Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2018/19 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last season we were a different team with and without him in the team. He's not a starting player any more but to suggest he's been terrible in recent seasons is just patently false. Other than Bournemouth away this season I can't remember him having a bad game recently.

This is being blown a bit out of proportion. We're going to ideally be working with 20 players next season, the majority being under 25/26 and 4 of them will be new to the club. Having an experienced full back as second choice for one more season isn't a massive negative.

The club have weighed up the situation and feel it makes sense. Jagielka is a different kettle of fish, hence the answer yesterday from Silva wasn't that he'd been offered one as well.
Who said he'd been terrible in recent seasons? Not me, so let's not just make stuff up eh? I assume you didn't go to the Wolves game, where he was utterly rancid? So apart from those 2, and the other one where he had to go off injured before the hour mark, he's been fine in all 5 of the games he's started. Great.

I'm not blowing it out of proportion at all, I've made 2 posts and both of them have said I get that it's not a massive deal. It's fine, and it's not massively unexpected, but it's not ideal. If he plays a lot next year then I think we'll struggle. I don't want us to struggle, so i'm not hugely enthused by it.

Last edited:
I wondered if Robinson would be a capable back up to Digne but they obviously think not.

I’m torn on this a bit, think I’d rather have used one of the younger players myself.

At least it’s pissed Dave off so not all bad.

35 and 37 years olds when we're supposed to be building for the future. This should be YOUR agenda too, not only mine and some other posters.
I can see the logic in keeping Baines for another year, but not Jags. He's too old and slow now.

I'm not blowing it out of proportion at all, I've made 2 posts and both of them have said I get that it's not a massive deal. It's fine, and it's not massively unexpected, but it's not ideal. If he plays a lot next year then I think we'll struggle. I don't want us to struggle, so i'm not hugely enthused by it.

I meant people in general are blowing it out of proportion. Not you specifically.

Who said he'd been terrible in recent seasons? Not me, so let's not just make stuff up eh?

See below.

now we're offering contract extensions to players who'll be 35 before the halfway point of the season and who really haven't looked too hot for 18 months now.

So maybe not terrible but you did imply that he'd not been good in the last 18 months. So let's not make stuff up, eh? Completely false. Other than the mistake against Bournemouth he hasn't played badly when played.

The Wolves game he was played injured and had to go off. Grasping at straws to point that out as evidence.

35 and 37 years olds when we're supposed to be building for the future. This should be YOUR agenda too, not only mine and some other posters.
Who are we gonna attract to be back up to one of the best left backs in the league when there is very little chance they could displace him? Genuine question.

Baines when he has played the odd match this season has still looked very capable, it makes sense keeping someone we know is reliable while we prioritise weaker positions and do our homework on left backs for another year... it also gives ours youngsters in that position more time to develop.

I agree that Jags should go.

I see your point but I feel you take a very black and white/overzealous approach, when in fact it is a bit more nuanced than that.

I meant people in general are blowing it out of proportion. Not you specifically.

See below.

So maybe not terrible but you did imply that he'd not been good in the last 18 months. So let's not make stuff up, eh?

The Wolves game he was played injured and had to go off. Grasping at straws to point that out as evidence.
Well it's not grasping at straws at all, is it? Because one of the things I mentioned being concerned about was his injury record. I was specifically making the point that Baines has struggled to keep himself fit over the past couple of years, and that I wouldn't be overly confident in relying on him if anything was to happen to Digne. If you think that us asking him to start 5 games and him being unable to complete 2 of them due to injury isn't relevant to that point, I'd have to think you're not being completely open minded.

I'm sure we can also agree that there is quite a big difference between 'not too hot' and 'terrible'. Last season I thought Baines looked like an average PL full back, well below his previous levels but still fine. This season I think he's looked like a below average PL full back. Not terrible, but genuinely struggling a bit. It's all about opinions, this is only mine and I might be way off. Again, i'm not fuming about it, but it's not what I hoped for. It is what it is though, fingers crossed it works out.

Or you bring through good young pros for each of those positions. Like other clubs try and do. Players eager to seize their opportunity. 1

Is this the Brands/Silva model? Handing contracts to two dinosaurs because "we have more crucial areas populated first"?

BTW, I;d like to know why CD and LB aren't important areas to get right. 2

Easier to assert than justify that one, I reckon.
1. Ah, all those good, young hungry players who are so hungry that they aren't bothered if they don't play a single minute next season, because they're playing for ONE role behind arguably the best player in our squad.

2. Of course they are. We got LB right. We have arguably the best left back in the league and (as of this contract extension) a better backup than the vast majority of teams.

If Baines is being kept on for another year then I think that may be good news for Antonee Robinson .
It may be they see him as a long term left back at the club but want him to get another years experience first.
I would not be surprised to see him loaned to a premiership team next season.
But if we weren't giving Baines a new contract would you not be saying 'good news for Robinson, they must rate him and want him as back up ahead of Baines'? In other words, is that not just what you hope to be the case rather than this actually being any sign of it? I'm not being funny here by the way, i'm being genuine, because i'd hoped Robinson would be seen as good enough to be back up next year and so see this as a negative sign for him.

Who are we gonna attract to be back up to one of the best left backs in the league when there is very little chance they could displace him? Genuine question.

Baines when he has played the odd match this season has still looked very capable, it makes sense keeping someone we know is reliable while we prioritise weaker positions and do our homework on left backs for another year... it also gives ours youngsters in that position more time to develop.

I agree that Jags should go.

I see your point but I feel you take a very black and white/overzealous approach, when in fact it is a bit more nuanced than that.

I have been saying this all allong.
They got 6 games each last season, no serious pro would want to be in that situation and no kids development should be held back in this way.
LB and PJ will have much reduced deals and would be willing to cover if and when needed. Jags would be 4th choice and so unlikely to get much game time.
If and when we have cover that is good enough and willing to sit on the bench for the whole season then fair enough, but we don't. What is the point on spending 20 mil we need to spend elsewhere on a position that has cover for one more season?!??!
We need goals not left backs.

But if we weren't giving Baines a new contract would you not be saying 'good news for Robinson, they must rate him and want him as back up ahead of Baines'? In other words, is that not just what you hope to be the case rather than this actually being any sign of it? I'm not being funny here by the way, i'm being genuine, because i'd hoped Robinson would be seen as good enough to be back up next year and so see this as a negative sign for him.
You could read it either way, but I think Robinson is still inexperienced and even missed a good portion of this season through injury. I feel it would be a risk to go with him as the only real cover for Digne at this stage.

It could be that Robinson will be in the squad next season and Baines also there as cover but possibly getting involved with coaching as he prepares to move away from playing. The problem with that however is that Robinson could go through another season playing only a handful of games.
I do believe that Robinson is one of the very few young players out on loan that has a chance of coming back into the squad.

He’s never been great defensively imo. I’ve said many times how we’ve always had the smallest pair of full backs in the Prem, but that defensive issue has been addressed somewhat now with the signings of taller cb’s. I would let him go, especially as injuries obviously become more frequent as you age, and he’s had his fair share of those. I’d rather see younger, hungrier, up and coming players on the bench.

@davek

This has made my day. I said a few weeks ago to you that these two would get new offers.
Rather these 2 on low wage and very limited game time as back up than wasting a season for a youth prospect who should be on loan if not playing regularly.

WIN WIN
Everton announce the club is a museum and have no ambition, but you get to "goad" me.

You win, eh?

Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back