2023/24 Jordan Pickford

Unlucky on the pens - another night and he saves more than one, but he had one of his “non-med” games tonight, erratic and Twitchy and the kicking off at Patterson was just stupid and uncalled for as Jordan would probably have smashed the ball out of play like he did all night.

Unlucky on the pens - another night and he saves more than one, but he had one of his “non-med” games tonight, erratic and Twitchy and the kicking off at Patterson was just stupid and uncalled for as Jordan would probably have smashed the ball out of play like he did all night.
Great keeper for us, deserved a good punching for that nonsense with Patterson, whether Patterson should have left the ball or not.

Great keeper for us, deserved a good punching for that nonsense with Patterson, whether Patterson should have left the ball or not.
He’s prob been my player of the year for us for the last few seasons, and he’s won us more points than he’s cost us, but he does have the odd iffy match now and again, and tonight was one of them.

I haven't watched the game back yet but being there he seemed to get a glove on a few pens without keeping them out.

Not sure what happened with the goal as I had a RV ticket but saw him going nuts after - seemed out of keeping with the togetherness we've seen in the squad lately.

Of course it matters.

Would you prefer he didn’t get near any?

It demonstrably increased his confidence, decreased the Fulham takers’ confidence, and on the third crack he got the save.

Which should’ve been enough.

Some brain dead criticism of him on show.

He’s not the reason we lost tonight.
Honesty the outcome is the same if it goes in whether he gets a hand on it or not. Close doesn’t matter in penalties. It’s binary. So no. It doesn’t matter.

It does matter.

Penalties are purely psychological. Anything that gives you an edge, like sewing doubt in a coming taker’s mind by diving the right way a couple of times in a row, is of use.
We’re going to agree to disagree. Maybe it matters next time around. Fact of the matter is he didn’t save them, we lost, it’s not his fault, and we move on.

“Nearly”

If a keeper is getting a hand to a pen he has to be stronger and keep it out.
I will never blame a penalty loss on a keeper.

Ever.

It's so hard to save penalties without the taker messing up. So many things have to go right to save a penalty

Leno was nowhere close to any pen except for Onana's, which he could have saved just standing there, and Gana's, who was our 8th man. Jordan guessed right so many times and so nearly saved more than one.

It is what it is

We’re going to agree to disagree. Maybe it matters next time around. Fact of the matter is he didn’t save them, we lost, it’s not his fault, and we move on.
Yes, fair enough.

My closing argument would be that he put us in a position where the fifth penalty taker should’ve won it.

Ultimately that’s all a keeper can do. Set it up for the easier job of their teammates slotting the winning pen.

Very small margins. He was close to keeping out two pennos, and if he'd parried just one of them around the post then Onana wouldn't have needed to take his penalty. By comparison Leno didn't get close to any of ours, aside from Onana's pass to him.