Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
....at last, it’s Friday 31st January. My understanding is, the window shuts at 11pm today ( although clubs can submit a ‘deal sheet’ between 9pm-11pm that leaves them until midnight to submit required paperwork). Here’s the final Toffee transfer round-up;

- Reports from Spain have rubbished claims that Barcelona have submitted a bid for Everton’s Brazilian international, Richarlison. ‘Sport’ report the Catalans have drawn up a list to find a replacement for the injured Louis Suarez but it is ‘economically unfeasible’ to make a big money signing until the summer.

- Gianluca Di Marzio says Everton have failed to convince Verona to sell left back Destiny Udogie. Instead the 17 year old has signed a new contract.

- The Liverpool Echo confirm a loan move to Tranmere for Everton’s U23 skipper, Morgan Feeney. The 20 year old centre-back is in the final year of his contract.

- Inside Football suggest Southampton have no intention of selling their captain, Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg to Everton, but the Mail and Sky Sports reckon Spurs are set to swoop for the 24 year old midfielder.

- According to the Liverpool Echo, Everton defender Lewis Gibson is set to seal a deadline day loan move to Fleetwood Town. It is understood another loan deal for the 19 year old will be arranged in the Summer as part of the pathway mapped out in discussions for his new contract.

- Calciomercato confirm Everton target, 28 year old Uruguayan midfielder, Matias Vecino, has been taken off the transfer list at Inter Milan.

- The Star report Everton and Spurs have been put on alert because Emre Can’s move from Juventus to Borussia Dortmund has stalled. Football London, however, say the transfer is agreed and the midfielder is close to moving to Germany.

- According to Football Insider, Glasgow Rangers are assessing an injury to Jermaine Defoe before deciding whether to enquire about Everton‘s 29 year old striker, Oumar Niasse.
Your the only one who can hand on heart say they performed as expected during the transfer window Eggs. Looking forward to the first update in Summer and the glorious line, "Niasse and Martina released."

so, no one will come, maybe it's better than buying someone just for the sake of it...
It really is. If the player who is available is not what we want then don't go for them. A loan for the midfield might have been appreciated though. Early night for me and looking forward to seeing if anyone did come or go in the last hour or so of the window.

The thing that didn't occur to me about Richarlison to Barcelona, having seen the "economically unfeasible" thing above, is that they are skint. They had to take out a loan to sign Griezmann

Looks like we will need minimum another two or three years to even compete for top six, that despite the quality of everybody apart from the top two being as bad as it's ever been in over 30 years in this division.
No, not at all.

we could still finish THIS season in a European place.

I was just pointing out that in 2018 Brands took over a woeful slow aging squad lacking quality.

to make things worse a lot of the older players were/are on long highly paid contracts. A lot of these players we can’t even get rid of for free because no one else will pay them half of what they’re on here.

as a result we are having to loan a lot of these players out, with the new club paying a percentage of their wages. Some won’t even leave on loan (e.g. Niasse) because they have such an easy life at Everton. With other players who are longer good enough we havejust had to find a role for in the team/squad (e.g. Walcott Keane sigurdsson schneiderlin).

Add FFP into the mix and things get even more difficult for Brands. Yes we have a billionaire owner who is willing to spend, but we can’t enjoy this as much as Chelsea or City could back in the day. We have to play by the rules.

Given The above issues I think Brands has done a good job at Everton so far. Is he perfect? No. His failure to secure a centre back in the summer could well have cost Silva his job, though I would argue there were many other factors.

I think we Have to look to the positives in our Current situation. the fact that 5 of the 7 players you mention above were signed by Brands, and another is a youth player who has improved with game time as a result of Brands transfer policy, shows that he is taking us in the right direction.

Trust in his approach and I think we will see long term benefits.

I can live with a few of the youngster out (either on loan or to see out the end of the contract) and the removal of niasse - For this window, anyway.

If we could find a way of shipping Martina too I’d almost say the window is a success, given that it seems our midfield looks like it’s returning from the treatment table.

Oh and to echo the sentiment - thanks for your diligent work @Eggs ... bet you can’t wait for summer 2020 already!! Lol

The thing that didn't occur to me about Richarlison to Barcelona, having seen the "economically unfeasible" thing above, is that they are skint. They had to take out a loan to sign Griezmann

It occurred to me that they won’t be signing the Pidgeon now but they will be back for him in the summer. Ties in with Everton giving him a new deal... which enables them to maximise the sale price.

Who’s this Udoggi fella

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back