Man City v Everton. 5th Oct @ 12.45.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our tempo is shocking in games, we stand around like statues waiting for the ball to be passed around. The better sides are moving the ball quicker from back to front.

Baines and Coleman have had their impact of producing high temp football took away from them becuase of how they are being told to play.

Our tempo is shocking in games, we stand around like statues waiting for the ball to be passed around. The better sides are moving the ball quicker from back to front.

Baines and Coleman have had their impact of producing high temp football took away from them becuase of how they are being told to play.

I completely disagree with this post.

I have no idea how you have come to this conclusion??

Off you go fella. lets have the detail.

I dont think you have watched any of our games this season if you think thats the case. We were probably the better team first half at city, we tore newcastle apart for 45 minutes with pace and movement, and we turned it on against west ham.

I think you are trying to be controversial

I dont think you have watched any of our games this season if you think thats the case. We were probably the better team first half at city, we tore newcastle apart for 45 minutes with pace and movement, and we turned it on against west ham.

Simply, This.

Controversial?....Very poor from you indeed.

The first 3 games of the season we stood like statues as we went from me to you to me to you and then the penny dropped that we better do somthing before it was too late.

We upped the tempo at west ham after the manager gave them the bollox at half time, did it again in the second half of the newcastle game and almost threw the game away and again in the city game after we went 1 up.

The temp has deffo slowed down this season from last and we are spending far too long moving it back to front over a 90min game.

Controversial?....Very poor from you indeed.

The first 3 games of the season we stood like statues as we went from me to you to me to you and then the penny dropped that we better do somthing before it was too late.

We upped the tempo at west ham after the manager gave them the bollox at half time, did it again in the second half of the newcastle game and almost threw the game away and again in the city game after we went 1 up.

The temp has deffo slowed down this season from last and we are spending far too long moving it back to front over a 90min game.

I completely disagree with this post.

Thankfully I've been able to watch all the games this season online, and I think our tempo has been an area that needs improving, and has been noticeable since pre-season. Sometimes we move it around too slowly and take too much time on the ball, without enough movement off the ball which gives the opposition defense more time to set up their position.

We aren't always slow, but I remember noticing this issue in more than a few games this year. It's also something that might take time to achieve though, as it requires the players to be very familiar with the system (know it instinctively so they can react immediately) and know what teammates are likely to do.

I don't think D410's complaint is that unreasonable

I don't think there's been a problem with the speed of our passing. We've mixed it up quite well, sometimes allowing possession to develop and people to get into position, other times breaking quickly if it looks like a counter attack might be on. We haven't been slow in getting it forward at all when there's been space to play into.

What I would agree with though is that our pressing off the ball has been a bit cautious. We're generally allowing teams to get into our half far too easily and on many occasions giving them a free shot at goal like Cabaye for Newcastle. Whether this is deliberate counter attack play or simply lack of aggression I'm not sure. I feel like we need to learn how to press as a team all over again, since the Moyes style of pressing was to swarm second balls and continually win the ball back from opposition clearances. In short, get the ball in their end and don't let them out. So far under Martinez we've been trying to isolate certain players in possession and forcing them to try to distribute the ball, which has worked well at times, but personally I'd rather see us be more aggressive and press high up as a team. It's the main disappointment I've had with Roberto so far, I hate seeing us back off players before they've even remotely shown they're good enough to deal with pressure, especially at Goodison.

The point about the full backs is valid imo. Two fantastic free kicks aside I've been disappointed with Baines as an attacking threat since Martinez. I'm hopeful this is due to Pienaar's absence more than it is tactics.

The point about the full backs is valid imo. Two fantastic free kicks aside I've been disappointed with Baines as an attacking threat since Martinez. I'm hopeful this is due to Pienaar's absence more than it is tactics.

If it is tactical it is only the tactic of not only having one tactic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back