Kevin Mirallas: Everton can make Premier League top four

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't stand this sort of post. There was loads of this talk this time last year

let's be honest though mate, mostly from Moyes it was getting 40 points first and then saying a top 8 or 10 finish would be a success. True we were playing some good stuff early last season and gave away stupid last minute goals, but I never got the impression Moyes really believed we could do it. He is saying the same thing at Utd now, only this time its the CL. It sends a terrible message. I'd rather fail by being overly positve and really going for it believing that we are great, than failing and not really trying because the manager and players don't believe it can happen

Nothing wrong with aiming for the stars. If over the season the players give their all and believe they can win every game they go into and then fall short of the goal, I will still think we have had a successful season.

It got a bit tedious last season with the players constantly giving interviews and saying "we can get top 4". Just get on with it and see what happens.

Oh and another thing. It's giving this kind of belief to your players that is the difference between winning an FA Cup with Wigan and winning nothing in 11 years with Everton.
I'm not arguing with you on Martinez. I think he's a breathe of fresh air and he's had my support since arriving. But it's a fantasy to believe he can take essentially the same group of players as last season and break through the PL cartel in his first season in charge.

Get excited/positive by all means, but let's retain a bit of realism as well.

I'm not arguing with you on Martinez. I think he's a breathe of fresh air and he's had my support since arriving. But it's a fantasy to believe he can take essentially the same group of players and break through the PL cartel in his first season in charge.

And as i said, i'm sure you thought it was absurd that we'd finish 4th in 2004/05.

I don't think it's crazy to say we could finish 4th.

Oh and another thing. It's giving this kind of belief to your players that is the difference between winning an FA Cup with Wigan and winning nothing in 11 years with Everton.

Exactly.

I do have a good pop at some of the negativity on here but in fairness a good proportion of it is probably down to Moyes playing down expectations, Mars bar to a Pokemon battle and all that.

And as i said, i'm sure you thought it was absurd that we'd finish 4th in 2004/05.

I don't think it's crazy to say we could finish 4th.
The PL of 2004/05 was a different beast to this one. Then, if you had one elite club have an off season you stood a chance; now you have to have about three squads to falter.

I'm not arguing with you on Martinez. I think he's a breathe of fresh air and he's had my support since arriving. But it's a fantasy to believe he can take essentially the same group of players as last season and break through the PL cartel in his first season in charge.

It's not really the same set of players though is it? Lukaku, Barry, McCarthy, and a Barkley that actually plays is a fair bit different.

It's not really the same set of players though is it? Lukaku, Barry, McCarthy, and a Barkley that actually plays is a fair bit different.
But he'll be playing about 16 to 18 players from this squad this season. the newcomers are a minority.

He needs a lot more time, Martinez. Unreal expectations are going to hinder progress. I've seen enough to know this feller has what it takes. But he needs his own players in and time to experiment...which inevitably means getting things wrong as well as right.

There's no short cuts in this league.

It's more or less the same set of players plus several exciting additions and a more positive and seemingly tactically astute manager.

And the simple truth is we should have finished much closer to a CL spot last season as off the top of my head negativity cost us a at least mine points...... at Reading, at Fulham and home and away to Norwich where winning positions in games we had dominated were squandered.

Sod all of that.

EFC have a very realistic chance of making the CL spots this year.

The manager bleieves it.

The players believe it.

The fans need to believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.