2018/19 Kurt Zouma

Status
Not open for further replies.
No he didn’t

Zouma kept a clean sheet and scored

Keane didn’t even play well he miscontrolled an easy pass again and then tried to make up for it by hacking his opponent down and getting booked for a reckless tackle

Keane is a terrible defender

His poor touch could have lead us to concede again but those incidents are only punished by the most ruthless strikers or best teams. Vardy is the former so punished us for Leicester, but Bournemouth didn't have anyone capable. Don't think they even got close to scoring with that chance did they?

His tackle at the end was as good as anything you can do as a defender though and prevented a goal so dismissing it is a bit unfair and biased in your negative view of him.

Long term I don't think he will be good enough, and I see Zouma as by far the superior defender. However Zouma is only on loan and Keane has improved a lot this season and is good enough for where we are at the moment.

Pointing out the 1 mistake he made in a whole 90 of him being good and ignoring the goal saving tackle.

Therefore making him woeful.

The Grand Old Team way.

Also, to keep it relevant to the thread, I don't think Zouma is that good. He's just athletic which digs him out of a lot of holes. He'll do for now.
By all means stick up for him but that was absolutely not the only mistake Keane made in the game. The 'mistake' we're talking about was really 2 mistakes, firstly the poor touch to give the ball away and then the absolutely dreadful decision to lunge in and take himself out of the game completely (and almost permanently, if he'd made proper contact with that he'd have been off).

With regards to both Zouma and Keane - and everyone else on the team I suppose - we didn't defend well on Saturday. We were resilient and gutsy, but we were all over the place at times, with players panicking and making poor decisions quite regularly, and their attackers often finding themselves free but the final pass/touch not being good enough to take advantage.

In fairness to Zouma I think the defence is currently set up to get the best out of Keane rather than Zouma, which maybe affects how we see them. Zouma is used to bale us out with his pace and physicality while Keane is allowed to just be the muck and nettles defender who heads it away and blocks things. I think Zouma could do that job too if he was asked to, but Keane couldn't do Zouma's job.

By all means stick up for him but that was absolutely not the only mistake Keane made in the game. The 'mistake' we're talking about was really 2 mistakes, firstly the poor touch to give the ball away and then the absolutely dreadful decision to lunge in and take himself out of the game completely (and almost permanently, if he'd made proper contact with that he'd have been off).

With regards to both Zouma and Keane - and everyone else on the team I suppose - we didn't defend well on Saturday. We were resilient and gutsy, but we were all over the place at times, with players panicking and making poor decisions quite regularly, and their attackers often finding themselves free but the final pass/touch not being good enough to take advantage.

In fairness to Zouma I think the defence is currently set up to get the best out of Keane rather than Zouma, which maybe affects how we see them. Zouma is used to bale us out with his pace and physicality while Keane is allowed to just be the muck and nettles defender who heads it away and blocks things. I think Zouma could do that job too if he was asked to, but Keane couldn't do Zouma's job.

Did you not see Zouma's mistakes?

Keane was comfortably better than Zouma against Bournemouth. Seriously, it wasn't even close.

It was also a dreadful pass from Zouma. It was just bad play all-round. Fortunate it wasn't punished.

You know my views on Keane. I like him but like you know he's not brilliant.

However, both of our other first-choice CBs play better when they're with him. They both need a less aggressive partner and Keane provides that.

Keane did make a brilliant tackle late on and should get just as much credit for that as he gets stick for his mistake. Only fair.

It's also a huge confidence thing. Zouma looked 10x the player after he'd scored his goal. Against Lincoln he was poor and in the first half v B'mouth made a fair few errors (one of them lunging in on King and being shoved off in the build up to when Brooks hit the post). After his goal, he was ace.

It was also a dreadful pass from Zouma. It was just bad play all-round. Fortunate it wasn't punished.

You know my views on Keane. I like him but like you know he's not brilliant.

However, both of our other first-choice CBs play better when they're with him. They both need a less aggressive partner and Keane provides that.

Keane did make a brilliant tackle late on and should get just as much credit for that as he gets stick for his mistake. Only fair.

It's also a huge confidence thing. Zouma looked 10x the player after he'd scored his goal. Against Lincoln he was poor and in the first half v B'mouth made a fair few errors (one of them lunging in on King and being shoved off in the build up to when Brooks hit the post). After his goal, he was ace.
Agreed. As I say, I wasn't suggesting Zouma had been good, far from it. The defence as a whole was poor, but fair play to them for toughing it out.

His poor touch could have lead us to concede again but those incidents are only punished by the most ruthless strikers or best teams. Vardy is the former so punished us for Leicester, but Bournemouth didn't have anyone capable. Don't think they even got close to scoring with that chance did they?

His tackle at the end was as good as anything you can do as a defender though and prevented a goal so dismissing it is a bit unfair and biased in your negative view of him.

Long term I don't think he will be good enough, and I see Zouma as by far the superior defender. However Zouma is only on loan and Keane has improved a lot this season and is good enough for where we are at the moment.
that tackle was made out of desperation because he lost his man and he had to make the tackle

he gets absolutely praised for it, but if it goes in he's the most hated man in the ground

he's a terrible defender

that tackle was made out of desperation because he lost his man and he had to make the tackle

he gets absolutely praised for it, but if it goes in he's the most hated man in the ground

he's a terrible defender

Which tackle are you referring to?

It can't be the one at the end where he blocked Gosling's shot because he didn't lose his man. Gosling ran across him and Keane tracked him perfectly and got the block in, preventing them scoring in all likelihood.

Which tackle are you referring to?

It can't be the one at the end where he blocked Gosling's shot because he didn't lose his man. Gosling ran across him and Keane tracked him perfectly and got the block in, preventing them scoring in all likelihood.

He's waffling

A lot of negativity on here about Kurt, but I think he’s done a very good job on the whole.

It’s tough being a CB in a team set up by an attack minded manager like Silva, because the team is always going to concede more goals than teams who are defence orientated.

It’s like when you saw how John Stones was slated in the Bobby Martinez days - when we shipped goals, people blame the CBs. But the problem is, they’re often too exposed because of the system they’re playing in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back