• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea on whether keeping Silva next year will prove correct. The recent signs are looking better though.

Defensively we've been OK in open play situations for much of the season. The set piece shambles was the big problem. That is a solvable problem as recent weeks have shown. If we've finally got to grips with being even half decent at defending them, then we should be a better team next year. If there's a repeat next season of basic errors on a repeated basis, then I'm afraid there will be no excuse for the manager.

I was shocked how good our defensive record is when you actually look at it.

That deserves some credit for sure.

I’m certainly not ‘expecting’ anything next season though.

Except probably to be underwhelmed again. But that’s not new is it?

Please reread the things you post. They’re really weird.

On Silva. I’m intrigued as to how next season will go. My fear is exactly the same as this one. I certainly will not be ‘expecting’ 7th.

There are waaay too many variables for us to be expecting anything. Mainly how bad we’ve been at times this year.

And we have no right expecting anything.

And despite my huge reservations in Silva I am impressed that the players like him and that the head honchos are true to their word in giving him time.

You set a very dangerous precedent with the argument of not expecting anything.

Take Bournemouth for example, their last 3 seasons have been:

16th
9th
12th

Thats good for them and their fans love good ol Eddie however would that be acceptable for us? No because we have higher expectations.

Same way as Man Utd have higher expectations than us.

As soon as you excuse failure you accept it and you can ultimately have no argument when you achieve it.

Silva has a 3 year contract to do a job - this season is likely a 9th/10th place finish - if he finishes 9/10/11 next season do you really want him to get that final year or even a contract extension?

Moshiri would expect better I imagine and we as fans should. The money is there, the good DOF is there, the new stadium is there, now its time for Silva to show what he can do with 2 transfer windows under his belt and 2 years with his squad.

The key is though mentality- its taken Silva near 4 months from the Anfield defeat to get the lads confidence back which is a worry - we look a side who play well when we're up for it but any sign of trouble (newcastle getting a goal back) we look likely to wilt.

This is the big one really.
Defensive errors/adapting to zonal marking can be fixed with time and training (as we’ve seen)
The mental fragility that the squad has displayed is a much tougher but to crack and I suspect goes much deeper than just Silva’s reign here.

We’ve got some difficult games coming up, so I expect we’ll find out pretty soon how much more work we need in that department.

Continuing to bring in players of the right mind-set and purging the club of the hangers on would be a massive step in the right direction this summer though!

You set a very dangerous precedent with the argument of not expecting anything.

Take Bournemouth for example, their last 3 seasons have been:

16th
9th
12th

Thats good for them and their fans love good ol Eddie however would that be acceptable for us? No because we have higher expectations.

Same way as Man Utd have higher expectations than us.

As soon as you excuse failure you accept it and you can ultimately have no argument when you achieve it.

Silva has a 3 year contract to do a job - this season is likely a 9th/10th place finish - if he finishes 9/10/11 next season do you really want him to get that final year or even a contract extension?

Moshiri would expect better I imagine and we as fans should. The money is there, the good DOF is there, the new stadium is there, now its time for Silva to show what he can do with 2 transfer windows under his belt and 2 years with his squad.

It really doesn’t. In fact the opposite. It actually helps with the inevitable heart break.

Unless you really think your opinion matters on here or in real life that much. But I can assure mine, or your expectation on next season doesn’t matter to anyone that can actually do anything about it.

Moshiri maybe. Us. Nah. They’ve proved year after year they don’t really care what we think.

If the team is improving and the football is getting better yes I would, Getting a new manager would just set us back AGAIN and we'd have to waste another season for the team to take to the new managers ideas.
Silva should be given room to breathe with boundaries of course, Brands helps with the players but he doesn't set the team or the style of the team. We'll just be going in circles at this point if we change to another manager which is what people are fed up with, You seem to think everyone will just accept us being mediocre because we're not demanding 7th, No lad we just understand it's a process that won't be instantly achieved whether you think getting 7th is easy or not.

You need to stop looking for a quick fix as it is not going to happen. Mindset of managers has changed. Silva/Brands are here to build and have already said it is not a quick process. Allardyce cannot be compared because they had different objects. BFS was here to sure us up which he did to a certain extent after the disaster of Koeman and Walsh mis-spending. Allardyce was not here to fix that but Silva is. Not an easy task. Silva could have arrived with a plan to make us dogged and not concede etc but that would have been misguided and is certainly not a process of building. We still have the deadwood that are bogging us down and it is going to take some time to get rid of them and at the same time get money for them considering the wages they are on.

We have been disappointing this season but we have still seen glimpses of some great football IMO. Progress on the pitch followed by lapses on the pitch. It is his first season and has only had one transfer window so far so summer will be interesting with Brands having the tough job of finding willing clubs to take our unwanted players that are still in contract. It is still a work in progress.
You should give workshops in common sense to certain members on the forum

I was shocked how good our defensive record is when you actually look at it.

That deserves some credit for sure.

I’m certainly not ‘expecting’ anything next season though.

Except probably to be underwhelmed again. But that’s not new is it?

Our shape defensively has been far better than last season. But the errors have been way more regular. It's very fixable but whether Silva is the person to do it, only time will tell.

I'm not making excuses for anything or anybody,just not getting carried away by a couple of decent results and one and a half good displays.
4 clean sheets out of 5 games
Apart from 1 half against Chelsea and 30 mins against Newcastle we have been very good
I’m no big Silva fan and 1 swallow doesn’t make a summer, but I can see progress and so far I’ve faith in Brands
His record at PSV speaks for itself and so far he hasn’t put a foot wrong here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back