Mikel Arteta won’t rule out surgery on groin injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpys top lip

Player Valuation: £60m
From the Post
MIKEL ARTETA is refusing to rule out the possibility of surgery on the groin injury that is forcing him to play through the pain barrier.

Everton manager David Moyes is hoping that the Spanish playmaker can use his rest time to allow the injury to heal naturally without the need for an operation.

But while Arteta is hopeful he can avoid that outcome and play a part in Everton’s much-anticipated run-in for the remainder of the season, he has revealed that the pain has become so intense he wants to get rid of it by any means possible.

He is being considered for Sunday’s showdown at home to Portsmouth, who are currently three points behind fourth-placed Everton. But he missed Monday’s 2-0 victory at Manchester City as he returned to his homeland for more treatment on a problem that has been bothering him for almost four months.

“I really want to be able to play pain-free again,” said Arteta, who also sat out the UEFA Cup last 32 first leg at SK Brann in Norway a fortnight ago.

“That is why I have missed the games recently. It is feeling better but I am still not sure if it is going to be pain-free for the next game. It is something that is hard to get rid of quickly. It has been there for three-and-a-half months and I don’t want it to continue until the end of the season.

“I want to be enjoying my football, not worrying about doing something that might bring the pain back. Hopefully the time I have spent back in Spain in the last few weeks will help improve it and I will be happier playing again.”

Arteta has conceded that his desire to be involved in Everton’s thriving campaign has added to his agony. After the visit of Portsmouth Everton turn their attentions to the two-legged last 16 UEFA Cup tie with Fiorentina and Arteta is desperate to boost Moyes’s selection options during such a season-defining period.

“It really needs rest to get rid of it properly and some players would be happy to sit out for eight weeks to do that,” said Arteta.

“But I want to be playing and helping the team. That is why I have tried not to stop.

“We have had a great season and we want that to keep going right until May. We are all confident we can do something special this season and it is a privilege to be a part of that.

“I want to play as big a role as possible in helping the lads continue to get good results, both in the league and in Europe.

“This has been a fantastic season and I want to make sure I miss as little of it as possible, for myself, my team-mates and the fans.”

Moyes also hopes that Arteta can eliminate the need for surgery with effective periods of rest.

He said: “Mikel has been worried about this for a few months and so have we.

“It’s something we hope will be cured by rest and it’s not a problem that will need surgery.

“He will keep getting treatment and have some injections to get him through it. We will just have to see how he is.”

What do you think. Is it time he gets this sorted on the op table. He has'nt been himself since it flaired up. How long would the recovery be from a groin oparation?

Thing is, Is it worth risking him long term? Or should we try an waite till the end of the season?

I reckon he'll miss the run in, i'd be very surprised if he plays in the derby, for me, he seems to go missing for whatever reason when the big games come calling.

I reckon he'll miss the run in, i'd be very surprised if he plays in the derby, for me, he seems to go missing for whatever reason when the big games come calling.

That just proves that my whisper was correct!

I'll be gutted if he misses the run in.

But Fernandes will have to step up now and take Ossie's place while Ossie goes to the wing imo.

I don't think he should have surgery til the summer, but I can't see him being anything other than a "free kick winner" during the run in, teasing players into fouling him.

I also reckon he should stop taking all the corners for a bit.

If we play like we did against City, then he can take his time getting healthy as far as I'm concerned.

Now if we don't...

To be fair, i'd have a suspected hernia all year round if his missus was in my bed, i firmly believe that it's a sexual injury that he has...jammy bastardos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back