Match Thread Man Utd v Everton. Saturday Oct 2nd.12.30 pm

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm closer to 57 than 56 now, but could name all of the FA Cup winners from 1960 to 1995, but have very little recollection of any since then!! Seems its an ageing thing - short term memory starts to decline in 40s/50s.

It is why I am always recording quiz programmes to try and keep this mush of a brain working
Yeah me too fella, around the same age, 54 this year!!!

when people say "you go in the kitchen, but cant remember why" well yep thats me now! lol

good plan by the way!

UTFT

Yeah me too fella, around the same age, 54 this year!!!

when people say "you go in the kitchen, but cant remember why" well yep thats me now! lol

good plan by the way!

UTFT

You will probably remember when coverage of the Cup Final used to start at 11 in the morning - I would be glued to the TV no matter who was playing. Earliest I remember clearly 71 - Charlie George and the Gooners although I can remember watching the 1970 Brazil team as a 5 year old.

I was a bit of a geek too, always poring over the Rothmans Handbook as well as other records of the history of the great game. I have nothing like the same memory of more recent years.

Aye, mate. We're still in the cup aren't we?
Obviously not,but going out on pens against being beaten in normal time are two different things. Unless it suits an agenda. In the good old days of real football,an away cup draw to a lower league side then back to Goodison was a decent result. I never wanted Benítez but given the squad he's been left with I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I'm closer to 57 than 56 now, but could name all of the FA Cup winners from 1960 to 1995, but have very little recollection of any since then!! Seems its an ageing thing - short term memory starts to decline in 40s/50s.

It is why I am always recording quiz programmes to try and keep this mush of a brain working
In the 60s collected the chewing gum cards,knew every player in the first division,the answer to every question on the back,every swap I had and every card I needed. Now I make a shopping list and arrive at the supermarket without it.

You will probably remember when coverage of the Cup Final used to start at 11 in the morning - I would be glued to the TV no matter who was playing. Earliest I remember clearly 71 - Charlie George and the Gooners although I can remember watching the 1970 Brazil team as a 5 year old.

I was a bit of a geek too, always poring over the Rothmans Handbook as well as other records of the history of the great game. I have nothing like the same memory of more recent years.
They were the days mate! a full day of Build up to the Greatest Club Comp, IMO!

It seems its just another competition now, not given the Kudos or respect it had then. Champions league has all the plaudits these days.

I remember recording all the build up to 84 final, with Andy Gray, Peter Reid and Freddie Starr being camped outside the Toffees Hotel! Funny as!

Even at the match they had the build up, we had some sort of Model Plane battle take place at Wembley in 84 If memory serves, planes with Watford and Everton Colours on battling in the sky in Wembley! Made me think, "is this safe" at the time lol!

still was a spectacle to be involved in, FA cup day was massive as a kid, all week before at school you would be playing the finals in the school yard or field!

*looks back in memory vaults with a teary eyed fondness..........

They were the days mate! a full day of Build up to the Greatest Club Comp, IMO!

It seems its just another competition now, not given the Kudos or respect it had then. Champions league has all the plaudits these days.

I remember recording all the build up to 84 final, with Andy Gray, Peter Reid and Freddie Starr being camped outside the Toffees Hotel! Funny as!

Even at the match they had the build up, we had some sort of Model Plane battle take place at Wembley in 84 If memory serves, planes with Watford and Everton Colours on battling in the sky in Wembley! Made me think, "is this safe" at the time lol!

still was a spectacle to be involved in, FA cup day was massive as a kid, all week before at school you would be playing the finals in the school yard or field!

*looks back in memory vaults with a teary eyed fondness..........
Remember these days so well. I used to watch the whole build up no matter who was playing. Lived in Hertfordshire at the time and when the blues came down they stayed at Sopwell House hotel in St Albans. Not far from where we lived. Dad used to drive me down to see the players etc.

If they get promoted will that make a difference?
Probably not at this point when they only have 4 wins from 10 against other championship teams and when the only other promoted team we have played so far is Norwich, it doesn't seem a high bar in that league.

In the 60s collected the chewing gum cards,knew every player in the first division,the answer to every question on the back,every swap I had and every card I needed. Now I make a shopping list and arrive at the supermarket without it.
I'm the same, and I'm only 43!

You whippersnappers out there will read "43" and think "you old b-word", but I tell ya, it felt like I was only 20 yesterday. Before you know it, you too will be making sure your last cup of tea is pre 10pm to stop you waking up in the middle of the night for a wee!

Edit: Also, I'm rarely up after 10 lol

You whippersnappers out there will read "43" and think "you old b-word", but I tell ya, it felt like I was only 20 yesterday. Before you know it, you too will be making sure your last cup of tea is pre 10pm to stop you waking up in the middle of the night for a wee!

Wait until you're 68 lol

I'm 30 and rarely up past 10. Dont think I've seen match of the day, especially everton on match of the day, on a Saturday for about 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.