John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed

He's played very well at times

I think he should certainly play more this season than he did last season

Not massively more, just slightly more

He did well last year for one so young and I think Martinez will understand how much he should play him. He seems to have a good eye for that with younger players

If he does get more time than it should be as a CB not a make shift RB.

Shaking my head here at the 'just throw him in the deep end and let him get on with it' approach to Stones.

I suspect if Martinez had his way and there was a league division to put the 'reserves' in for game experience, and we had enough money to bring in an established quality centre back, Stones would be playing in that league this season.

I'm glad Martinez had the foresight on this occasion to do 'a Moyes' this summer by bringing in a player like Besic. He's a utility player and can help us out CB wise when the time comes. We need Stones long term. It's vital though that he learns and develops in a measured way. Calling him a CB at the moment - let alone our best CB - is completely bizarre. His defensive grasp of that position is lacking, to say the least.

A lot of sense in this post.

Stones is a cracking player, and will only get better, but we need to manage expectations for him. As it stands he is prone to mistakes, and should be the sub/cup CB at most realistically.

A lot of sense in this post.

Stones is a cracking player, and will only get better, but we need to manage expectations for him. As it stands he is prone to mistakes, and should be the sub/cup CB at most realistically.

Of course he should. And if anyone had got carried away with stones then pre-season and Saturday should quickly remind you how young and raw he still is.

That doesn't mean sit on the bench all year but cover/rotation/learn is still the words of the day with stones.

Agreed

He's played very well at times

I think he should certainly play more this season than he did last season

Not massively more, just slightly more

He did well last year for one so young and I think Martinez will understand how much he should play him. He seems to have a good eye for that with younger players
He will as hopefully we will have an extra 10 games or so to play and he is part of the squad a lot earlier this season and not just a guy sat on the bench who may get 5 minutes here or there.

RM was clever with Barkley last season, I expect him to be the same with Stones this.

what about Antolin? I don't think he is good enough overall and I get the feeling he will be the main defender in European games

I think this is Distin's last season at the top. As strike forces get faster he will get slower, Stones is good but is he ready to be permanent. Jagielka is prone to mistakes sometimes too
I hope my premonition is wrong but I can see us conceding on average 2 goals a game

That statement alone makes me suspicious about you mate, aye we will concede over 76 goals this season - either a typo their, or your 12, or your a bad WUM of the rs variety

I guess we can get a better look at what our back up to Coleman is.

Hoping he plays well tonight.
So do I mate - it just blows my mind how anyone could think Jones is a better option at centre half

philjones.webp

Great thinking by hodgson. Let's give a young lad his first international (one with real potential) but play him out of position. Beggars belief it really does. The southern press will hammer the lad and destroy his confidence if he doesn't play well in a position that he is uncomfortable in and hasn't excelled in for his club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back