Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with most apart from the ridiculous last line.
We have no leaders in the team end of.
We are a king way from 6th mate a mountain away from 4th.
In fact I would suggest 10 players from 4th.
About 5/6 classier players from 6th.
Look how many points we have been off those spots in recent seasons.
I’m going by how we finished last season and ignoring the dire crap we’ve had under Martinez (last season), Koeman and Allardyce. Sign Zouma or someone of his ilk, bring in another centre half as back up, sign Doucoure or someone similar so we can change to 433 plus a goal scoring winger and Kean, don’t think we’d have been to far off tbh. Then again I do have the tendency to be overwhelmingly optimistic at start of the transfer window :D

Johnson era was bad when he realised we were a hopeless cause.
Howard was rotten drink every day by the Dion episode.
Yes Royale should have stayed.
But we have a chance here to win a cup or push the big teams with massive spending a big wage bill. It’s just frustrating that still the most basic errors are being made.

But in 50 years, with all of the above you’ve witnessed this is the most irresponsible thing you’ve ever seen

Amazaballs

Johnson era was bad when he realised we were a hopeless cause.
Howard was rotten drink every day by the Dion episode.
Yes Royale should have stayed.
But we have a chance here to win a cup or push the big teams with massive spending a big wage bill. It’s just frustrating that still the most basic errors are being made.

Season hasn't started yet, no one knows how it's going to pan out

I don't actually rate Gueye all that highly, but considering how much Silva seemed to want to keep him, and looking at some of the prices that other Premier League clubs are asking for their first team players, I would have expected something in the range of £40-50m. The McCarthy fee was also laughably low (unless the report of £3m was false), even for a crock.

I too think Evertonians overrated Gana Gueye. Could possibly got a bit more for him but I guess in this situation we wanted to do the right thing by the player who was a model of professionalism since January.

The McCarthy fee? Everywhere, bar one report, had it at around the £8m mark. I'd take that any day for him and all the loans we can't get rid of.

The constant outgoing loans are basically him just kicking the can down the road for another year, but I suppose that it doesn't really matter too much as long as the club is still able to play FFP correctly.

Like I said, I think he's doing a good job overall.

Like I said, they are basically a bunch of dross nobody has shown any interest in paying for permanently. What do you expect him to do apart from getting them off the wage bill?

I stick with my belief above. He messed up with the CB situation. If he had solved that this was a great 9/10 window on paper. As it stands, the defensive imbalance could make it look much lower.

Let's see where we stand in January and who is available, as we should have money left over to spend.

The more I think about it, the more I'm genuinely baffled that so many blues saw CB as a 'top priority' for us all because Kurt Zouma went back to Chelsea...

Especially baffled that those same people are now of the opinion that the window was a 'failure' and that Brands should be hung, drawn & quartered all because of one single position on the pitch where we aren't even especially struggling... despite all the other good work done in the window.

Feel like I've entered the Twilight Zone or something :Blink:
We have two centre halves and a few players who could possibly fill in there at a push. How was it not a priority position?

I too think Evertonians overrated Gana Gueye. Could possibly got a bit more for him but I guess in this situation we wanted to do the right thing by the player who was a model of professionalism since January.

The McCarthy fee? Everywhere, bar one report, had it at around the £8m mark. I'd take that any day for him and all the loans we can't get rid of.

Like I said, they are basically a bunch of dross nobody has shown any interest in paying for permanently. What do you expect him to do apart from getting them off the wage bill?

I stick with my belief above. He messed up with the CB situation. If he had solved that this was a great 9/10 window on paper. As it stands, the defensive imbalance could make it look much lower.

Let's see where we stand in January and who is available, as we should have money left over to spend.
I was going off that BBC journalist's report with the McCarthy fee, but happy to hold my hands up if it's wrong. Transfer Market also have it as 3.3m euros, but I've no idea how reliable they are: https://www.transfermarkt.com/james-mccarthy/profil/spieler/45333

As for the bit in bold, I don't know how anyone gets fees for their unwanted players, but they seem to manage it. I realise that it's hardly a stellar argument that I'm making there, but I can't help but ask some questions when people are fawning over his powers of alchemy.

I was going off that BBC journalist's report with the McCarthy fee, but happy to hold my hands up if it's wrong.

As for the bit in bold, I don't know how anyone gets fees for their unwanted players, but they seem to manage it. I realise that it's hardly a stellar argument that I'm making there, but I can't help but ask some questions when people are fawning over his powers of alchemy.
It comes down to the inflated wages they are being paid. The players don't want to drop their wage, and no other club has people as stupid as Martinez, Walsh and Koeman to pay them that much for their limited abilities.

We have two centre halves and a few players who could possibly fill in there at a push. How was it not a priority position?

To be fair, we have three centre halves, one prospect and Gbamin to cover.

To be clear, I think we should have signed a centre half as our priority after Kean.

It comes down to the inflated wages they are being paid. The players don't want to drop their wage, and no other club has people as stupid as Martinez, Walsh and Koeman to pay them that much for their limited abilities.
Yeah, and to be fair to Everton, it was unfortunate that both Martinez and Koeman happened to go into jobs where they couldn't take any of their mates with them.

Yeah, and to be fair to Everton, it was unfortunate that both Martinez and Koeman happened to go into jobs where they couldn't take any of their mates with them.
Confused as to what you mean by that mate. Is it sarcasm? Martinez bringing his Wigan dross with him?

Agree. What has Brands actually been doing the last few months.
Had a tip off from an agent about Kean and acting on it. That must have taken 1-2 days work.
Then digging out a centre mid from Germany to replace Gueye - ok let’s wait and see.
Then a last minute expensive buy in an area that surely wasn’t a priority.
Nice work if you can get it.

I thought your posts before where extremely negative. Turns out you hit nail on the head and predicted some of the bullcrap Brands pulled. I apologise sir

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back