Match Thread Liverpool v Everton - Sunday 10th December

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be tempted to start with this...at least for a half. It's technically a 3-2-3-2 but in reality it's 5 at the back with Martina and Kenny having some flexibility to go forward without worrying about getting completely exposed down the flank. We can comfortably get 6 men behind the ball at any given time, and with two up top in DCL and Niasse, we've got legs we can play long balls too whenever we need to (which will be a lot). Lennon and Siggy provide work rate and in Lennon's case, pace, in Siggy's case craft if DCL and Niasse can knock down balls to them coming in behind.

I'd save Rooney as an impact sub as I don't think this game suits him for 90 minutes.

View attachment 42708

Definitely what I'd go for mate.

I thought James McCarthy was supposed to get some time on the pitch last night, but I don't think he even travelled.
Is he injured again or going to have some involvement on Sunday ?

We are going to WIN WHOS WITH ME

rMG3_f-maxage-0.gif

I don't agree with the assessment that being realistic about our chances is what contributes to our record. Our record, and years of poor performance are what have contributed to many fans realistic expectations for the match.

For me what Everton need to do tomorrow is focus not on the end result, but the processes involved. If I could sum up my disapointment for the fixture over the years it's not solely been the defeat, but that the processes by which we arrived at it have either been badly carried out or we have had completely the wrong approach.

Offensively they remain a frightening proposition, you could well argue on a par to Manchester City. Yet at City we restricted them to 1 goal, and even against 11 men we looked reasonably comfortable at 1-0. A win can come. However if they click, we can also play well and lose the game with them scoring 2 or 3 goals.

When I was in teaching you would have a "lesson objective" and then "success criteria' which would be how you intended to get there. The best teachers would focus heavily on that second point. We need to defend deep, get back into shape quickly, have clarity in possession (even if it means being direct quickly) and utilise set pieces. If we do all of these things well we have a chance in the chance in the game.

They are coming for an annihilation. They know they have missed 2 or 3 good chances in recent years, when our squad has been heavily depleted to score really big wins. We need to play on that and try to keep it goalless for as long as possible. I would urge every free kick we win, we look to put into their box, and take our time to set it up in doing so. Don't allow them to set up waves of attacks.

The there thing we mustn't do is concede goals in waves. We have conceded 2/3/4 goals in a short space of time too often. Their defence may give us a goal off a set piece. They are very adept at doing this. If we go 1 behind, the focus need to double t prevent them gaining momentum.

It's a very difficult game, as a trip to Arsenal, or Tottenham would be (which is about their level). There is a route to victory though. Defend deep, don't give possession away easily, get into shape to avoid counters will give us a chance of stopping them. Pickford is due a game where he makes 10 or 12 saves and keeps a side out. At the other end we have to hope for an individual mistake from an ordinary back 4 and/or a set piece goal either directly from Sigurdsson or off a corner/free kick. All are very possible.

I hope Sam has used the week to give us a clear plan on how to defend.

I hope Sam has used the week to give us a clear plan on how to defend.

I am pretty confident him and his staff would have the lads drilled and set up right. As to the actual game, on an optimistic wave, I can see Niasse causing havoc, (mainly unintended granted), to their defence, but our full backs/flanks scare me a bit.

Losing to this lot breaks my heart, and I fear the worst again on Sunday.

But PLEASE let's not suffer another humiliation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back