Jelavic - half season hero?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still playing well, and most of our creativity is ending up with Fellaini. No worries about our boss slotter, he'll slot against Sunderland anyway.

Also to last season he was pretty unknown so teams didn't mark him to tightly but now that everyone's aware of what he has to offer he's paid much closer attention.

Also to last season he was pretty unknown so teams didn't mark him to tightly but now that everyone's aware of what he has to offer he's paid much closer attention.

He is often marked by two players. I think he'll come good.

Hasn't scored for 3 games, hardly a crisis is it.

He'll be fine, we'll be seeing this again on Saturday

13168539.jpg

Always worth reading Mark O'Brien's stuff anyway but thought he was pretty much spot-on about Jelavic's form.

http://thisisnotfootball.co.uk/2012/11/05/fulham-2-everton-2/

The whole match review is worth a read but, specifically on Jelavic:

"Jelavic hasn’t scored for a number of games now, but it’s probably a bit overly simplistic to say that he is out of form. Even away from home a lot of teams are willing to concede a certain amount of ground to the Blues, such is their fear of their attacking strength, and gamble on packing the box and defending the stream of crosses into the box. Jelavic thrives on the early ball in, where his movement can give him the advantage over the retreating defenders, so once they are all back behind the ball and set to attack it he ends up feeding on the proverbial scraps. He’s still working his plums off in a system that asks a lot of him, and essentially doing nothing different to when he was slotting with every other touch, so as long as he doesn’t start to lose confidence he will be just fine."

We should be grateful we've got a striker who could be described even before the end of the game on Saturday as going through a dry patch. He'd only gone two games without scoring!

His movement is still second to none, one of the best of any striker in the league, as long as that doesn't stop he'll keep getting in positions to score. People forget we still play 4-5-1 where's he left to do an awful lot of the donkey work, at Fulham he barely got a sniff. It's not as if he's missing sitters everyweek

It's his all-round play that is import: he is such an intelligent player who brings others into play, takes up truly phenomenal attacking positions, makes well-timed, well-judged clever runs, always works his arse off, always wants the ball, and rarely misses chances. The very fact that we're calling his current period a bad patch speaks volumes of his quality.

He will be smashing them in against Sunderland. BOSS SLOTTER

One aspect is the form of players around him. Pienaar hasn't got anywhere near the heights of last season yet and that was Jelavic's main supply line last year. Fellaini is taking more chances himself rather than putting them on a plate for Niki. And Mirallas isn't afraid to shoot, whereas Coleman, Cahill or Osman might have looked for the pass to the striker.

He's still only a goal behind Felli though and level with Crouch, Lambert, Mata, Tevez and Torres on 4. Berbatov, Bale, Cazorla, Lampard, Gervinho, Zamora and Lukaku have all scored less than him.

Interestingly Osman, Baines and Anichebe are level with Bent, Rooney, Podolski, Yaya, Cahill, Dempsey, Walcott and Aguero on 2 goals.

He's only had a handful of real chances to be fair.

Hes a player that is either in the right area at the right time, or rolled off a defender and slotting home.

He hasnt really had any of those types of chances from what ive seen so far.

Hes not going to smash a 20 yarder or curl a shot into the top bin from the edge of the area either.

He might not be slotting as much as we'd like him to be at the moment, but his overall centre forward play has been much better this season in my opinion. He's working the channels and holding the ball up a lot better and becoming more of a complete forward as opposed to someone who can just finish with his first touch. If we weren't creating chances, I'd be nervous, but we're creating plenty of chances. I'm confident he'll get at least 2 goals in his next three games.

At times Mirallas decision making has been poor, and this is were Jelavic would have been the better option.

Few chances like this against Wigan, same at Fulham and QPR.

This will come, themore they play together.

There have been plenty of times where Jelavic has been in space and he hasn't been played for whatever reason, particularly because for all his brilliance, Mirallas is badly selfish.

Jely isn't the sort of striker who's worthless if he's not scoring though. He's always a nuisance, tracks back well, and puts good pressure on defenders. I'm not worried

I don't agree with Mirallas being 'badly selfish'. He has actually assisted many of the recent goals...

And to be fair, the guy scored a **** ton of goals last year in the Greek league, so I am going to allow him to have a fair few shots, was very unlucky not to hit the inside side netting with his shot against Fulham after his sexy little sharp turn. I think once a couple fly in for Mirallas he will be slotting.

As for Jelavic, 4 in 9 is still a decent enough tally, and he contributes more than just goals. He will score many more especially if we continue with Pienaar and Mirallas on the flanks backed up by Baines and Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back