Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
And that's ok isn't it? I never understood the hate. He eventually failed here, but he's never had a bad word to say about Everton.

Really he is perfect for international management. He doesn't have a budget to worry about. He doesn't have to worry about fitness. He gets to be ultra positive without it wearing.

Perhaps he would succeed at big club level with a boss DOF and top notch fitness and defensive coaches at his side.
This. Wish him well. Always wanted him to do well here, but towards the end it was painful. Glad he's gone on to do well for Belgium.

Obviously International management (albeit with an outstanding Belgium side) is suited to him*

*Massively lucky against Japan like.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/06/brazil-belgium-world-cup-quarter-final-match-report
He may have been almost derided by the end of his time in the Premier League but Roberto Martínez deserves enormous credit for Belgium’s victory. His approach was bold, startlingly so, setting out a team who looked like the sort of line-up you would use to chase a game if you were a goal down with half an hour to go – as, of course they had been against Japan in the last round.

Marouane Fellaini and Nacer Chadli, heroes of that comeback, were included and the system was a surprising one: a 4-3-3 with De Bruyne deployed as a false nine and Romelu Lukaku pulling right, seemingly to try to attack the space between Miranda and Marcelo.

Martínez, perhaps, observing how the one goal Brazil had conceded in the tournament had come from a corner headed in by Switzerland’s Steven Zuber had decided an aerial assault was the best option.
Both the players he brought in were involved in Belgium’s opener and he could perhaps also take credit for his deployment of De Bruyne who, dropping deep, sliced open the defence with a through-ball delicious in every aspect other than the player it released was Fellaini.

His forward clank never seemed likely to result in a goal but it did win a corner and, when Chadli delivered to the near post, Gabriel Jesus and Fernandinho jumped together, the ball deflecting in off the midfielder’s right arm.

We know that RM had to go in the end as the clique wouldn't play for him. However, Roberto's World Cup run has damaged Everton as a club.

The decison makers look daft as a 'kin brush and we are being ridiculed over ridding us of him in order to bring in an utter caveman spanner like Koeman and then doubling down on the idiotic appointment with Allardyce.

Hopefully Silva puts this to bed and we win something under him.

Look I've never wanted to see the back of a manager more by the end but it killed me because that first season showed how good things could have been if he'd just tweaked one or two things at difficult times. The man clearly took the club to his heart, and I've been sarcastic about his record with Belgium but he does seem to be a lot happier and more his 2013/14 self working a lesser schedule. If he does go on to do it, I'll be first in line to congratulate him

We know that RM had to go in the end as the clique wouldn't play for him. However, Roberto's World Cup run has damaged Everton as a club.

The decison makers look daft as a 'kin brush and we are being ridiculed over ridding us of him in order to bring in an utter caveman spanner like Koeman and then doubling down on the idiotic appointment with Allardyce.

Hopefully Silva puts this to bed and we win something under him.
At the same time, we're being ridiculed by the media for sacking our Saviour - Fat Sam, so what's the argument here?

Martinez was well on his way to relegating us and it was so obvious it's gonna happen, but you keep wumming here again. What's the point of this, Davey? Is this your fetish?

Look I've never wanted to see the back of a manager more by the end but it killed me because that first season showed how good things could have been if he'd just tweaked one or two things at difficult times. The man clearly took the club to his heart, and I've been sarcastic about his record with Belgium but he does seem to be a lot happier and more his 2013/14 self working a lesser schedule. If he does go on to do it, I'll be first in line to congratulate him
Good man. Takes character. Maybe others could do the same....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back