Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree entirely apart from on Williams lad.

Williams is effected by our lack of pace as much as Baines is.

He needs a quick player around him and we'll see a better player.

He was ace for us in that run we had post Xmas, playing in 3-5-2 with Holgate and Mori either side.

Not saying he should be a starter for us next term, but the suggestion he hasn't done just fine this season is a bit far fetched.

Koeman as you've stated prior mate, is very much a 4-3-3 man, Williams looked great for Wales - playing in a back 3, the only time he's not looked poor for us, is playing in a back 3.

Won't agree that he has done fine for us either mate, if thats the level we accept as being fine then we have let our expectations on what constitutes the word slip a huge amount.

Koeman as you've stated prior mate, is very much a 4-3-3 man, Williams looked great for Wales - playing in a back 3, the only time he's not looked poor for us, is playing in a back 3.

Won't agree that he has done fine for us either mate, if thats the level we accept as being fine then we have let our expectations on what constitutes the word slip a huge amount.

He's come in and helped improve our defence.

The Utd game in particular he was bloody brilliant - until the last 30 seconds like.

Put him in a 2 with a quicker, ball-playing CB and he'd be very good imo. Only 32, plenty of time left.

Fantastic servant and ambassador for the club

Sadly you can't beat the body clock
Age is catching him rapidly engines slowed and that's impacted his game over last 2 seasons

Fantastic servant and ambassador for the club

Sadly you can't beat the body clock
Age is catching him rapidly engines slowed and that's impacted his game over last 2 seasons

Said it many times before but Baines is the only player we've had since the 80s who has a legitimate shout of being considered one of our best ever players

If you were putting together an all time Everton XI, it would be a straight fight between Baines and Ray Wilson for the left back role

He has been an absolutely tremendous player for us and whilst I think people are being over the top about how he declined last season (tactically he was one of the best at pressing in the whole team, for example), we absolutely need to get a quality young left back in this summer because we can't rely on Baines to play 50 odd games or however many we end up playing. At his age, being expected to gallop up and down the flank and provide all the width just isn't realistic. Very few players can do that role effectively into their mid 30s

Wonderful servant, hope he's kept on here, even as a squad player. For me he'd get to start next season, however I do think we need to be readily looking for a replacement. He's not the most pressing matter.

Said it many times before but Baines is the only player we've had since the 80s who has a legitimate shout of being considered one of our best ever players

If you were putting together an all time Everton XI, it would be a straight fight between Baines and Ray Wilson for the left back role

He has been an absolutely tremendous player for us and whilst I think people are being over the top about how he declined last season (tactically he was one of the best at pressing in the whole team, for example), we absolutely need to get a quality young left back in this summer because we can't rely on Baines to play 50 odd games or however many we end up playing. At his age, being expected to gallop up and down the flank and provide all the width just isn't realistic. Very few players can do that role effectively into their mid 30s

Great post that pal

I agree. Easily our best defender last season for me.

He's getting on yes, and we should look to replace soon, @sageyefc 's Chilwell suggestion is right. It should be him. But his stock has risen a lot recently so would be very pricey.

Baines though. Fantastic player.

The repeated injuries took their toll. Hopefully he has an injury free preseason, but a back up does need bringing in

I agree. Easily our best defender last season for me.

He's getting on yes, and we should look to replace soon, @sageyefc 's Chilwell suggestion is right. It should be him. But his stock has risen a lot recently so would be very pricey.

Baines though. Fantastic player.

That isn't a difficult achievement (and besides, Coleman was anyway).

It's pure nostalgia arguing for anyone to be arguing he should start games for us. Spurs have two better than us in Rose and Davies and at a pinch Trippier can play there to better effect than Baines does these days.

Baines cant get up the pitch like he once could, cant deliver a decent cross, cant get funnel back quickly enough behind the ball, cant get close enough to a winger to stop crosses coming in, and he cant get blocks in or challenge in the box.

We will never be challengers for top spots by continually making a case for a player with now very dubious first team credentials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back