Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who's going to want Siggy, Iwobi, Delph, Walcott, Davies etc? Expect at least 3 of those still to be at the club at the start of the season.
To be honest I'd have no problem with them being at the club, I just don't want them to be regular starters. Iwobi, Walcott, Sigurdsson and Delph giving depth to the squad is fine really, the problem is that we bought them all to play.

Hello buddy where does Fabian Delph and Iwobi fit into this description please

In what way mate?

I believe Iwobi was brought in as a player with good ball retention stats who (at arsenal) proved very effective at getting on the ball and moving it forward...something we've not had since Barkley. He is also young and should you get the best out of him/he performs then you have a sell-on fee. Has it worked out? Nope. Bad signing, yes. Is he a wide-man? Nope.

Delph was brought in to add some leadership but has been a disastrous signing.

The squad is disjointed because we've only had two seasons (three windows) to transform an aging squad suitable for 451 into young, dynamic squad capable of playing both 433 and 451.

If you write down the players in the squad at the start of this season, without injuries, it isn't as disjointed (minus a fourth CB). I don't think we acknowledge the extent of our injury crisis this season, especially in the middle of the park. We lost three first-team (Ok, Delph's debatable) midfielders for the majority of the season. Look at the impact injuries have had on City and consider the overall quality of their squad.

I honestly don't think the defensive 442 we played up until the final two games is Carlo's preferred long term formation, instead it was what he had to play with the players available to him.

I think the DOF model works and I think we need to be more patient. It is also difficult for us to judge without really understanding the brief given to Brands, not just in terms of targets but also from Moshiri. A big target of Brands has been to reduce to wage bill and age of the squad. I think to the main, he has done that but we still have a hangover of players that we are struggling to shift.

I know we all want the players in earlier but it was also clear that last summer was sell to buy. We spent very little net.
They're not capable of playing either of those formations though? And this squad is anything but dynamic. It's not even particularly young to be honest, it's just full of players in the same age bracket. It's not really a squad that's growing together and likely to get better, it just doesn't have many old timers in it to drag the average age up.

Does anyone genuinely have faith in him to sign the right players in the right positions and at sensible prices?

I want to believe he's up to the job but I'm struggling to get enthused by the DOF model.

Not at all.

They're not capable of playing either of those formations though? And this squad is anything but dynamic. It's not even particularly young to be honest, it's just full of players in the same age bracket. It's not really a squad that's growing together and likely to get better, it just doesn't have many old timers in it to drag the average age up.

Not sure how get that Iwobi and Delph cant play in either a 433 or 451. What formations would you say they can play in?

Okay, sorry the team is built around 19-21 year olds but we are signing players who should be 'entering' the prime of their careers.

His aquisition of Branthwaite looking promising so far, we all agree?

our best two players are Richarlison and Digne. Who bought them again?

We can’t just play the game of any good signing was Silva’s and any bad one was Brand’s.

From my view:

Hits:
Digne Richarlison Gomes (loan) Zouma (loan).

Still to be judged:

Kean (looks promising) Branthwaite (looks promising) Gbamin (injured) Gomes (perm - injured)

Flops: Delph (although injured a lot) Iwobi Bernard

Meh: Sidibe (loan- did ok as cover for RB) Lossl (hasn’t played for us). Mina (can look our best CB but has been injured too much)

Given that Bernard was free and will probably turn us an FFP profit there’s not that many out and out bad buys. Certainly nowhere near the Koeman/Allardyce days.

Im positive that we’ll have a good window this summer and if injuries abate we’ll have a better team and squad next year than this one. We’ve not been on an upward trajectory post Moyes leaving but I’d wager the squad (although still poor) is better now than it was in 17/18. Even if the progress is slow that’s still a better place to be than the squad quality going down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back