Votes: 146 43.8%
  • Lennon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kone

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rom +1 for the equalizer, a case study in composure (letting the deflection settle) and world-class striker skills (no easy task to generate that much power and accuracy while stationary/flat-footed).

A big thank you to Can and Skrtel for the assist.

I settled with Rom. A lot of the load was given to him. He received a lot of direct balls - some of which were mistimed or just not the appropriate pass. But he stayed with all of them, held the ball up well when he needed to, let plays develop, and ultimately had his patience pay off with great equalizer. A lot of poise from him. I think he also showed his mature side with the Sakho incident. I have to admit that Rom worried me when he first got here- him being a young striker that was a bit used to giving up on plays. But he really has been dependable.

What really stands out for me is his strength. Yes, everyone knows he's a big, strong dude, but a lot of those plays that require strength (positioning for air balls, etc.) also require maturity and patience. He's shown he can rumble physically with defenders without getting out of hand and committing a foul, as well as not giving up when these defenders offer resistance.

I was tempted to go with either Jags or Funes Mori. Jags is just so damn dependable with his last minute tackles and getting in the way of entry passes! And he held together a line that was immature and not necessarily used to playing together. In sum, our captain is a badass! Funes Mori would have gotten it for me, though, if Rom hadn't scored the equalizer. He has a spark to him when he touches the ball. Isn't intimidated whatsoever by the stage. Seems to communicate well (I saw him a point and do some gestures a few times during the game - as I can imagine his English isn't the best). Wasn't afraid to take a crack at goal either!

I don't really see this draw is too much of a negative like most here. We held our own and answered with a goal when we needed to. i get that Liverpool is weak at the moment, but we aren't at "full strength" either, missing 3 of the 4 regular backs. I think we take a risk when we start Tyias, Brendan, and Ramiro together, but this "calculated" risk is paying off. We aren't losing, the young lads are getting experience (which will serve us in the long run), and our schedule gets significantly better when the month is over. We will be looking at the games like this one (much of the players out), where we took draws, and be thankful that we aren't getting 0 points.

Funes Mori's English is actually very good, @Miami Blue - he grew up in the USA. Check the interviews with him on the OS/Youtube :)
oh wow did not know this! Just looked it up. Couldn't find exactly where he grew up in the US, but I did see a story about Jurgen Klinsman trying to get his twin brother to play for the U.S. National team, because he grew up in Texas. I can only assume that's where Ramiro grew up as well. Pretty cool! If his brother is anywhere near as good a player as he is, he would be a great addition to my US squad hehe :)

Lukaku just shaded it over Jagielka. Thought Jagielka was superb yesterday and again stepped up and took a couple of inexperienced players under his wing and shown what a great player he is.

Howard 7
Browning 6
Jagielka 8
Funes Mori 7
Galloway 7
McCarthy 6
Barry 7
Naismith 5
Barkley 7
Deulofeu 4
Lukaku 8

Lukaku just shaded it over Jagielka. Thought Jagielka was superb yesterday and again stepped up and took a couple of inexperienced players under his wing and shown what a great player he is.

Howard 7
Browning 6
Jagielka 8
Funes Mori 7
Galloway 7
McCarthy 6
Barry 7
Naismith 5
Barkley 7
Deulofeu 4
Lukaku 8

Ah wasn't sure this was a thread for ratings, will add my own. Not too dissimilar to yours actually

Howard 7
Browning 6
Jagielka 8
Funes Mori 3
Galloway 7
McCarthy 7
Barry 8
Naismith 4
Barkley 7
Deulofeu 6
Lukaku 8

Ah wasn't sure this was a thread for ratings, will add my own. Not too dissimilar to yours actually

Howard 7
Browning 6
Jagielka 8
Funes Mori 3
Galloway 7
McCarthy 7
Barry 8
Naismith 4
Barkley 7
Deulofeu 6
Lukaku 8
lol