. Brands has been open about a strategy of getting fringe players off the ‘Top 4’. I suppose we have to bridge the gap to them before we can claim we compete with them.

We wouldn't get near them either by loaning their players either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back