Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guardian prompting us to lock baines down........

Everton are hopeful of ending the uncertainty over Leighton Baines's future, and with it David Moyes' interest in a reunion at Manchester United, by securing the England international on a new long-term contract.

Baines was the subject of several thwarted bids by United last summer and, though the Premier League champions have not made a renewed approach in the current transfer window, Moyes' admiration for the 29-year-old remains.

The left-back will have 12 months left on his existing Everton contract at the end of this season, when Patrice Evra is expected to leave Old Trafford as a free agent, and United will look to secure an established replacement. But, after protracted negotiations, Everton are believed to have made a breakthrough on a new contract for Baines in recent days and hope to secure the influential defender's services before he enters the final year of his current deal.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/14/everton-leighton-baines-contract-manchester-united

The Mirror in particular David McDonnell are awful for their rumours

Bloke i follow tweeted this article earlier, it bores me seeing our players linked away.

I'm not sure how to actually sure the best way to put this so i've just copied and pasted it.

https://twitter.com/Dally136

Marc Dallimore ‏@Dally136 1h
Maybe he caught caps lock? Or spelt "hope to" as "will"? @DiscoMirror please define "WIll" #EFC #MUFC pic.twitter.com/HHpl0X3qjO

Marc Dallimore ‏@Dally136 1h
I said it on the 16th November that last retweet was a poor/lazy article with no substance! #EFC #MUFC @DiscoMirror

David McDonnell ‏@DiscoMirror 16 Nov
Man Utd confident of landing Baines at third attempt in January http://tinyurl.com/l8vgwss #MUFC via @MirrorFootball
Retweeted by Marc Dallimore

That is just horrendous 'journalism'.
Goodison boss David Moyes will be desperate to keep all his top players given that there is unlikely to be any cash made available for *reinforcements.

But the chance to recoup the initial £5m they paid Wigan to recruit Baines *almost five years ago may be too tempting for the Toffees.

Baines, 27, has been outstanding this season and is putting pressure on Ashley Cole to be England’s first-choice left-back at Euro 2012.

Written by Steven Gerrard.

McNulty also tweeted about it earlier this morning, but removed the tweet. So I guess it looks like this is certain to happen. Probably won't be announced until Friday, possibly Monday. I hope it happens today, I've got a ****ty 4 hour meeting this afternoon and it'll be great to come out of that to the news of a new contract!

Gets legend status for me, all he needs now is a trophy. Cant remember the last time we were able to say we had 'THE WORLDS BEST' playing for us; maybe Southall.

McNulty also tweeted about it earlier this morning, but removed the tweet. So I guess it looks like this is certain to happen. Probably won't be announced until Friday, possibly Monday. I hope it happens today, I've got a ****ty 4 hour meeting this afternoon and it'll be great to come out of that to the news of a new contract!

Could be double good news, heard Ross will sign a new contract at the same time, (Friday).

If both Baines and Barkley sign the new deals in this coming few days....and if McGeady hits the ground runiing....and if the Barca lid returns in the very near future....combined with the energence of Oviedo baby, Stone and Alcazar as excellent players in their own right and not mere bench warmers then I think this is a timely boost and should add impetus for the latter half of the season.

I hope Baines signs for three years and Ross for six.

Would be disappointed if Ross is only tied to us for another three seasons. Get him on board until 2018/19 season and review accordingly until then.

I hope Baines signs for three years and Ross for six.

Would be disappointed if Ross is only tied to us for another three seasons. Get him on board until 2018/19 season and review accordingly until then.

4yrs for Baines and an additional 5yrs on top of the 2 he has left for Ross, apparently.

4yrs for Baines and an additional 5yrs on top of the 2 he has left for Ross, apparently.

This makes sense. Baines will be 30 in December. A new 4 year deal will ensure he stays with us until the end of his top flight career, and will go down in the history books (in my opinion anyway).

As for Ross, I doubt he'll sign what would be seen as a 7 year deal. I can see a new 5 year deal, with pay increases in those years depending on England caps, appearances, etc. I also think a £30 million buyout will be put in his contract, he'd be silly to agree anything larger at this point in his careeer (and I suspect his agent will be saying the same thing). However, if the league goes the way we want it to and we start consistently getting into Europe and perhaps get a could of trophies, they'll review it in 3 years anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.