• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Microphone on Referees

Status
Not open for further replies.

I’d love it just to hear: “yeah no worries Mo your next dive is a penalty mate”

“The money’s just cleared Pep, your lot can do what they want now”

And

“Paul lad I’ve spoke to Fergie and you’re getting 8 minutes”

Graham Poll said on BT not long back that it's the clubs stopping this practice from happening, that they feel what is said on the pitch should stay out there. Basically he meant that the Sky clubs like the bias towards them from officials and won't approve anything that will help put a stop to that.

They do it in the rugby when there is a TMO decision (their version of VAR) you can hear everything the ref is saying in the stands and it helps give clarity to the decisions or why it’s gone to TMO.
At the Six Nations, you can purchase a little earpiece, which is an FM radio tuned into a broadcast of the ref's commentary, and it's absolutely brilliant.

You understand their decisions and it makes following the game much easier; also, you can hear the team being told to basically do one and follow his decision!

There should be after game interviews of referees. I don't know why this isn't a thing.

I think it is two fold. Firstly, every ref has an assessor at the match, and they go through every game with them, so a ref saying stuff on telly might influence the reporting.

And secondly, the only time you would want to hear them would be to explain a controversial decision, ergo, hiding to nothing. Can you imagine Gary Linekar saying, "Well we all agree that you had a good game Mike, talk us through that excellent advantage you played"

At the Six Nations, you can purchase a little earpiece, which is an FM radio tuned into a broadcast of the ref's commentary, and it's absolutely brilliant.

You understand their decisions and it makes following the game much easier; also, you can hear the team being told to basically do one and follow his decision!

But in rugby, tons of technical offences lead to penalties and cards that are impossible to see from the stands. Most offences in football are seen by most of the crowd.

But in rugby, tons of technical offences lead to penalties and cards that are impossible to see from the stands. Most offences in football are seen by most of the crowd.
True, but it would still be nice to hear a ref's reasoning behind the decisions that they make. Why wasn't it a pen? Why did he feel it warranted a booking?

For me, it'd help improve the level of transparency and, with VAR, chip away at the imbalance that we all see; It isn't a magic bullet, but better than we've got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back