January Transfer Window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we are down and probably OK having sold Gordon and probably kean in the summer as well as a couple of others that should keep us afloat in the championship...but looking at some of our competitors, Forest, Bournemouth and Southampton have spent a lot of money...at least 2 of those will accompany us to the championship...they better have a plan b
Everyone bar one or two on a low wage will be sold or let go if we go down. There is no way we can carry this wage bill in the Championship.

So we are down and probably OK having sold Gordon and probably kean in the summer as well as a couple of others that should keep us afloat in the championship...but looking at some of our competitors, Forest, Bournemouth and Southampton have spent a lot of money...at least 2 of those will accompany us to the championship...they better have a plan b
So we’ll probably only be down £140m then rather than the previously estimated 180/200m so you thinking we’ll be good ? No point in buying players then, now you mention it what a result .

I had low expectations but even my very worst case scenarios for the window weren’t this bad. If we stay up then dyche has done a genuinely miraculous job, because at this moment I wouldn’t be surprised to see this side fail to pick up another point. I really can’t get my head round it.
I'm very surprised we let 2 attacking players go in Gordon and Rondon and didn't bring any others in

All the fans can do now is be positive though - there's no other sensible option

On the positive side, there are a lot of good players in this squad - better than some are seeing at the moment with a glass half empty outlook. DC-L, Simms and Maupay will need to do a job up front now. We've been linked with a number of Championship strikers this window and Simms may well be at least as good as these others

Dyche needs to create a siege mentality and we need to fight our way out of this

It is.

That's a banker now.

Anyone talking up a Dyche led fight back with a weaker squad than when his predecessor was in charge are delusional.

1954/55 to 2022/23. It was long run - but it's ended today.

15 points, no signings and we managed to weaken the squad.

We had 18 points last season when Benitez left and had Richarlison and Gordon.

We create nothing and score nothing.

It’s over.

Feeling the same here...but for me thelwell is also to blame...the entire board is complicit, and they should all go one by one. We will quickly find out if we have decent people on that board, because if we have, we should quickly see some resignations.
For me the thing with Thelwell is more complex. For one I simply don’t believe that Steve Walsh, Marcel Brands and now Kevin Thelwell are all dreadful at their jobs and want to operate like we do, Brands was even on the board and he was delighted to be gone.

Also listening to a lot today, Bobble had a very good Twitter space and it he was basically confirming what we all know already that basically Thelwell is doing the best he can but his hands are constantly tied behind his back because it all has to go through Kenwright and Moshiri, effectively making him nothing more than a glorified scout.

Also bits today on how McNeil was far from first choice and the same with Maupay but anything Thelwell suggested kept getting shot down, with ultimately them wanting players with PL experience over those that Thelwell found scouting, we can see this with Guirassey and Dieng linked all summer but then ending with Maupay.

I look at it this way, if I was in Kevin Thelwell’s position and didn’t have any affection for the club, I couldn’t give a toss if the owner and chairman want to meddle and ruin this club from the inside out, I’m sure he’s getting paid a decent wage and he IS doing his job to the best of his ability but his hands are tied. No point quitting unless something else comes up.

I think Brands and Thelwell showed in their time that obviously they weren’t perfect at all but they clearly had some good ideas and did well when they were actually allowed to. Walsh was a disaster but again that was in the prime of pissing money up the wall so really how much can we actually attribute to him.

It’s such a simple problem at Everton that encapsulates the whole thing, I’ve based this all off of effectively what an anonymous bobble hat said on Twitter because the club itself lies to us and is so far from transparent on how things actually work. That bobble hat is literally the only reliable source of information that we’ve got as a fanbase.

Oh no doubt. The sanctions have absolutely killed us. It's the most 'Everton that' tale ever imagined.

Yep. We finally get our biollionnaire and he's on the wrong side of a bloody war.

He wasn't duped. He went with the investor who would keep him in place. He is complicit in this and deserves to be hounded out with the rest of them.

Not saying he's innocent at all. Thick/gullible and self centred.

FFP is the reason they're giving out lengthy contracts. Spread the cost over 8 years accounts.

It's literally because of FFP that they are doing this. It's a massive risk in the long term though that may well bite them on the arse 3 or 4 years down the line if their 'investments' don't work out. That's why it bit us on the arse - our investments were shockingly bad and meant we had to take severe steps to balance the books a few years down the line.
Couldn’t agree more. It’s a massive gamble and I wouldn’t fancy Potters job trying to deal with that amount of huge egos!

Irony is, there is nothing fair about FFP. The shape of the league is still very much based before FFP introduction. So those clubs who got the early investors, Chelsea, City, United etc spent like crazy, attracted a global revenue stream and positioned themselves to always be able to spend far larger amounts than the lower income teams,
Disrupt the squad? Heaven help us if somebody did that, we might end up doing worse than bottom of the league.
Disrupt the squad? Heaven help us if somebody did that, we might end up doing worse than bottom of the league.
You don't add sub par players for £10mill if you scout and plan correctly. Keep saying it but Leeds bought Gnonto for £3milllion. Iwobi cost more than Brighton's starting 11. You plan and know what you're doing, you hit more than you miss.

We on the other hand were willing to pay £6mill bonus and loan fees as well as a possible £30mill transfer fee to a current championship player.

So for the price of better planning and scouting is a lot less than the £100mill the club will lose in relegation.

As for the £45mill leading to no signings...we clearly weren't going to spend that money/a fraction of it. Agents and club's don't see that...they see we've got money to spend so prices go up. Been said it's this that has caused deals to fall through tonight.
I believe very few of the transfer rumours, most of them are nonsense. Media looking for viewers and agents leveraging and marketing their clients.

I live down here and I can tell you that playing for Brighton is a very different experience to playing for Everton. There is time for players to develop with little pressure and the fans are generally relaxed and have pretty low expectations. The owner is a very bright guy and they have a stable leadership team. I will say that Brighton have had some excellent results with player sales and the business model is exceptional but they accept that they buy, develop and sell. No Everton fan would embrace that approach, well not until now anyways.

The damage we see today is the net result of a business that has made poor decisions in recruitment for years. Paying crazy money to recruit the fringe players from the best teams and players from the weak / relegated teams. Trying to propel a team from 8-10th spot to top 4 overnight, rather than buying players to progress in a phased approach. Top 8, top 6 and so on.

It would be nice if occasionally we uncovered some rough diamonds for low money, the £20-30m bracket is a horrible one that seems to yield nothing but failure and takes a massive chunk out the P&L and we have spent far too much time buying from the bracket of death.

Spend big and buy in the best or spend low and develop talent. Pretty much the same in any business really.

Status
Not open for further replies.