2023/24 Kevin Thelwell

We changed our model for one summer when we brought in Gray, Townsend and Rondon for cheaper than Danjumas loan. Now they weren't good enough but neither is Mcneil, Beto and Chermiti. Only difference is one trio cost 60 million less for about the same impact. The club then completely abandoned that approach once Lampard came in
That was the model of Rafael Benitez and nobody else. Like Dyche he wanted seasoned pros, who do what he said and not question him. The drop off in quality when those 3 arrived plunged us into this spiral

All because the fat kopite wanted the keys to the castle

Whilst understandably much of the discussion revolves around Thelwell's recruitmentnt of players, there is an equally important issue as stated previously. As a DOF, doing the job properly, he should be involved in developing tactics and style of play throughout the club. If he is then the current 'hoof' approval says much about his competence. If he is not involved in this, then surely he he is not delivering on major aspects of his job.

He could easily have sold Onana whilst his value was high and invested some of the money on a striker. If we sold Onana and didn't buy Chermiti/Beto we would have had some funds to buy a decent option upfront.

McNeil is useless. Was crap at Burnley and has been crap for us barring about 2 months cumulatively.
The problem is we have to go that low-standard to say that he has still been our best attacker this season and this explains the low-bar. The best of all worse. None of them reached their full level so far.

He should clear his desk just for being involved in making doucoure the highest paid player at the club. Im not a DOF. Im not involved in football. But i know for fact i'd have refused to pay him a penny more than he was on. Offering a player that sort of money who cant even control a ball. Everton making the same errors over and over again.
Not fit for purpose.

I have no idea how you achieve this ( perhaps relegation) but we need a complete clear out of players.

I'm genuinely struggling to think who we would want to keep apart from Branthwaite and he's the first one who will be off in the summer.

We need to start again with ( hope you aren't reading this Zat ) young players who are hungry and care.

Apart from the obvious financial oblivion I don't care if we are in the Championship as long as we get 11 players who want to play for the shirt.

It's not going to happen I know, well relegation might , but there is no future with this manager and group of players.

I have no idea how you achieve this ( perhaps relegation) but we need a complete clear out of players.

I'm genuinely struggling to think who we would want to keep apart from Branthwaite and he's the first one who will be off in the summer.

We need to start again with ( hope you aren't reading this Zat ) young players who are hungry and care.

Apart from the obvious financial oblivion I don't care if we are in the Championship as long as we get 11 players who want to play for the shirt.

It's not going to happen I know, well relegation might , but there is no future with this manager and group of players.
I posted in the summer transfer thread a few days ago that we should absolutely be entertaining any offers for all of the players currently on the books. No holds barred.

We need to generate cash and we need an influx of fresh blood because this squad is so stale at this point that it's absolutely ponging..

He should clear his desk just for being involved in making doucoure the highest paid player at the club. Im not a DOF. Im not involved in football. But i know for fact i'd have refused to pay him a penny more than he was on. Offering a player that sort of money who cant even control a ball. Everton making the same errors over and over again.
Not fit for purpose.

He’s going in the summer. Besides, if we were to be relegated his position would be untenable anyway and he would probably find himself in the same position the likes of DBB, Ingles etc were as being unable to attend games.