2021/22 Jean-Philippe Gbamin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nah on both points, we’ve had far far far worse than all 3, they don’t even touch a top 15
We've had worse players, but signings? Gbamin cost us £25m and has started two PL games in three years, getting hooked at half time in one of them. I'm interested to see what sort of deal you think is 'far far worse' than that.

We've had worse players, but signings? Gbamin cost us £25m and has started two PL games in three years, getting hooked at half time in one of them. I'm interested to see what sort of deal you think is 'far far worse' than that.
Per Kroldrup, one PL start in 5 months, flogged to Fiorentina

Per Kroldrup, one PL start in 5 months, flogged to Fiorentina
Yeah that's one in the same ball park but it's only one and definitely not far far worse. Kroldrup was sold for £3.5m I think so we took something like a 30% hit and only paid him 5 months wages. Gbamin's been picking up a wage for 3 years and I don't fancy our chances of selling him for £17m.

Yeah that's one in the same ball park but it's only one and definitely not far far worse. Kroldrup was sold for £3.5m I think so we took something like a 30% hit and only paid him 5 months wages. Gbamin's been picking up a wage for 3 years and I don't fancy our chances of selling him for £17m.
Absolutely is worse imo, that one game he looked like he’d never played football before.

Gbamin looked like he had something about him in the game before his main injury, and could still play when he did get a chance, add the fact he’s gone a year without an injury and getting regular game time when he went to CSKA on loan. We absolutely killed this guy by horrifically mismanaging his recovery yet he gets the strips tore off him, not right imo

Absolutely is worse imo, that one game he looked like he’d never played football before.

Gbamin looked like he had something about him in the game before his main injury, and could still play when he did get a chance, add the fact he’s gone a year without an injury and getting regular game time when he went to CSKA on loan. We absolutely killed this guy by horrifically mismanaging his recovery yet he gets the strips tore off him, not right imo
Nah Kroldrup is just one of those where myths spout up around him. For whatever reason it obviously didn't work out here but he was a good player, he spent virtually his entire career playing regularly in Serie A and got a load of international caps. He wasn't even that bad individually in that Villa game, it's just one of those stories that takes on a life of its own.

We'll never know with Gbamin, again you're using a bit of selective memory because I think if you go back to his thread after his debut there will be a lot of people saying he looked awful (I was there, he did). I'm sure that wasn't an accurate reflection of his ability, but it's rewriting history to suggest he made a strong start to his career here.

I'm not saying it's his fault - it very rarely is the fault of the player in these things - but he very clearly is right up there with the worst signings we've ever made. It's just not even disputable really. As I say, Kroldrup would be up there too, but for me there's no comparison when you look at what each of them have cost. There's plenty of others who deserve a shout but if a £25m player who only completes 90 minutes once and looks increasingly likely to leave on a free transfer isn't near the top of your list I'm not sure you're looking at it very objectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.