moyes for 5 more years

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that a lot of it lies with the scouting.

Unearthing the gem that might not cost as much as someone else and then comes in and tears it up a la Lescott or Cahill.

Selective quotes from Moyes:

"When I came here I had a five-year plan for us to be better at Everton. I have now got a plan for the next five years that would see us become a regular Champions League club."

"All those clubs around us will catch up if we don't stay ahead of the game," added the Scot. "What some clubs are doing now is not necessarily putting foundations in place but spending to get a quicker result. The next stage for us is to raise our level and the standard of player and that has cost implications, but I am confident in Bill. You would have to compliment him on how he has moved this club on."

"I see myself as being here for another five years," he said. "This is a crucial time but the most crucial thing is the first team keep playing well. That's my job and the other parts are down to the board".

"I want a scouting system as good as Manchester United's and Arsenal's. The plan for me does not just include money for first-team players, it is how we make Everton bigger and better."

Great stuff :yahoo:

Best manager in the league

In my opinion, is Moyes. Without a doubt. As any fan, I will undoubtedly be bias but it is essential our board back this man as much as they have ever in the summer;

The Guardian

David Moyes has warned Everton's directors that they face a crucial test of their ambition this summer and that it would be "unforgivable" to squander the momentum behind his pursuit of the Champions League.Though fourth in the Premier League, Everton did not spend as heavily as their rivals for Europe in the transfer window. Manuel Fernandes and Anthony Gardner, brought in at the last minute from Tottenham Hotspur as a consequence of Alan Stubbs's late departure to Derby County, were the only additions to Moyes's first-team squad.
The Everton manager has few complaints about January's frugal spending, admitting he was in no panic to improve his emerging squad and had been fully aware the club-record outlay of £11m on Yakubu Ayegbeni last August would affect last month's budget. However, he believes that Everton have now reached a stage in his development programme where only signings in the Yakubu price bracket can take the club forward. The Scot believes the next transfer window will shine a light on the resources and ambition of the chairman, Bill Kenwright, and his fellow directors.
"It would be unforgivable if it fell apart now," said Moyes, whose side travel to Blackburn Rovers this afternoon. "We cannot slip away now and if we want to challenge then we have to be in there [signing top players]. I am not going to give up, I am going to keep challenging the clubs around us and above us.
"We are coming to a stage now at Everton where we need to decide what we are going to go and challenge if we can, although spending loads of cash doesn't guarantee anything. We have seen some clubs spending millions this season to try and be champions and it has not worked for them, but I think you can see that the better players tend to cost more money. Yakubu has shown that. He has come up with the goals for us.
"I have to keep forcing the issue and keep advising the club in what I think is the right way to go. When I came here I had a five-year plan for us to be better at Everton. I have now got a plan for the next five years that would see us become a regular Champions League club."
Everton have enjoyed under Moyes a period of stability many of their Premier League rivals have lacked, but the wealth of Manchester City, Tottenham, Portsmouth and Aston Villa has intensified the fight with Liverpool for Champions League qualification.
"All those clubs around us will catch up if we don't stay ahead of the game," added the Scot. "What some clubs are doing now is not necessarily putting foundations in place but spending to get a quicker result. The next stage for us is to raise our level and the standard of player and that has cost implications, but I am confident in Bill. You would have to compliment him on how he has moved this club on."
Moyes was keen yesterday to stress that his challenge to the board was not a sign that he had become disillusioned with financial limitations after almost six years at Everton. "I see myself as being here for another five years," he said. "This is a crucial time but the most crucial thing is the first team keep playing well. That's my job and the other parts are down to the board.
"I want a scouting system as good as Manchester United's and Arsenal's. The plan for me does not just include money for first-team players, it is how we make Everton bigger and better."

I honestly think with a bit of money, a bit of luck in the scouting market and with a few youth players fulfilling even half their potential, we could very well be a regular champions league outfit under Moyes within 5 years.

that is in the press again about us needing to spend in the summer. pretty strong stuff from moyes saying basically that bargains and gambles in the chamionship can only take
us to where we are now.

now we need to be in when top end talent is available. i wonder how much he intends to spend? imagine if we were in for players with the price tag and ability of torres in the summer! sounds unlikely... but reading between the lines it's what moyes wants.

a top 4 finish this season could be the real deal for moving the club on.

This summer is a big, big one for the future of Everton. How long has Moyes got on his contract?

I think it will be a case of 'right, support my ambitions or am off'.

Did anyone hear Bill on Soccer Saturday! Got to say he came across poorly while talking of our finaces. It appears our ability to fund transfers comes from "pulling a rabbit out of a hat"!:blink:

Last edited:
This summer is a big, big one for the future of Everton. How long has Moyes got on his contract?

I think it will be a case of 'right, support my ambitions or am off'.

Not yet..but if an old man in manchester decides to retire....:eek:

Did anyone hear Bill on Soccer Saturday! Got to say he came across poorly while talking of our finaces. It appears our ability to fund transfers comes from "pulling a rabbit out of a hat"!:blink:

Bill as in Bill Kenwright??

Just wish he shut the feck up the old ham

I am happy that Moyes is ambitious but our turnover is simply way too low to dish out cash like that. It's not that our board just decides not to provide money. We just don't have any of that money available.

My biggest worry with Moyes is not him going to Man Utd but Celtic, he is a Celt through and through. We all expected old blues like Joe Royle and Howard Kendall to come running from successful teams they had created, I wonder if the call of the north would be too much for him to turn down?????

Incidentally the poison dwarf Strachan is under mounting pressure to get one over on Walter Smith........................says it all really he could be chopped sooner rather than later

Status
Not open for further replies.