MATCH THREAD: Tranmere Rovers vs Everton XI - Saturday 22nd July 2023 - KO 2pm BST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furey1878

Player Valuation: £70m
Just when you were in the height on enjoying an Everton-less summer, they come back swinging with two games on the very same day.

All reports indicate that the squad is being split into two, with the bulk of the first team globetrotting their way up to the eighth wonder of the world that is Wigan Town.

Meanwhile, the Under 21s and a supposed a handful of first team players, are said to be making up an Everton XI, who will be embarking on a perilous journey to the other side of the Scouse Riviera to do battle in a Merseyside Derby. No, not THE Merseyside Derby, of course (as I believe Marine A.F.C. were unavailable on this date).

The Super White Army (yikes) are preparing for their 4th consecutive season in League Two, having finished 12th last season. The good folk of Birkenhead will be hopeful of a push for the play off positions next term, and that for once there will be a light at the end of the tunnel and not just simply a toll charge and a crushing dose of reality, as is more often the case for them.

Incidentally, my PC wishes to auto-correct Birkenhead to Brokenhearted...
1689948331275.png

I myself will be in attendance at this one, I will be sat in the Kop (no, not that one) with my girlfriend and her mother who lives a stones-throw from Prenton Park. I'm hopeful of some good weather, a pleasant afternoon not watching the actual first team, and a chance to see some of our youngsters a bit more closely. Katia Kouyate announced himself to the travelling Evertonians in Switzerland with a lovely rifled effort into the roof of the net, it would be good to perhaps see some others make an impression.

With that in mind, once the squads are announced tomorrow, I think we'll see just where about these players stand in this squad right now, young and old. For the first teamers who take part against Tranmere, will they be those that are just a bit behind the rest fitness-wise and are getting eased into pre-season (Dele, Seamus etc...) ? Or will it be a statement of who is not in the manger's plans and needs to push their agent for a move (Holgate, Gbamin etc...)? Or maybe both?

As for the U21s, I suspect the likes of Warrington or Onyango are at that precipice of are they going to be a part of the squad or is it time for them to spread their wings in the EFL? Time will tell.

This is perhaps gone on too long for what is certainly Everton's least important game of pre-season so with that in mind I'll leave you with some nice pictures.

Prediction: Tranmere Rovers 3-2 Everton XI

1689948056837.png

1689948065495.png

1689948071795.png

1689948078591.png

Inciden

Attachments

• 1689948272495.png
    1689948272495.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I'll be there in the away end. Hoping to see Mills and Dobbin. Didn't get to see too much of Dobbin at Derby last year but saw loads of Mills for the 21s. Okoronkwo getting a test against league opposition will be worth a watch too.

I'll be there in the away end. Hoping to see Mills and Dobbin. Didn't get to see too much of Dobbin at Derby last year but saw loads of Mills for the 21s. Okoronkwo getting a test against league opposition will be worth a watch too.

Kind of forgotten about Dobbin, liked the look of him in that game away to Chelsea and I played footy with this lad from Derby who rated him

Status
Not open for further replies.