2022/23 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it hasn't been, because the derby is hugely skewing those numbers (as I've explained).

Tell me one brilliant - or better than expected I should say - save Pickford made this season before the derby? Other than the 1v1 against Gelhardt v Leeds, I can't think of one.

That's not to say that Pickford has been bad, I think he's been good (albeit he was bad for the Forest goal and if you were been picky, the Leeds goal) but this is where stats have to be taken into context so early in the season and used in conjunction with the old 'eye test'.

Pickford in the run-in last season was making amazing save after amazing save. Derby aside this season, he hasn't done that. Now, the defence has been poor when it comes to conceding chances, but the reason those chances haven't gone in hasn't been all down to Pickford, which is what you're suggesting.

Brentford, for example, hit the woodwork three times with shots Pickford got nowhere near to.
It isn't slewing it nearly as much as you think. PSxG rates shots off the woodwork as 0, he won't have been impacted by it.

The defending has not been good enough. It won't be good enough tbf because we've bought the most mid tier of mid tier CBs. Our hope was Pickford staying good and the midfield playing better. We've got one chance left!

It isn't slewing it nearly as much as you think. PSxG rates shots off the woodwork as 0, he won't have been impacted by it.

The defending has not been good enough. It won't be good enough tbf because we've bought the most mid tier of mid tier CBs. Our hope was Pickford staying good and the midfield playing better. We've got one chance left!
I know the defending has not been good enough, we've been conceding too many shots at goal, but please answer my question - in what way has Pickford, before the derby, had to be out of what you'd expect as the ordinary for him to keep teams out?

We've also had a midfield two of Iwobi-Doucoure/Iwobi-Davies/Iwobi-Onana in 4/6 games. Now we've got a midfield three, which should offer more protection, especially with Gana in there - hopefully less shots.

And yes, of course that outstanding derby performance, this early in the season, is going to skew the stats. It can't not do. As I said, Opta's goals prevented (which is a very accurate model) figure jumping from 1.1 to 2.6 in one game is huge.

This is all to say, Pickford is gonna be a massive miss, hopefully not for long. But I also don't think it's outrageous to say we should be able to cope. Arsenal wasn't going to be easy with JP in, it'll be that bit harder now you'd imagine, and yes we do need to defend better, but having a better structure and better players in front of the defence will help with that.

I know the defending has not been good enough, we've been conceding too many shots at goal, but please answer my question - in what way has Pickford, before the derby, had to be out of what you'd expect as the ordinary for him to keep teams out?

We've also had a midfield two of Iwobi-Doucoure/Iwobi-Davies/Iwobi-Onana in 4/6 games. Now we've got a midfield three, which should offer more protection, especially with Gana in there - hopefully less shots.

And yes, of course that outstanding derby performance, this early in the season, is going to skew the stats. It can't not do. As I said, Opta's goals prevented (which is a very accurate model) figure jumping from 1.1 to 2.6 in one game is huge.

This is all to say, Pickford is gonna be a massive miss, hopefully not for long. But I also don't think it's outrageous to say we should be able to cope. Arsenal wasn't going to be easy with JP in, it'll be that bit harder now you'd imagine, and yes we do need to defend better, but having a better structure and better players in front of the defence will help with that.
If you're asking if he's going to regress the answer is yes

53D4DEB8-1F11-4134-9C8C-7AE37A281197.jpeg

Don't know where to post it but what's this rumour about Ben Foster coming in?
Not sure if it makes that much sence if its just for a few games.
He wouldnt be up to match speed to throw straight into there, and thats even if he is a better option than Begovic, which is debatible

Status
Not open for further replies.