Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solid season from Baines, first one in a couple of seasons where he's by and large been injury free.

Busy season next season so I'm sure he's aware there might be competition for his place.

think he had a really good season and is not done he defended well yesterday a few times he was left isolated and dealt with the threat

Laughable that the same people who want CL football and to kick on still want this feller anywhere near an Everton shirt.

Goes for Jagielka, Mirallas, Williams too...

Laughable that the same people who want CL football and to kick on still want this feller anywhere near an Everton shirt.

Goes for Jagielka, Mirallas, Williams too...

Dave not gonna get into your reasons for not wanting Baines here - which if we are being honest go beyond his ability at the old togger

The reality is that he is ageing and we need to look in the short to medium term at either replacing or more likely bringing in a capable understudy (young one preferably who can develop), in our current system and because of how deep we sit with our snail like centre backs, Baines attacking threat is largely wasted, not helped by the fact we have a rotating set of left sided players - none of whom provide any decent link up play or cover for him.

IF we bring in some quality at centre back - and i mean ones with pace, then Baines is still good enough to not need us spunking 15-20m on a replacement yet, but the team right now has a lot more pressing needs than replacing a fading but still good quality Baines

Right now the 3 massive weaknesses we have which impact the entire rest of the team are at cb - we literally have a collection of centre backs no better than teams in the bottom 6-7 in the league (and worse than some), we lack any creativity besides from Barkley - which frankly for the past 20 years has been a recurring problem, and we lack pace practically all around the park.

Williams for me btw, had huge hopes and loved the signing, but boy has he been one of the worst signings i can remember - given the expectation... Looks an utter yard dog

Dave not gonna get into your reasons for not wanting Baines here - which if we are being honest go beyond his ability at the old togger

The reality is that he is ageing and we need to look in the short to medium term at either replacing or more likely bringing in a capable understudy (young one preferably who can develop), in our current system and because of how deep we sit with our snail like centre backs, Baines attacking threat is largely wasted, not helped by the fact we have a rotating set of left sided players - none of whom provide any decent link up play or cover for him.

IF we bring in some quality at centre back - and i mean ones with pace, then Baines is still good enough to not need us spunking 15-20m on a replacement yet, but the team right now has a lot more pressing needs than replacing a fading but still good quality Baines

Right now the 3 massive weaknesses we have which impact the entire rest of the team are at cb - we literally have a collection of centre backs no better than teams in the bottom 6-7 in the league (and worse than some), we lack any creativity besides from Barkley - which frankly for the past 20 years has been a recurring problem, and we lack pace practically all around the park.

Williams for me btw, had huge hopes and loved the signing, but boy has he been one of the worst signings i can remember - given the expectation... Looks an utter yard dog
Agree completely on Williams. I thought it'd be an inspired signing, boy was that wide of the mark. Hopeless. Get rid.

Baines: he cant be given an understudy. He has to be replaced. He's poor. He cant defend. Look at yesterday: Davies gets the stick, but who was there where Baines should be for that first goal of Arsenal's? Baines standing staring at the situation. We cant build the back line around the needs of a LB on the wane.

no room for sentiment in football, baines is a boss lad, a blue and always been a quality player for us, but unfortunately he is nowere near the standard he was and if we want to break into the top 4/5 he needs to be replaced as the main left back, doesn't have the legs he used to bombing forward whipping boss crosses in, and he's never been the best defender anyway

I'm expecting Baines to be another who is left to go completely off a cliff before the club moves to replace him.

I very much doubt there'll be anything close to the squad overhaul that many are predicting.

Agree entirely apart from on Williams lad.

Williams is effected by our lack of pace as much as Baines is.

He needs a quick player around him and we'll see a better player.

He was ace for us in that run we had post Xmas, playing in 3-5-2 with Holgate and Mori either side.

Not saying he should be a starter for us next term, but the suggestion he hasn't done just fine this season is a bit far fetched.

no room for sentiment in football, baines is a boss lad, a blue and always been a quality player for us, but unfortunately he is nowere near the standard he was and if we want to break into the top 4/5 he needs to be replaced as the main left back, doesn't have the legs he used to bombing forward whipping boss crosses in, and he's never been the best defender anyway

He has had a very solid season.

We need a good LB to provide competition and a rotation option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back