Leon Osman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough. Always thought there was some sort of backstory to it.

Nope he was a red growing up, that’s about it. He was a scapegoat in the Moyes era, despite him being a constant for important goals and assists. He wasn’t the greatest midfielders but he scored some cracking goals for us under Moyes and played a big part in some of that ‘success’ (in Kenwright terms) of being in Europe and finishing in the top 6 for a good run of seasons. Remember his goals against Fulham away & Tottenham away (think we went 3 up within first half) to get us wins there were we hadn’t won for a long time.

Had the odd decent performance and good goal, but on the whole he was crap.

Proper lightweight who’d get pushed off the ball all the time, I don’t get the hate for him but loads of people don’t like him so maybe he’s just an unlikeable fella.
Just not true.
Hugely underated player, very skilful and had a great engine.
He was just a little lightweight which prevented him from being a top top player.
A very good player for years for us at a time when we had some decent teams.

Just not true.
He was just a little lightweight which prevented him from being a top top player.

I’ll never agree with that assessment, although I do acknowledge that his decent performances were good but they were so few and far between.

He also outstayed his welcome and was a detriment to the squad towards the end.

Had the odd decent performance and good goal, but on the whole he was crap.

Proper lightweight who’d get pushed off the ball all the time, I don’t get the hate for him but loads of people don’t like him so maybe he’s just an unlikeable fella.
You do not play over 400 games for a club if you put in the "odd decent performance". Our best premier league seasons came with him in the side - our 4th placed finish under Moyes was his breakthrough season and he played in every single game in the 5th placed finish under Bobby.

Vastly under-rated and deserves far more respect from the fan base.

I think he became a bit of a whipping boy because he got played out of position a lot due to our strength in the center. He would be stuck on right midfield quite a bit because we had the likes of Arteta, Fellaini, Cahill, Graveson, Carsley around during his time.

He was a good squad player but never a hero.

I think he became a bit of a whipping boy because he got played out of position a lot due to our strength in the center. He would be stuck on right midfield quite a bit because we had the likes of Arteta, Fellaini, Cahill, Graveson, Carsley around during his time.

He was a good squad player but never a hero.
Yeah for a long time we had Baines and Pienaar on the left and Osman and hibbert/ Neville on the right. He was always on to a loser then. We were a decent right winger from a top team for a couple of years.

Just not true.
A little lightweight lol - and Siggy's a little on the slow side, Pickford just a tiny bit erratic.

The pure physical game is largely a thing of the past but there are limits. Leon was a wet noodle of a player - and it's not even because he is small. Some small technical players are fierce on the ball, but Osman was just soft in that department (although he wasn't a soft player overall - he didn't lack heart and wouldn't hide. Just didn't have any physicality whatsoever).

Aways liked Leon,was frustrating though watching him underhit his finish when well placed,he had a good positional sense in the box and though not quick he did have quick feet and good close control.His headed goal in the home win against City a stand out for me...
What wasn't was watching him and Hibbert on our right being targeted by Chelsea 2009 cup final...

Aways liked Leon,was frustrating though watching him underhit his finish when well placed,he had a good positional sense in the box and though not quick he did have quick feet and good close control.His headed goal in the home win against City a stand out for me...
What wasn't was watching him and Hibbert on our right being targeted by Chelsea 2009 cup final...

Pretty much this.
I'll always have time for Leon, very talented player and loves the club but he was always lacking that bit extra.

Reminds me of Sam Dingle off emerdale...

Sam_Dingle.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.