Last Film You Watched

McAvoy is every as good in this, as his portrayal of Bruce in Filth.

He must`ve spent months in the gym, as the way he`s bulked up for the role is amazing - he`s a full on monster !
Good stuff, mate!

I saw the original Danish film, and yes... It freaked me out!

Looking forward to seeing James in the remake. If it's 70% of what the original was, I'll be happy. ;)

Finally caught Alien: Romulus.

Hasn't been a great film in the franchise since '86. We all know this.

First one is genius. Beautiful visuals, subtle horror and characters you invested in with strong personalities. Cameron switching it up into an action movie for the second was also incredible. He realised the horror monster was out of the bag and decided to make it a more kinetic and war-movie aesthetic - which absolutely works. Third one marked a shocking downward spiral. It seems the franchise will never recover.

This effort features paper-thin characters with no development or sympathy, flat acting, loads of tired horror tropes "Where's the key? Open this door! If you don't make a sound they can't find you!" etc. Felt like one of the "Friday the 13th" slasher films from the '80's. Visuals are ok. Music is a re-tread of previous films. Effects are surprisingly bad in some places. The main android character was interesting though and I liked his performance. That tacked-on ending that dragged on for another 15 minutes though... it's on the level of "Alien Resurrection" bad. Like, really REALLY bad. That ropey ridiculous final monster......

2 out of 5 and that's being very generous.

Finally caught Alien: Romulus.

Hasn't been a great film in the franchise since '86. We all know this.

First one is genius. Beautiful visuals, subtle horror and characters you invested in with strong personalities. Cameron switching it up into an action movie for the second was also incredible. He realised the horror monster was out of the bag and decided to make it a more kinetic and war-movie aesthetic - which absolutely works. Third one marked a shocking downward spiral. It seems the franchise will never recover.

This effort features paper-thin characters with no development or sympathy, flat acting, loads of tired horror tropes "Where's the key? Open this door! If you don't make a sound they can't find you!" etc. Felt like one of the "Friday the 13th" slasher films from the '80's. Visuals are ok. Music is a re-tread of previous films. Effects are surprisingly bad in some places. The main android character was interesting though and I liked his performance. That tacked-on ending that dragged on for another 15 minutes though... it's on the level of "Alien Resurrection" bad. Like, really REALLY bad. That ropey ridiculous final monster......

2 out of 5 and that's being very generous.

I thought the biggest mistake they made, was the casting.

It was truly shocking. The only thing they got right was casting David Jonnson as the android Andy.

Replacing established adult actors, with largely unknown young adults backfired spectacularly ( imo )

Not one of them had any sort of presence and the majority of them were just there to make up the number and be killed off early doors. As a result you just didn`t care about any of them.

I thought the biggest mistake they made, was the casting.

It was truly shocking. The only thing they got right was casting David Jonnson as the android Andy.

Replacing established adult actors, with largely unknown young adults backfired spectacularly ( imo )

Not one of them had any sort of presence and the majority of them were just there to make up the number and be killed off early doors. As a result you just didn`t care about any of them.
Yeah the casting was garbage. They were all so... drab. Nothing to them at all. The annoying one who was generally acting a tit - was a sense of relief when he finally (deservedly) got gored by the creature. The cast in the '79 & '86 movies were great. Rounded, well written and performed and as a viewer, you felt it when they got taken out. Zero empathy in this one....... really says something when the most interesting and likeable character is a malfunctioning machine.

Yeah the casting was garbage. They were all so... drab. Nothing to them at all. The annoying one who was generally acting a tit - was a sense of relief when he finally (deservedly) got gored by the creature. The cast in the '79 & '86 movies were great. Rounded, well written and performed and as a viewer, you felt it when they got taken out. Zero empathy in this one....... really says something when the most interesting and likeable character is a malfunctioning machine.

If you took the cast and script out of it, I actually liked it as a film.

I can appreciate what your view points, but I thought the attention to detail of the set was really good, almost to a point, that they`d neglected the script and casting choices over it.

Only my opinion, but I think it`s a film that could be re done, with a different cast and better writing ( I know they won`t )

A mate of mine almost made the biggest blunder of his life.

His uncle was emigrating and moving overseas, so he left him a box of old DVD's to have.

Going through the box, he saw a DVD for one of the 'Twilight' movies. He just saw the title and didn't pay much attention to the rest of the cover.

He knows I have an eight-year-old niece, so he calls me up and asks: 'Does she want it?'

I said: 'Yeah, why not?' So the whole family was over on Sunday about 2 weeks ago and my mate comes over with the DVD.

Of course, my little niece was excited, and all she wanted to do was watch it then and there!

I open up the DVD tray, my mate pulls out the DVD and is about to put it in, when I catch a glimpse at the DVD cover and I yell: 'STOP!'

106000.webp

We were this close to scarring my little niece for life! 🤦‍♂️

His uncle was emigrating and moving overseas, so he left him a box of old DVD's to have.

Going through the box, he saw a DVD for one of the 'Twilight' movies. He just saw the title and didn't pay much attention to the rest of the cover.

He knows I have an eight-year-old niece, so he calls me up and asks: 'Does she want it?'

I said: 'Yeah, why not?' So the whole family was over on Sunday about 2 weeks ago and my mate comes over with the DVD.

Of course, my little niece was excited, and all she wanted to do was watch it then and there!

I open up the DVD tray, my mate pulls out the DVD and is about to put it in, when I catch a glimpse at the DVD cover and I yell: 'STOP!'

View attachment 274468

Jenna Haze, what a throwback.

View attachment 274468

Lucky escape!

(Was it any good, when you watched it alone later)

View attachment 274468

Has he still got the DVD? Asking for a mate.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back