Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
For everyone who's slagging Silva off, did you watch Hull last season, before and after he was their manager? Before he arrived, they were one of the worst teams in the Premier League era. They were bottom of the league, below an awful Sunderland team who've just been relegated again this season. When Silva took over, I thought he must be mad and had zero chance of keeping them up. They also sold their best performing player and top scorer, Snodgrass, in the January window.

Watching Hull very soon after Silva took over, I was amazed at the transformation. Normally, managers come to relegation-theatened teams and work on organsing the defence and trying to grind out results, but he got them playing attractive, attacking, passing football that was entertaining to watch. He managed to instil so much confidence and belief in a group of players who had looked completely out of their depth in the Premier League and, even more surprisingly, in a very short space of time, too. Yes, they still got relegated, but he gave a team who were dead certs to go down a fighting chance.

At Watford, he took over a team who had finished 17th the previous season and had them in about 7th place before we came calling. Who knows whether their dip in form was as a result of Silva's head being turned or players sulking, causing him to "lose the dressing room," or both, but when a team has a run of bad form it can be difficult to change the momentum, as we know only too well.

There are concerns about him, not least of which is the fact that he never seems to stay at any club very long, but perhaps that could change given the right environment to work in, and maybe he also has a point to prove. He's also had half a season to assess the current squad and work out what's needed. If anyone else was offered the job, they'd be starting from scratch.

Silva's clearly a very talented coach who knows how to get the best out of players, and his teams play entertaining football. I'm in.

Too busy hanging out with Brass.
Generally Im not for hiring ex players just because they had a connection with the club..but not finding some way that he can become involved is a bit of a waste and I would also include Peter Reid also...his passion and enthusiasm alone would be worth the exoense

For everyone who's slagging Silva off, did you watch Hull last season, before and after he was their manager? Before he arrived, they were one of the worst teams in the Premier League era. They were bottom of the league, below an awful Sunderland team who've just been relegated again this season. When Silva took over, I thought he must be mad and had zero chance of keeping them up. They also sold their best performing player and top scorer, Snodgrass, in the January window.

Watching Hull very soon after Silva took over, I was amazed at the transformation. Normally, managers come to relegation-theatened teams and work on organsing the defence and trying to grind out results, but he got them playing attractive, attacking, passing football that was entertaining to watch. He managed to instil so much confidence and belief in a group of players who had looked completely out of their depth in the Premier League and, even more surprisingly, in a very short space of time, too. Yes, they still got relegated, but he gave a team who were dead certs to go down a fighting chance.

At Watford, he took over a team who had finished 17th the previous season and had them in about 7th place before we came calling. Who knows whether their dip in form was as a result of Silva's head being turned or players sulking, causing him to "lose the dressing room," or both, but when a team has a run of bad form it can be difficult to change the momentum, as we know only too well.

There are concerns about him, not least of which is the fact that he never seems to stay at any club very long, but perhaps that could change given the right environment to work in, and maybe he also has a point to prove. He's also had half a season to assess the current squad and work out what's needed. If anyone else was offered the job, they'd be starting from scratch.

Silva's clearly a very talented coach who knows how to get the best out of players, and his teams play entertaining football. I'm in.
http://members.boardhost.com/peoplesforum/msg/1526906363.html

This whole, it's our fault that watford nosedived line is getting tiresome. There is simply no way ever that is provable.

people acting like he has a habit of leaving clubs because his head gets "turned" when he only did it at Watford? I mean he clearly got the works done on him by Moshri probably promising loads of things and when Watford rejected our advances he wanted out, I don't hold it against him I feel like most managers would prefer to come here who has a lot more promise and potential than Watford, Yes it's bad what he did but I'm not gonna hold it against him just because he did it once.

Come on, how do you know who is a great goalkeeping coach and who is crap?
But you were pointing out that there are plenty of goalkeeping coaches so why does it matter who we have? I'm arguing that we had one who, if you judge by the performances of the person he is responsible for, was doing a top job. So that suggests he's a good goalkeeping coach. Hard to see what point you're trying to make?

Mate, Pickford is decent, hopefully he'll develop into brilliant keeper and I'll bet my right nut he won't leave Everton for a very long time. I think you need to understand that he's not David De Gea - I'd personally welcome a new coach that could teach him how to deal with a corner.

At least we've moved on from competent to fairly competent, to decent and brilliant.

At least we've moved on from competent to fairly competent, to decent and brilliant.

Anyway, back on topic. I hope Silva replaces all of the backroom staff including Big Dunc the mascot. They can all go apart from jimmy the kit man.

I'm sure Pickford will cope mate.

But you were pointing out that there are plenty of goalkeeping coaches so why does it matter who we have? I'm arguing that we had one who, if you judge by the performances of the person he is responsible for, was doing a top job. So that suggests he's a good goalkeeping coach. Hard to see what point you're trying to make?

You need to take this to the Pickford thread.

You're getting very carried away. Like I've said to you before - he was decent, but not spectacular.

No because he was a good keeper before working with him, didn't notice any significant improvement from sundlerland to be honest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back